Making a portable bench

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Making a portable bench

Post by Brad Y »

Im looking to make me up a light and sturdy portable bench to suit me being left handed. I know people on here have done it so what are the recommendations? Do I modify a second hand fold up, get the fold up legs and make the top, or can i do a top with screw in legs... Trying to set a budget of 50 bucks if its possible too, garage sales, lions auctions and salvage yards are my main target.

Any more suggestions?
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Re: Making a portable bench

Post by daisy »

This one was made with a workmate copy that I got for free and a bit of left over ply. I used a bit of ply to stiffen the legs . It does the job but I'll upgrade the ply and make the top smaller one day :roll:

Sir Snipealot
Favourite Cartridge: .17 HMR

Post by Sir Snipealot »

I am about to embark on building my first portable bench.

I am just wondering if anyone can give me some idea of size required for a decent bench.
I am a little lost as to where to start.

Frame will be made from aluminium and legs will be adjustable for height if I can come up with something stable enough. I am a drafty so I will post up the drawings for all to see before I start building it.

Thanks, I love this place!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

your more than welcome to draft me up a set too mate hahaha
Sir Snipealot

Post by Sir Snipealot »

Not a problem Brad.
I am actually using an awesome 3D modelling package called Solidworks.

Check it out. http://www.solidworks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

I got a mate who used to draw plans up on CAD before we made stuff, but with my handyman skills, the cad drawings were always better than the acutal finished item.

Im thinking more and more about screw in legs so i can place them at the proper places for maximum stability, but there goes my budget idea...
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Hi Brad Y,

Have a look the link of Hair Bears bench he built for TrevorT,

http://ausvarmint.kjd84.com/forum/viewt ... f=3&t=2430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glenn
Sir Snipealot

Post by Sir Snipealot »

I model everything in 3D modeling packages before I build it or have one built.
In the right hands, you can see what will and won't work on model, because it is not simply a collection of lines on a screen, but a "virtual physical" item that you can move individual parts to check for clearances and tolerances.
Sir Snipealot

Post by Sir Snipealot »

Ok so i have been playing with some bench sizes using cardboard cut-outs, and have come up with the following general size. As you can see I have started the modelling process. I am going to have a look at a few different adjustable support systems and maybe do some prototypes this weekend.

stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

This is the one we made up I say we as it was abit of family effort :lol: Ended up making 3 of them

Sizes Length 1200
Narrow width is 450 and front width is 600

Legs were just from bunnings think about $20 for a set, Old man had the ply in the shed.

To be honest haven't used it yet :cry: but feels quite stable some additions to the tips of the legs with spikes might be good so you can jam them into the soil Or hang a large sandbag over the legs for some more weight. But better than nothing.
Attachments
bench2.jpg
Bench1.jpg
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

I was looking for some benches at Bunnings the other day. I reckon a Black and Decker bench could be fashioned into something. It would be alright for sitting off a bunny patch.
Dave
zzsstt

Post by zzsstt »

I think you need to define what the bench will be used for before thinking about its size. Logically, if it is used only for shooting a fixed target, its size is easy to work out - for the top, the front needs to be slightly wider than your bipod or rest and the rear needs to be slightly wider than your rear bag plus whatever you need for elbow support on the offside. The support system needs to be wide enough to provide stability at ground level. If, however, you intend to have boxes of ammo, reloading presses, bino's, a thermos of coffee and a few shooting magazines (for when things go quiet) on your bench, you'll need to make it bigger to suit! Equally if you want to be able to shoot at objects over, say, a 20 degree field of view without moving the bench, the size will have to increase to allow the front rest to be moved sideways to cover the target area. The bigger you make it the less portable it becomes.

Somewhere on the 'net (US site but I haven't got the URL with me) there is a company selling plans for a fabricated steel portable rest. The have a demo video of one on a trailer. It avoids the tracking/width issue by utilising a central pillar (4" pipe I suspect) with a tripod base, on which is supported both a seat and the top, both of which rotate around the pillar to allow tracking across a target. The top is hinged on the top of the pillar and then secured with a turnbuckle strut, such that the elevation can also be altered easily. This design, whilst not being super cheap (I think they suggest US$100 for materials if you do the work yourself) seemed to be a good solution.

I have just built a bench using 1" RHS to form a triangle, with gussets in each corner on to which are bolted 2" BSP pipe flanges. The legs are 2"NB pipe, threaded to screw in to the flanges. The gussets are welded in to the frame at a slight angle such that each leg is angled out for stability. The top is simply a "T" shape (to allow for left handed shooters as well) of structural plywood, about 3' across the front and 4' long, screwed and bolted to the triangular frame. I haven't tried it yet.....
Sir Snipealot

Post by Sir Snipealot »

stinkitup,
Your bench is exactly the same size as what I have modeled.
Did you happen to take the measurements from a corner desk or workstation?
:lol:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

They look pretty sweet to me fellas. I was thinking of screw in legs but this bench is only needed for sighting my rifles, and punching paper. Maybe a box or two of ammo and thats it. I do all my cleaning on my loading bench at home. Those dimensions seem fine to me too, but I would make it for me being a lefty :wink:

Might go to bunnings and check out some legs this weekend.
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day Brad Y
Mate go and have a look around bunnings you will find a heap of fold up leg ideas and tressles !!!
Also you could try and get some ply of any of the wood forming joints(places that make skirting,kitchens ...ect) ,they scrap there cover sheets when they open their timber paks

Andree