Supressors... worth the effort?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: Supressors... worth the effort?

Post by kjd »

feralbuster wrote:When you blokes get it all sorted let me know: I just want to put an order in for the suppressed shotgun old mate had in the film "no country for old men"....

In the meantime, I'm buying a PCP air rifle so that I can quietly & accurately dispose of bunnys, pigeons and some other aerial vermin. No paperwork other than the usual for an Airgun fellas!
Mate have you fired an unmoderated PCP before? the ones in the 25-30ft/lb range are quite louder then a spring gun...
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

Well the official line is that none of us can ever have a Sound Suppressor.

This is what I did in an attempt to get one.

1. Written application to the Attorney Generals dept, reasons, primary producer, stock losses etc etc. That failed.

2. Registered a Business name and obtained an ABN. Grabbed this info and applied for a Class D licence. That failed.

Not only do you have to be a pro shooter and in Business, you have to show that the Shooting Business is your major income, I even had to have a letter from an accountant showing my income from the business. Even tried the business has just started and no income generated trick, that failed. I even gave my mates money so they could give me the money and I give them a reciept for services, problem with that was that it was not considered enough of an income compared to my other income for it to be considered a major income or that I was substantially dependant on that income. They even required letters from land holders stating that I was employed by them. Frikken hell, every avenue I tried was closed.

Does anyone want to buy a Business, mine is now up for sale, "Rural Pest Management Services" B223223N.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

i buy it for $1 :P
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

Hey Stalker

Can you PMSG me, I would love to discuss the Pro Licence with you.

Trev
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

Trev wrote:Hey Stalker

Can you PMSG me, I would love to discuss the Pro Licence with you.

Trev
i don't think stalker is on the forum anymore trev. something about his head not fitting into the room he keeps his computer in.
pete152
.22 WMR

Post by pete152 »

Try sending an email to these people, they may help with what you are after.

http://www.firearmtraining.com.au/html/pcaccred.htm

Cheers,
peter

PS. also have a look at this site http://www.sub-silentsuppressors.com/
pete152
.22 WMR

Post by pete152 »

Trev wrote:Well the official line is that none of us can ever have a Sound Suppressor.

This is what I did in an attempt to get one.

1. Written application to the Attorney Generals dept, reasons, primary producer, stock losses etc etc. That failed.

2. Registered a Business name and obtained an ABN. Grabbed this info and applied for a Class D licence. That failed.

Not only do you have to be a pro shooter and in Business, you have to show that the Shooting Business is your major income, I even had to have a letter from an accountant showing my income from the business. Even tried the business has just started and no income generated trick, that failed. I even gave my mates money so they could give me the money and I give them a receipt for services, problem with that was that it was not considered enough of an income compared to my other income for it to be considered a major income or that I was substantially dependant on that income. They even required letters from land holders stating that I was employed by them. Frikken hell, every avenue I tried was closed.

Does anyone want to buy a Business, mine is now up for sale, "Rural Pest Management Services" B223223N.
Yes Trev, I am going thru it now!1 A whole barrel of fun , just like stalker said it would be. Do not give up, we can get thru to the other side!! (I hope)

Cheers,
Peter
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

Pete
What use is that course, for me it isnt a skill or knowledge problem, In Victoria, your really need to be a Pro Shooter to get a suppressor, even then it isnt easy. But just the Pro Shooter licence is an issue, it isnt s skill or training problem, the fact is that you need to be able to show the Firearms Registry here in Victoria that you are financially dependant on hunting, here is the two clauses that have screwed me.

Evidence that demonstrates that you are substantially dependent upon hunting as a
source of income.
AND
Written evidence of contracts or formal engagements to hunt professionally.

