Problem with front rest

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Rick1970
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 Remington

Problem with front rest

Post by Rick1970 »

Made myself a front rest a while ago and has worked fine so far. The cradle for the stock is 6" channel with some 1 1/2" high denisity froam i had laying around glued into it. Used it to test loads and sight in etc for 22, 17HMR,17Rem, 223 and 30-06....all good (well i thought so anyway....)

Latest toy is a 45/70 Marlin and noticed that when load of 2207 was increased from 52 to 58gr, the POI rose over 10". Loaded a few at 54gr and sighted in (using rest) 2 1/2" high at 100m. Had a shot (low chest) at a goat (sitting suporting rifle with knee) and clean missed at 80-90m :x .

I was sure shot was good so rechecked zero with rest (2 1/2" h @ 100m). Then shot at target suporting rifle with hand over bonnet of ute and was 3" low at 100m :shock:

I guess the recoil and maybe too hard material of rest is giving me this variance of POI? Will buy a proper front bag and modify rest to suit, but what should i be using in it to get around this problem?

Rick
paz
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Re: Problem with front rest

Post by paz »

When you shoot from a rest, off a bipod or lean beside a tree your point of aim will always differ, it will always shoot away from your rest eg use a tree to steady your rifle on the left side and your point of impact will move to the right. I learnt this from an old retired rabbit shooter years ago.

Paz
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Paz is spot on mate. Rests are fine for target shooting and sighting in to shoot from a rest, but guns sighted from a rest are not really set up for field shooting. After sighting any of my hunting rifles I also confirm sighting from field positions - amazing how much difference some rifles can show in POI.
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Rick,

As the boys have said holding gives a different POI to a rest.

I sight my 30/30 in at the bench but only rest my elbows on it holding the gun in the conventional manner. Use a towel or something soft on the bench top but as that cannon will frigging hurt :D

When...... are you coming to Gowrie you slacker ? :P :lol:

KY
Rick1970
.17 HMR

Post by Rick1970 »

Kenny

Yeah slack i know :roll:
I'm out every second sunday (out your way visitin my daughter).

Need something decent to take and use.............what you got gathering cobwebs :wink:

Have a 223 Brno that can be sorta accurate, if im havin a good day and i don't let it get to hot. Can i count 1 x 45cal hole as 4 x 22cal holes 8)

The cannon aint that bad actually, kicks and bucks around a bit but dosn't really hurt. Altho with a full 60gr 2207 in the case it mite be a differant story

Rick
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Rick,

Your 223 will be fine mate :D You don't have to win to enjoy yourself y'know......hell I never do :lol:

I didn't know your ex was still here....as I haven't seen her about, I see the ex in-laws occasionally around town...I hope all is good there 8) I see Rob about occasionally but I don't think he knows who I am :lol: hope your head aint lookin' like his :shock: :lol:

Remind me to remind you the next shoot is on the 27th of April OK ......a 22 with 50 rounds and your 223 with 50 (more if you need to sight in)and your rest will be all you need....oh and about $20...... :D

KY
Rick1970
.17 HMR

Post by Rick1970 »

Cool, send us a reminder or i will forget.

Under all the ink, me and Rob do look very much alike (don't think i will will get 'painted' up like him tho :shock: ). Think the ex keeps a pretty low profile these days, for a change :mrgreen:

What would be a good choice of bullets for the 223? 52gr Sierra/Speer etc?. Would have 100 or so loaded with 50gr v-max but wouldn't mind trying for a bit more accuracy. Have BM2 and 2208 powder on hand, Rem 7 1/2 primers and heaps of once fired Win cases.

Rick
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Rick ...I reckon the V-Max will be just fine :D

KY
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

Rick, try 50gn sierra b/k or nosler b/t or vmax's and 26.5gn 2208 (work up in .5gn increments from 24.5gn)
all shoot well under the 1moa in my howa s/s sporter (5 shots) with the b/k's best group at .290 at a hundred.
B/t's are a shade better than the vmax's in my rifle also.
Regards Alpal
Ps my howa has a custom lam. stock, trigger job and action and pillar bedded.