Supressors... worth the effort?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Rath
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Re: Supressors... worth the effort?

Post by Rath »

louie the fly wrote:have you guys seen the movie shooter??

He uses a plastic bottle over the end of a .22 as a suppressor!! theres an idea boys!! no paper work!! :lol:

BTW it doesn't work, because as soon as the movie finished i tried it!
I "hear" it works very well with a few simple mods....
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

Louie

You must have done something wrong, I heard it works very well also on a CZ 22. From what I heard, someone with a lathe machine a piece of alloy to screw onto the barrel and the plastic water bottle screwed onto that, then they just put a round through it and it punched a hole in the end. They then drilled that a little bigger and away they went. Only problem is it changed the POI, they made it for the use of a flash suppressor so when in the paddocks you couldnt start a fire. Clever hey.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

my 17hmr spits embers everywhere. it's a bit of a worry :?
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

A tightly rolled newspaper also works.

Regards

Sean
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Keep it legal everyone. If you think you are promoting an illegal activity I suggest you edit your posts...
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

Certainly not 'promoting' nor condoning 'illegal' activities. The suggestion was for none other then academic purposes.

Regards

Sean
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

The use of a suppressor is illegal if you dont have a permit. I for one and am sure everyone else here wouldnt break the law. But as we are in a democracy, we are by law, allowed to talk about sound suppressors, can even discuss how one would make one if one wanted to break the law. But I only want to talk about suppressors for education and knowledge. You can never know enough hey.
pete152
.22 WMR

Post by pete152 »

pete152 wrote:
Trev wrote:Pete
What use is that course, for me it isn't a skill or knowledge problem, In Victoria, your really need to be a Pro Shooter to get a suppressor, even then it isn't easy. But just the Pro Shooter licence is an issue, it isn't s skill or training problem, the fact is that you need to be able to show the Firearms Registry here in Victoria that you are financially Dependant on hunting, here is the two clauses that have screwed me.

Evidence that demonstrates that you are substantially dependent upon hunting as a
source of income.
AND
Written evidence of contracts or formal engagements to hunt professionally.

Those two screwed me, as I already have an income (they checked with the tax dept) they deemed that shooting would not be a substantial contributor to my income. Basically you have to quit your job or have no income. Second problem is the contracts, i provided 5 letters from land owners, they deemed that not enough to be a viable. Plus they requested letters from accountants showing my earnings from the business, hahaha. I started the business so I could get the suppressor not earn money lol, of well, they caught me out.
You end up with a licence called "Accredited Pest Control Officer". I do not know if that will help you down there. Stalker would be the best to talk too as he has gone thru and done it.

Those two parts you mention are very difficult to get around by the sounds of it. We need some letters from people saying they would consider hiring me if I obtained a licence from the police,but the accountants letter not so far. Maybe that will be the next thing they throw at me!

I will be solely doing pest control work next year so that may help, I also have a trap supply business.

It has been two months now, I should hear more from the police soon, I hope and let you know how I went.

Cheers,
Peter
Well after a long drawn out exercise I have finally received the updated licence with occupational on it! very happy indeed.
Cheers,
Peter
WhiteMeat
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223AI

Post by WhiteMeat »

Sean Ambrose wrote:A tightly rolled newspaper also works.

Regards

Sean
Hehe, I believe the KGB used to use this, along with the old umbrella with a poison pill in the end of it :shock:
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

WhiteMeat wrote: Hehe, I believe the KGB used to use this, along with the old umbrella with a poison pill in the end of it :shock:
Although it may be off topic, I have a documentary on the KGB and how they used honey traps 'prostitutes' as a means to retrieve information via the process of blackmail.

Regards

Sean
gigitt
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by gigitt »

feralbuster wrote:When you blokes get it all sorted let me know: I just want to put an order in for the suppressed shotgun old mate had in the film "no country for old men"....

In the meantime, I'm buying a PCP air rifle so that I can quietly & accurately dispose of bunnys, pigeons and some other aerial vermin. No paperwork other than the usual for an Airgun fellas!
My PCP is loud! 26-27ft .20cal
If you are in the open it is OK... But as soon as you are within proximity of a building or wall and even tress you have to wear ear protection. The sound reflections are dangerous.

It sounds like the cracking of a whip. It is quite sharp and high pitched.

At the small bore range it was way louder than everyone shooting subsonics.

You will need to find a PCP with adjustable energy.
PCP's are very accurate :)
trapper
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by trapper »

My 0.25cal 45fpe PCP is also very loud. :o earplugs are a must.