How useful is Camoflage ? What do you use?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!

Is camo useful for medium range varminting?

yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 34

Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

Thats interesting.. I didn't know that
Rule 303

Post by Rule 303 »

Arch, apparently animals see more of the ultraviolet spectrum than we do, but we see more of the colours than they do. However they can still tell that 2 different colours are different fromeach other as they see them as different shades of grey.

How the boffins proved this or came up with it I don't know.

Cheers
Crazyleff

Post by Crazyleff »

Thats the reason why you see the yanks always wearing bright red jackets when deer hunting. The deer don't see the red colour but other shooter can. Or so am told.
Another thing to try is if you have access to nightvision gear is have a look at your clothes under IR as you will see that some clothes (not sure if this is the soaps used or the material) will stand out more then others.The ones that don't stand out as much seem to be better at adding to your cam with animals. This is just my experience with using Auscams at work.
siacci

Post by siacci »

Auscam pants and Realtree shirt. Auscam bucket hat or Thinsulite brown beanie. I also have camo gloves. I don't cover my face as I have a beard that does that anyway.

I have whistled the foxes up to have them stand 3 feet from me for up to a minute trying to figure out where the bunny went. Once they look up and see my eyes they shit themselves and run like blazes. Its quite comical really....

Dave
Peter O
.22 WMR

Post by Peter O »

I hunt in many different types of camo depending on the terrain that I am working in but for sitting calling foxes in or busting bunnies on a large warren complex I like to use a blind.
I kind of stumbled on to this when duck hunting because I noticed that rabbits and foxes would often approach the hide if things were quiet.
I have a sheet of Aus cam about 6 X 8 meters that is used to hide my boat when hunting along the river banks and several smaller blinds that I can just hang between trees or bits of bush.
You can have a cup of tea and a biscuit while calling in the foxes with out having to worry about them seeing you move :lol: .
Bidgee
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Bidgee »

I dont bother with it when shooting bunnies but I always wear camo when hunting larger game. I dont like Auscam because it blobs out when viewed from greater than 50m. You may as well wear king gee khakis. Same goes for real tree.

Blackfoot and ASAT both do good camo patterns but I also like the "woodlands" DPMs.

http://www.asatcamo.com/home1.htm
http://www.blackfoot.com.au/index.html

Scott
Rule 303

Post by Rule 303 »

That asat looks alot like the original Blackfoot design.
Bidgee

Post by Bidgee »

The ASAT 3D is excellent. My mate wears it and he just about disappears when standing still in a forest.

Scott
Davyd

Post by Davyd »

What do you(s) fidn the best for open fields and grasslands?

My particular need as the bunnies will oftern see and react at 200m or more . I use auscam in warmer weather which works well particulary on roos who tend to be out in the paddocks and hence looking at me against thefence/ tree line - but bunnies who sit near the fenceline see me coming along it from a surprising distance!
Bidgee

Post by Bidgee »

Stalking across open ground is tough. Low and slow is the ticket. Thommo identified the things that give you away and camo is only half the answer. I'd have movement, shape and silhouette at the top of my list. Dont forget scent. The bunnies will know you are there if you are upwind.

Why dont you get a mate to wear the Auscam gear and see what it looks like at 200m in the field.
Over_Kill

Post by Over_Kill »

Holy crap i just checked our detergent and its full of whiteners and brighteners, im going to have to get some specially for my camo.
Rule 303

Post by Rule 303 »

Over_Kill wrote:Holy crap i just checked our detergent and its full of whiteners and brighteners, im going to have to get some specially for my camo.
Get onto Blackfoot Designs they have sports wash which is good. http://www.blackfoot.com.au
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by Drew Jaeger »

I can't say that I wear camouflage while busting bunnies at distances ranging from 100m to 250m with the 223. Usually wear a khaki shirt and jeans. However, I do wear full camo when stalking in the mountains after goats, pigs or deer and in the marsh country for pigs. I currently have three different patterns for varying terrain; Auscams, RealTree and Blackfoot. The Auscams are good and were my all-rounder. The RealTree is good in dark timber county (Victorian alps), but can look like a dark blob in some light conditions. The Blackfoot pattern is amazing. The couple of times I've worn it, I have almost tripped over a fox, a mob of kangaroos didn’t notice me until I was within 15m of them and a blackbird thought I was a good stump. It's good stuff!!!

RealTree

Blackfoot

All outfits are washed using Sports Wash detergent.
vanders

Post by vanders »

Drew, that Blackfoot looks great mate, you should be on their payroll, how does it go in the darker bush, I just ask as it seems to have a fait amount of white in it.
Also whats it like to wear, is it cool/breathable? I ask because up here in Qld I hunt in some really warm temps as well as quite cool as well.
Does it take a bit of getting used to wearing the face net?
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Vanders,

There are three different material weights, 180gsm, 320gsm and sherpa fleece. The plainsman jacket (also used as a shirt), dalshay pants and wanagi hats are the mid weight 320gsm tuff cloth (100% cotton) for all four seasons. Also have a blaze orange hat too. Being in Qld you would want the summer weight 180gsm (55% linen 45% cotton) for hunting in hot conditions.

The base colour on the tuff cloth is tan and on the summer cloth its white. The other colours are grey, olive green, brown and black webbing. This pattern has the light colour so as game can't make out the human shape and actually "looks through" you. I have only been in medium timber with it and my hunting mate said he had to look twice to see me.

http://www.blackfoot.com.au/index.html

I have two face nets, one cotton and one nylon. The nylon one totally covers the head and is hot at times which can cause my specs to fog up. :x No real problem with the cotton face net (Stoney Creek).