Bipods

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
domino
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Bipods

Post by domino »

Hi guys just after some tips and your ideas on bipods. Have searched for a previous thread with this disscussion and can't find one if there is can someone point me to it. Have heard that swiveling bipods are worth spending the extra on, do most of you agree. Also do you think a bipod that can pan would be of benifit? 80% of it's use will be from a shooting frame while spotlighting on a .204. Are there any brands that you think are better than the others for any reason. Thanks for any assistance with this.

Cheers Mick.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Re: Bipods

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day Domino,
I'm also in the market for a bipod that swivels and but also, has positive stops on the legs. The Harris one I currently have has finger tighten friction locks for infinite adjustment of the leg length, but with a heavy rifle, is sags under recoil. A real PITA.

With one of the Harris bipods models, the legs each have 7 stops and it swivels to get the rifle level. Add a Pod-loc from the USA to gives a quick lock up of the swivel action for in the field.

AI would be the guy to PM and ask about bipods.

Hope this helps.

Cheerio Ned
domino

Post by domino »

Thanks for that Ned, Yer that is helpful I hadn't acually thought of that but it makes sense, positive locking legs it is. Thanks for your reply!.

Cheers Mick
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

I dont like the swiveling ones as there its too easy to rock about and not hold still. I just use the regular harris ones while spotlighting 9-13 inch i think. They are fine. When i have uneven ground I can undo the clamp on the legs and let them out to suit the surface its holding on, but if I just need extra length you leave the clamp along and extend them right out. They click and hold out. Then just press the little tab and they spring back in. Its all you will ever need for spotlighting, especially with a 204.
domino

Post by domino »

Thanks for your imput Brad Y your right about not requiring swivel when shooting from a platform spot lighting. Thanks for your input mate.
siacci

Post by siacci »

I had a harris bipod. Found it a pain when on a surface was not flat. Also the springs made a shit load of noise. I chucked it and got a caldwell that swivels from side side, it does not swivel in the horizontal plane.It doesn't use springs. Like it more than the harris.

Dave
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

I got the Harris with the leg stops and the swivel. It is a good bipod and much better than the other one I had (can't remember the name).
I had previously bought a Pod-Loc from Sinclairs so when I got the Harris I put it on and that's the way to go. In the field so far it's been excellent when smacking crows with my 6mmBR and 75 Vmax's. :rifle: I hate crows!!!

Dave
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Another vote for the Caldwell for the same reasons - considerably cheaper than the Harris swivel models as well.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Mate

Hands down the Harris BRMS using a Pod Loc. It has the shortest legs, the legs are notched in 7 positions, and the Pod-Loc does what is says.. Locks.

I have never had any problem with them, and I have four. If it does roll over due to the swivel being loose, there is only one to blame, yourself for not tightening it up.

The notched leg version works different to the normal one as well. With the normal one, they are a pain because you need to pull the legs to the right length and then lock. Not with the notched. You push the button, and they shoot out to the full length.

Harris BRMS 100%.

Cheers
AI
V|PeR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Post by V|PeR »

another vote for a harris Swivel with pod-loc

perfect for when the driver parks on a dodgy angle....takes 5secs to level it
domino

Post by domino »

Thanks everyone I ended up purchasing a harris brm series s yesterday. The local gun shop didn't have the caldwell ones to compare, and the only other ones i found were cheap looking plastic jobs, tried it today and am happy so far.
sillybgoat

Post by sillybgoat »

I got the harris swivel, if I was buying again I probably wouldn't have gotten the swivel one. One that pans would rock though....