Those two screwed me, as I already have an income (they checked with the tax dept) they deemed that shooting would not be a substantial contributor to my income. Basically you have to quit your job or have no income. Second problem is the contracts, i provided 5 letters from land owners, they deemed that not enough to be a viable. Plus they requested letters from accountants showing my earnings from the business, hahaha. I started the business so I could get the suppressor not earn money lol, of well, they caught me out.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

what if you own and run a business like selling gym gear or something? could you register another business for the shooting ferals bit and put funds into it that way?

having said that you'd have to ask your self why do you really need a supressor and is all this worth the effort?
pete152
.22 WMR

Post by pete152 »

Trev wrote:Pete
What use is that course, for me it isnt a skill or knowledge problem, In Victoria, your really need to be a Pro Shooter to get a suppressor, even then it isnt easy. But just the Pro Shooter licence is an issue, it isnt s skill or training problem, the fact is that you need to be able to show the Firearms Registry here in Victoria that you are financially dependant on hunting, here is the two clauses that have screwed me.

Evidence that demonstrates that you are substantially dependent upon hunting as a
source of income.
AND
Written evidence of contracts or formal engagements to hunt professionally.

Those two screwed me, as I already have an income (they checked with the tax dept) they deemed that shooting would not be a substantial contributor to my income. Basically you have to quit your job or have no income. Second problem is the contracts, i provided 5 letters from land owners, they deemed that not enough to be a viable. Plus they requested letters from accountants showing my earnings from the business, hahaha. I started the business so I could get the suppressor not earn money lol, of well, they caught me out.
You end up with a licence called "Äccredited Pest Control Officer". I do not know if that will help you down there. Stalker would be the best to talk too as he has gone thru and done it.

Those two parts you mention are very difficult to get around by the sounds of it. We need some letters from people saying they would consider hiring me if I obtained a licence from the police,but the accountants letter not so far. Maybe that will be the next thing they throw at me!

I will be solely doing pest control work next year so that may help, I also have a trap supply business.

It has been two months now, I should hear more from the police soon, I hope and let you know how I went.

Cheers,
Peter
feralbuster
17 Hornet

Post by feralbuster »

[quote="kjd"
Mate have you fired an unmoderated PCP before? the ones in the 25-30ft/lb range are quite louder then a spring gun...[/quote]

No Keith, I haven't. I was under the illusion that they are as quiet or quieter as a 22 using subsonics? If thats not correct, then you've got me worried! My local vertebrate pest controller uses an Airarms PCP for disposal of pigeons in townships, and suggested that on a low setting it is fairly quiet.

Think I might be chucking a post on the airgun forum to get some opinions now!
cj7hawk
Favourite Cartridge: Air

Post by cj7hawk »

I think what a lot of people forget is that you have a lot of air coming out of a higher-powered PCP airgun - especially the ones that shoot up around 60-80 ft/lb. That makes a lot of noise and if you have one that is transonic, they sound just like a normal rifle. Even after mine drops below transonic, it's still loud though not quite as bad.

But if you go low enough in power, then they are quiet and pigeons don't take a lot to kill.

Heavy pellets help a lot, so go for a .22 or even a .25 maybe and look for pellets around 20gr or higher. 28gr Eun Jinn in .22 are good. There's some new ones being tested in the Airgun forum that also look promising.

Then ideally get a model with variable power and detune to keep the velocity down as far as you can go for what you are planning on doing.

David.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

feralbuster wrote:
kjd wrote: Mate have you fired an unmoderated PCP before? the ones in the 25-30ft/lb range are quite louder then a spring gun...
No Keith, I haven't. I was under the illusion that they are as quiet or quieter as a 22 using subsonics? If thats not correct, then you've got me worried! My local vertebrate pest controller uses an Airarms PCP for disposal of pigeons in townships, and suggested that on a low setting it is fairly quiet.

Think I might be chucking a post on the airgun forum to get some opinions now!
Sure they are as quiet as a 22 using subsonics (probably quieter) but the noise is unique sounds like a clap rather than a bang (think louder nailgun). If you have it on a low setting it is going to be heaps quieter than on high. It is not going to be silent though. Watch this youtube video that will give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6rdgbfXyWM
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

I have shot one with a plastic drink bottle on the end, amazing how much quieter it was with that.
louie the fly
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 25-06

Post by louie the fly »

have you guys seen the movie shooter??

He uses a plastic bottle over the end of a .22 as a suppressor!! theres an idea boys!! no paper work!! :lol:

BTW it doesn't work, because as soon as the movie finished i tried it!