RCBS chargemaster combo

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
trishbob40
.22 WMR

RCBS chargemaster combo

Post by trishbob40 »

Hi All
thinking about buying a RCBS chargemaster combo..would like to hear who has one
and are they as good as they advertise....tb40
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Re: RCBS chargemaster combo

Post by Trev »

I have one and I love, it sure cuts down on the work. Load in your load data such as a calibre, grains load name etc and then go.

Only one problem with it, if you are chasing benchrest type loads then it isnt perfect. I load with say 40 grains, when you dispense sometimes it loads 41 grains. Not always but maybe 2 in 10. When it gets close it does real little turns of the screw too dispense the powder, but sometimes there could be a thicker lot of powder in the screw and as it rotates it dumps it all. Isnt an issue for me as I just leave the lid of the powder holder and then take a pinch out of the dispensing tray until it reads the correct grains. But just for hunting loads i dont bother.

Overall though, great product
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

have one, love it. If you get say 41 when you wanted say 40.8, lift the pan, tip some back in and put it back on again. You get good at it and it weighs 40.8. If it weighs 40.5 hit dispense again and it trickles up again. easy
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

I have the rcbs and have seem my mates lyman one in action as well.

I have only used mine up to about 45gns of different powders and found them to be fairly consistent. I have never had one dispence a grain over, maybe plus or minus .1 to .2 as a maximum.

I believe letting the scale warm up and using it in a room with no air moment.

With my mates' lyman, he wanted a charge of 83 grains. To get that he had to punch in 80grains and after a short wait, the scale showed the true amount of 83gn plus or minus half a grain.

The only feature I liked on the lyman was that it had an "auto dispense" option where as soon as the scale was stable, it started automatically where as on the rcbs you have to hit the dispense button each time.

HTH just some of my experiences
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

rcbs has an auto dispense mode also that works as soon as pan is placed on scale and is stable back reading 00.0 all you need to do is set weight, press and hold the enter button until read out says auto. press disp for first load then each one after that is automatic. hope this helps simpson
Simpson
22-250 Remington

Post by Simpson »

juzz338 wrote:rcbs has an auto dispense mode also that works as soon as pan is placed on scale and is stable back reading 00.0 all you need to do is set weight, press and hold the enter button until read out says auto. press disp for first load then each one after that is automatic. hope this helps simpson
Legend Image

How did you find that out?

It isn't in the manual......is it?Image
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

noticed it whilst researching before i bought one. I think it is in the manual towards the back.
Simpson
22-250 Remington

Post by Simpson »

After downloading the latest manual from the midway usa site, I compared it to mine. Unfortunately I tried it and it doesn't work. :cry: Seems the newer units definitely have the option.

I have emailed RCBS tech help to see if it can be reprogrammed but not overly confident.

Trishbob, I wouldn't hesitate in getting one again if mine ever stops working, especially with the auto dispense option now available.
Sir osis
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by Sir osis »

I've got a chargemaster also best investment made, mine was weighing slightly out at times also so sent it back to RCBS and they replaced it with a later version, the new one loads a lot faster and I've never had any charges under or over since. One major difference with the two units is the speed a lot faster dispensing the major part of the powder but much more precise when it comes to trickling the last few grns in.