Knife Sharpening Steel.

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Jock
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .17HMR

Knife Sharpening Steel.

Post by Jock »

What do I look for, in a good quality Knife sharpening Steel?

What is a good brand and model?
17MachIV
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Re: Knife Sharpening Steel.

Post by 17MachIV »

Jock

I usually buy all my skinning and boning knives and steels from the local butcher, ,mine doesn't seem to have a problem ordering them in for me and I have found it way cheaper than what I have seen in any retail shops.

regards
Steve
doidge5781
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by doidge5781 »

F.dick, I got mine from a mate who's a boner they kill and bone 800 odd pigs a day good enough for them good enough for me.
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

Something with a good name and not too rough, the smoother the better. Some of my knives like to be stropped rather than steeled.
dangaff
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .204

Post by dangaff »

I got my self a Lansky Standard Knife Sharpening System, as it was a good beginners sharpening kit for me, as it has guide rods and i really cant stuff it up.

I would just screw my knife up if i just had the single steel rods.

I am guessing your alot more experienced then me though
Rumpus
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Rumpus »

I use the square shaped F-Dick Steel, One edge has a fine cut and the other is a smooth... Awesome bit of gear.. But it really depends on the knives.. Fdicks are a softer steel so dont need much to get sharp again, knives with harder steel will require more work, but should stay sharp longer..

In the ute ive a accusharp type thingy and a small diamond steel
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

It is the normal story Jock by the best you can afford.My suggestion is to stay away from the Ceramic diamond impregnated steels as I have found them to be a bit savage on a softer blade.I don`t know the make of steel I have as it is the best part of 50 years old.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

another vote for the fdick. Dont own one personally but sed one for quite some time and it was by far the nicest steel i've ever used.
fallingblock
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22lr

Post by fallingblock »

these days there's 2 types of steel's I'm familiar with;

1. the traditional type that works to straighten the edge of the knife. You'll find butcher's still favour this type in a fine profile. F. Dick are excellent, expect to pay $150-300. German made steel's otherwise.

2. the newer diamond impregnated steel that takes metal off the knife like a diamond stone. With these, you can wear down a knife prematurely if you steel excessively.

Haven't used a ceramic version, so there's another in the mix.
Marco
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 7.62x39

Post by Marco »

ok news on the ceramic version, yes you can buy it here in oz i bought mine about 10 years ago in a commercial fishing shop
at pyrmont fish markets here in sydney and i still have it today
i rate it as a must have if you like me skin fish, here is an american
shop that has them USD$16.95, however this isnt a diamond/ceramic, its a porcelain steel. makes your knife cut like a shower of shit and your knife must shave to begin with, it just makes it shave a whole lot better

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expan ... de=MACSR85

heres what they look like
Attachments
macsr85.jpg
(26.08 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Jock,

I spent 4 years as a Slicer on the boning chain. The best steel that you could possibly acquire is an F.Dick Multi cut. This is the steel that I had, the day will come when I get another (unfortunately my father decided that he needed it more then I did).

I have since acquired a square blue handled Dick (two of its sides are more coarse whilst the other sides are for finishing). You should be able to find one of these for about $150.

The best way to destroy a good knife is with a gimmicky Lansky kit or Diamond encrusted steel.

A method employed for improving a steel is to leave it submerged in a bottle of vinegar for 24 hrs or staked in the ground for around three days, that is of course if you find a second hand one. Note; You must remove the surface rust with a very fine wet & dry before use.

Also there is technique in steeling a knife and one must be very gentle when steeling.

Stay away from gimmicky Lansky kits and Diamond encrusted steels you will do more harm then good.

Regards

Sean
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

Sean Ambrose wrote:G'day Jock,

I spent 4 years as a Slicer on the boning chain. The best steel that you could possibly acquire is an F.Dick Multi cut. This is the steel that I had, the day will come when I get another (unfortunately my father decided that he needed it more then I did).

I have since acquired a square blue handled Dick (two of its sides are more coarse whilst the other sides are for finishing). You should be able to find one of these for about $150.

The best way to destroy a good knife is with a gimmicky Lansky kit or Diamond encrusted steel.

A method employed for improving a steel is to leave it submerged in a bottle of vinegar for 24 hrs or staked in the ground for around three days, that is of course if you find a second hand one. Note; You must remove the surface rust with a very fine wet & dry before use.

Also there is technique in steeling a knife and one must be very gentle when steeling.

Stay away from gimmicky Lansky kits and Diamond encrusted steels you will do more harm then good.

Regards

Sean
Good post Sean, as far as prepping a steel goes I have used the iodine technique. Very labor intensive but works a treat.
First you get your steel, take a sharpening stone and polish off all the ribs untill its smooth all over.
Wipe it over with metho to remove any dust and oily finger prints it is improtant from here not to touch it with your fingers!
Once dry swab the steel with Tincture of Iodine solution and let hang for 24hrs.
Take some fine steel wool (the soft stuff you can buy in bulk from hardware stores etc.) and polish the steel, wipe over with metho again and repeat the process.
After three or four treatments the iodine will leave microscopic pitting in the steel but you must now keep it slightly oiled.
This will bring up any conventional steel a treat, I done it with the little white one that comes in the SSAA knife roll as it fits in my day pack.
PS, I did get sucked into the hype of the lansky kit, it does what it was intended to do but leaves a very ordinary edge on a good knife. I only use it now to establish an edge on a poorer quality or damaged knife then work from there.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Okay while on the topic of sharpening is their better stones to get too? I got one with a chisel set and seems pretty soft compared to the old mans? I was going to have a look in one of those knives stores like king of knives or something or is their somewhere else to go? Might have to get myself a good steel, the one that came with my kitchen set is absolutely hopeless and that is being nice.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Thank you Sean :!: :!: :!:

I was a slaughter-man for 6 years!
If one more person tells me to get a diamond steel they are going to wear it!
I do have a diamond stone, for sharpening my ROUTER bits!

People ask me all the time can I show them how to sharpen a knife, my answer yes
but I am not doing it for you!

The art of stealing a knife take PRACTICE and lots of it.
People have the misconception that the faster they go the better it is! WRONG!!!
You hit the nail on the head "very gentle" when steeling a knife!

Cheap knives are a lot of problem for people.

I was using hunting knives to skim sambar for years and hated them!
I now use a Dexter Russell 5 inch blade boning knife with the point knocked off so
it dose not score the hide, the same knife I used to use to fore quarter beef!

Glenn
Jock
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .17HMR

Post by Jock »

Glenn wrote:
I was using hunting knives to skim sambar for years and hated them!
I now use a Dexter Russell 5 inch blade boning knife with the point knocked off so
it dose not score the hide, the same knife I used to use to fore quarter beef!

Glenn
Hi Glenn,

Can you put up a Piccy of you Knife, please?