Hearing Protection.

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
zzsstt

Post by zzsstt »

I use a pair of Peltor SportTacs. I find them very comfortable and they also give me bionic hearing - you can turn them up and they give you amplified stereo/directional (microphone in each side) hearing at better than normal levels. I have found it really makes you notice how much noise you are making when walking! The cut-out and recovery is very quick when a gun is fired.

They are a cutaway design to allow a good cheek weld, they were designed for clay shooters I believe.

I highly recommend them.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Fingers and a beanie while driving/spotting (trying to spot *cough*).

beanie and plugs when shooting. Yep, its cold where i go
Davyd

Post by Davyd »

Rule .303 - good point - damm

I tried the new Peltor Sport Tac's with digital weekend ($260 ftom Mialls) befeore last. Very effective on a wekend that saw the demise of 40 bunnies. I agree with ZZst they are very good - it is like walking around with out - but possibly even better depending on how much you turn them up. Can easily hear your hands rubbing together for example. Only issue is that they amplified wind noise in the trees quite a lot - I suspect that I had the sound levle on a fair degree of amplication because I also heard bunnies running away etc - probably more than I do normally

I also heard more sound around the shots - for example in the field I could hear the sounds of hits much more clearly and had not realised how many .22lr rounds riccochet even after going through the animal - but with the sportacs the whine of riccochets from 50m or more was clearly audible.

At the range it was disconcerting when shooting in a confined area for a an offhand competitioon to hear the echoes of the shots as loudly as the shot.

Good device - but still don't really like wearing ear muffs in the field - but have not found other options yet

I have also been to an audioligist on Collins St to see what other options may be available - they are having a look into it
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

Crazyleff wrote:I've used similar ear plugs 'Surefire Ep3 Sonic defenders '

http://www.sordaustralia.com/sfearpro.htm

and they retail for about $34 AUD but have found that they distort normal hearing a fair bit. They are defindently better then just plain earplugs though. The electonic versions that are availble are heaps better but at almost 600 dollars a pair for some of the ones I have tested not sure its worth it.

Cheers

Crazylef
If I was convinced these were offering the results claimed on the site within 10% or so, i'd be jumping at them, but the NRR rating is 9db and thats not a huge rating.. I wonder if someone knows an expert that could offer some advice on these things.

-Arch