Need some advise on Scope

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Need some advise on Scope

Post by matang »

I have a full clancy custom 204 with heavy barrel . When I had rifle built I ordered the scope through Shane. I was thinking a Leupold VXL or Nightforce. Shane said both are a good choise but he recomended the Nightforce BR 6-32x56. The scope got lost lost in mail and Shane could only get hold of a 12-42x56 with NP1 rectile for the same price. Against my better judge ment I got the scope. The optics were great but the field of view was to small and 12 power to high as this rifle is a dedicated fox rifle under the spotlight. It was great for load develpment and shooting groups. Sold scope and got a leupold VXL 4.5-14x56 with G4 rectile. Have been shooting this scope for a month. Love the optic as clear as the Nightforce if not better. But I got the wrong rectile. It was what they had at the time. The cross hairs are a bit thick for those 250 to 300 yard shots and no where near good as the Nightforce for shooting groups.
Now I dont know if I should go back to a nightforce 4-15X56 NF with a NP2-DD rectile as I have been told that this rectile is great for varmint shooting at night or go with a Leupold VX3L 4.5-14x56 as I have been told by gun stores this would be better optics at night and I do like the the way they sit low on rifle for good check weld which promotes better shooting. The Nightforce is $1250 the Leupold $1750. All our shots are taken out window of ute or off the bonnent with a big pillow. I use a 170 lightforce with red celephane over spotlight as the foxes dont run as much.
I have 6 weeks of work and 6 farms total about 10 000 acres of Dairy and sheep farms that want me out to get after the foxes. I want to order this scope on Monday and any advise would be great
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Need some advise on Scope

Post by MISSED »

6.5-20x50 Vortex viper.Check Antony site he had some on special.IMO equal to the loopy under the light.Don`t know about the Nightforce
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Hi matang,
I have looked through the vxl's but not the vx3l(these are supposed to be the best lens that leupold have fitted to their scopes.)Some of the optic forums in the US still think they are not worth the price they are charging.
I have never had a nightforce scope that does not perform under spotlights.I currently own 4.
The reticle on the leupold will be important as some find their fine duplex difficult to pick up.
The ir on the NF is beautiful to use under lights against difficult backgrounds.
I personally would buy the NF,because I haven't had a problem with one and I doubt that the vx3l will be a 40%(cost difference) improvement over the NF.
hope you like which ever you get.
Macca
Drafty
Favourite Cartridge: na

Post by Drafty »

MISSED wrote:6.5-20x50 Vortex viper.Check Antony site he had some on special.IMO equal to the loopy under the light.Don`t know about the Nightforce
The only problem with the Vortex is that Anthony has limited stck available with the different recticle - zoom options. Best to give him a call.

Like all scopes though best to look through one before purchasing if you can.
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

So Matang, did you end up selling the 12-42 Nightforce?

Dave
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Dont want to criticize and im sure you checked it first but a gun pointing at the young ones with a bolt closed isnt the sort of thing I would put up on the net. JMHO.
Dave.223
.220 Swift

Post by Dave.223 »

Nah look again Brad, the bolt is up.

Dave
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Jeez you have good eyes dave, I couldnt tell until i went back and had a real good look.

My utmost apologies, im going to get my eyes checked- Sorry Matang, should never had doubted you
Dave.223
.220 Swift

Post by Dave.223 »

I might be in the market for a 12-42 NF for on my 6BR. Could be just the go.

Dave
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Dave.223 wrote:I might be in the market for a 12-42 NF for on my 6BR. Could be just the go.

Dave
I've got one on mine and it does very well.At the range or under lights.
Have a good one,
Macca
Dave.223
.220 Swift

Post by Dave.223 »

Thanks Macca. I have put my NXS on my Remmy 6BR which should be a ball tearer under the spotlight with the 70 grain NBT and the 12-42 would be good on my Stiller.
:rifle:

Cheers

Dave
chris thomas
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: na

Post by chris thomas »

I'm using a NXS 8-32 on my .223 and it's working well. The NXS has a little more FOV than the BR and a little slimmer on a hunting rifle. My Reticle is a NP-1

My next rifle will wear a NXS 5.5-22 x 50

Regards

Chris Thomas
Dave.223
.220 Swift

Post by Dave.223 »

They are great scopes. I now have my NXS in the Nightforce ultralight rings and 20 MOA mounts. It is really working well in this set up.

Cheers

Dave
Favourite Cartridge: 270

Post by 270 »

This is an awesome varmint scope, more compact than the Nightforce, and great optics, I am a bit flexible with the price, 20 power top end is really necessary with a varmint rifle, and 6.5 bottom end has a great feild of veiw

http://ausvarmint.kjd84.com/forum/viewt ... f=5&t=7372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

Matang, I had the same VX-L on my .204. It is a tad undergunned in my opinion. A .204 deserves higher magnification then 14X. Mine now wears an NSX 5.5-22 X 56. Just about perfect. Ill Mil-dot reticle is nice too.