Knives

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
SWIPER

Knives

Post by SWIPER »

Will a cheap ebay knife stay sharp?
Rumpus
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: Knives

Post by Rumpus »

What sort of Knife??

Personally I stick to good brands, FDick, Victornox, Swibo.. In fact, my whole kitchen set is FDick.. Love them...
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

Please ,more info.??
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Swiper,

I worked in an abattoir for many years as a Slicer when steeled our knives would sing. Most days we would use the same blade for 10 hours on the chain.

I would only use Swibo and Dick but to make it simple any blade manufactured with Solingen, Rostfrei, Toledo or Sheffield steel will hold its edge unless of course you have no idea how to sharpen a blade.

For starting out I would be inclined to obtain a 6 inch Victorinox slicer then hollow grind it on a bench grinder then shape the blade to suit your requirements, if you can't do this your local butcher should be able to.

Regards

Sean
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

Mate there is a lot of shit on ebay when it comes to knives with only about 1% of it being any good. Waht type of knife are you after and what will you use it for and do you know how to sharpen a knife and keep it sharp?
My collection for the house and general meat work is a mongrel mix of FDick, giesser, victorinox, a Pride from NZ, a Keller aswell as a couple of handmade carbon steel knives to boot and i have just conned the missus into buying me a svord for my birthday!
Go online and buy from a butchers supplies or similar and stay away from ebay rubbish! Your local butcher may also sell knives, like Seans local butcher in the burg :wink: .
Oh and those king of knives shops are way overpriced also.
damien couper
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by damien couper »

cheack out this place http://www.everten.com.au/category/chef ... -by-brand/
if you going to buy off ebay stick the the brands you know the cheap shit is just that shit
SWIPER

Post by SWIPER »

All I need is just a general pocket knife to throw in the bag whilst walking round the paddock. Skin the odd rabbit etc.

Were talkin 20 bucks here so I am not expecting much. seller says its 440C Stainless Steel??
Attachments
knife.jpg
(25.25 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Two things dictate the sharpness (and sharpening simplicity) of a knife. Metal type and tempering.

Many cheap knives will tell you they use 440 stainless. 440A is not as good as 440C, neither will work well if it is not hardened (tempered) properly.

D2 steel is great, but if hardened too much it becomes very brittle and the knife breaks or is impossible to sharpen. 1095 steel is pretty hard to go past as tempering it is easy. S30V is very popular for high end knives. The list goes on.

Good steel, tempered properly, costs money. There is no cheap method here and cheap knives are usually dead weight in your pocket.

Take a look at the big knife manufacturers like Benchmade, Gerber, etc. A good knife design chooses the steel and temper appropriate to the function the knife is designed to do. If you can tell us what you want it to do, then we can give you some options about what we have found to be useful.
Rumpus
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Rumpus »

Mmm, Yea, Prob dont want to be carrying 3 differant knives in just a day pack.. In the Car I carry a boner, Skinner and sticker. But for a day bag I recon a leatherman on the belt is the go.. Skinning rabbits only requires one smal split and the leatherman had plyers and all ya other tools ya might need for odd jobs..
fallingblock
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22lr

Post by fallingblock »

in pocket knives I like the Schrade Oldtimer 3 blade stockman knife. Have 3 of these in varying sizes. Good carbon steel that keeps a fine edge & you can sharpen easily. Yes they are available on ebay but most are of the more recent Chinese made. Can still get the odd new US version for about $60 even though production ceased from there about 5 yrs ago.
fenring

Post by fenring »

I've got a few knives off this bloke:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Ideal-Ou ... QQ_armrsZ1

Combines shipping so it' cheap if you want a couple.

Some of the S+W's and Bokers are OK for bunnies etc, the CRKT's are good, preferably in the AUS8 or 8Cr14MoV steel. Kershaw good too.
17hmr
.243 Winchester

Post by 17hmr »

never had a problem with my crkt. its the first one to be thrown in the bag