Wolf Eyes Mounting

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Stalker

Re: Wolf Eyes Mounting

Post by Stalker »

Trev, your setup is great mate. Thanks for all the pics etc. Why can't Wolfeyes and all the other tactical torch mobs just make a mount like a Lightforce scope mount where the torch simply slides on and off and you can leave the base on the scope?? Not really a revolutionary idea but works like a charm, cheap, quick
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

Stalker, can you post me a couple of pics of the setup your talking about. I may be able to make something up.

Trev
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

Stalker, can you post a couple of pics? The main reason we haven't put huge efforts into mounts is the majority of our users use picatinny rails, then probably 25% of other users already have a mount due to our 1" body size being common with other types of mounts. That said we are keen to get the best mounting systems we can which meets a large amount of peoples needs.

A question, given a choice, would most prefer something mounted below the barrel such as a QR Bipod mount or a scope mount?
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

Glen

I prefer the scope mount, yet when I worked, we mounted them on the side with the rails. Im not sure I would like the underneath style or bipod style for the type of shooting most of us do on here, the hunting use would tend to require and above style mount so we can rest on fenceposts, roofs, roll over hoops etc. But in a tactical style then the side mount or underneath mount was fine as we had nothing else to put there. If you look around the web, most of the hunting style users are mounting them on their scopes, just with a variety of made up mounts.

Im going to make a new mount in the next week, it will be similar but will have a knurled knob to tighten and will have two slots that will allow a slide up and down action that is infinately adjustable and will cover 35 mm to 60 mm Objectives.
Maybe we could do a deal if you like it.

Trev
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

Definitely Trev, of great interest. We also find on the F88 most guys prefer a side mount, usually left side if r/h as it draws the weapon onto their hip or vica versa. My concern was not wanting to add more weight to the scope (inc mounts etc) if other options were there.
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

I'll try and post some pics this arvo
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

Thanks Stalker
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

Glen,

Your point about the extra weight is valid but also not valid, bottom line is as soon as you fit the torch (no matter where) you have the extra weight, I tried one on top of my m4 in front of the scope, it looked good but was terribly unbalanced as it had to be mounted all the way forward too clear the scope. On the side, at least you can move them back so the weight is neutral, if you put it on the bottom and still want to use your grip then its too far forward as well. The left side was also used because you can mount it way back because you dont have to worry about the ejection port. I still think on top of the scope is best for hunter types, only issue though is it adds to the height. But same as the weight, if you want a torch then you gotta stick it somewhere. Also, mounting system will be alot more difficult if its not on the scope, mounting on the barrell, well i dont like and never will like that idea, maybe a mount the went up near the front swivel and protruded forward, but the again, balance is upset. I suppose we could mount it on the side of the stock, but then some people might not like drilling their stocks.

Big job making a mount to make everyone happy hey lol.

Trev
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

Trev wrote:Big job making a mount to make everyone happy hey lol.
Ain't that the truth!! I think we have all worked out there isn't a universal scope mount or even close :lol:

Trev, I agree with much of what you say, my thoughts are that scopes suffer recoil, bigger scopes more, so less weight on a scope the better. I had also been told by a few guys who shoot full time that the best place for any extra weight is between your hands, ie between pistol grip and front hand on forestock. That seems logical to me, but I am not able to justify the validity of that claim. I like the side mount but not everyone has a picatinny rail. Then when you think we sell to hunters with everything from a Remmy 7600 with tactical stock and rails all over it, to the 87 year old who wanted one for .22 (seriously, we have sold a heap to guys over 75 who still want to protect the chook shed or lambs, but couldn't effectively use anything heavier. Warms my heart that these guys are still shooting). Then also balance from a marketing viewpoint I also want a few low cost options, as I don't want mounts which put people off buying a torch!

I think your quote sums it up nicely - Big job making a mount to make everyone happy hey lol.
luke5381
Favourite Cartridge: 25/303,22-250,12ga

Post by luke5381 »

hey glen just a quick suggestion as i have no idea how you guys make your torches but would cutting say a dovetail on the actual torch itself help in anyway so you just use one scope ring and then do the dovetail up on the torch ???

cheers luke
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

Luke absolutely love your lateral thinking!! We have a bit of meat in the walls, about 4mm (keeps us with the 1" -25.4mm body), I will go and measure a dovetail on one of my rifles. Might run close but love how simple the solution is (and solid).
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

Bloody heck, Ive been out done in the ideas department.

What a great Idea Luke, but I can see a problem, I doubt if you will get a mount high enough. Remember when you use a mount you are clearing just the scope objective, but when mounting a torch on a scope, then you have to clear the scope objective and the torch head. That makes it extremely high as far as scop mounts go. To mount it on a 50 mm OBJECTIVE SCOPE IT WILL TAKE A 1.9 Inch mount. You cant get them that high, from memory, 1.25 is the highest you can get in a Leupold.

Trev
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

Trev & Luke, now we know why you need a few eyes to look at things! Never thought about that side of it, we get quite a few guys with 56mm scopes so need to cater for that also. Not easy this is it?
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

Glen and Trev, here is what I was thinking. Trevs point about the height will be an issue though. What I do love about it is it's quick, strong and simple. Surely we can just make a block that fits over the torch to jack it up a bit.
Mount idea.JPG
Mount idea1.JPG
Mount idea2.JPG
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

Mount idea3.JPG