6/250

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Hodgon site has reloading data, downloaded it onto the work pc, can email it monday if you cant fid it. I read the 70 gn should be going between 3300 to 3400 fps. I am thinking the 65 Vmax should easy get the 3400.
jb747

Post by jb747 »

Data from the 6/250 that we had. 23 inch barrel, Win brass, WLR primers.

65 gr Vmax: 3500 fps.
75 gr Vmax: 3250 fps.
87 gr Vmax: 3190 fps.

70 gr Nosler BT: 3360 fps.

70 gr Sierra Blitzking: 3550 fps.
wb243
.22 WMR

Post by wb243 »

Interesting cartridge. From what I can tell, it's roughly 100 - 200 fps slower than a .243 but using less powder and I assume would have longer barrel life?
jb747

Post by jb747 »

wb243 wrote:Interesting cartridge. From what I can tell, it's roughly 100 - 200 fps slower than a .243 but using less powder and I assume would have longer barrel life?
The hope would be longer barrel life, though I suspect that if you run it hard the life would be about 20% better. Mostly we ran loads that were somewhat slower than those I listed.

Its pluses and minuses depend upon how you're doing your comparison. Compared to a 22/250 it will launch much heavier, better b/c bullets. It is way more emphatic when it arrives on target, and it performs dramatically better in any sort of wind. If the 243 is your basis for comparison, then it has somewhat less recoil, is hopefully milder on the barrel, and it's performance with the light and mid weight bullets is close enough to identical.

My intention with the VSSF is to use the 6/250 for bullets up to 75 grs, and to use the 243 for the 87-105 gr stuff. Basically the 6/50 will be my 400 metre rifle, and the 243 can do the shooting over that range, or on the really windy days.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day all,
go the 6BR for the following reasons
1. lapua brass is readily available
2. Factory & BR dies are readily available
3. Superb Accuracy out to +6oom
4. If you use a fast twist barrel you can shoot F class/500m fly & Varmints
5. Long barrel life with little throat erosion that a .250 case can deliver
6. Any number of reamer neck dimensions available for neck turning or no neck turning as you wish
7. Case stretching wont be the problem that a .250 case will give
8. A quality built rifle will give you all the accuracy the 6BR can deliver

Most importantly the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid!!! It has never failed me yet!!
Cheerio Ned
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

How do you reckon it will go John on Goats and NSW sized pigs? I have a 22-250 here in a short barrel that is crying for a new barrel and since I am getting rid of my 30-06 I need something that I can carry around and use on Medium sized game.

I dont know If I'm better off getting a 260rem or something a wee bit smaller as I already have a medium weight 7mm08 which I intend to keep as is. I dont do alot of pig/goat shooting and you look at the goats and pigs shot in the mags and alot are done with a 223 so I assume a 6/250 would be ALOT more authoritive than that.

Is it easy to size the cases from 22-250 cases or is there certain processes that have to be done. I cant remember which way is the easier way ie: is going from a smaller cal to a bigger one easier or is there less work involved in going the other way???
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

I used a redding bushing die set with a .267 and .269 bushing (depending on brass) and a tapered expanding button.

BAM, one pass and you have 6mm 22-250 cases, body sized them all, trimed and finished mouth.. should be ready to rock and roll.

-Arch
jb747

Post by jb747 »

Ned Kelly wrote:1. lapua brass is readily available
True, no Lapua, but I'm quite happy with Norma.
Ned Kelly wrote:2. Factory & BR dies are readily available
Redding make their competition dies for the 6/250.
Ned Kelly wrote:3. Superb Accuracy out to +6oom
Same.
Ned Kelly wrote:4. If you use a fast twist barrel you can shoot F class/500m fly & Varmints
Same.
Ned Kelly wrote:5. Long barrel life with little throat erosion that a .250 case can deliver
Perhaps. Never seen a side by side comparison.
Ned Kelly wrote:6. Any number of reamer neck dimensions available for neck turning or no neck turning as you wish
Same.
Ned Kelly wrote:7. Case stretching wont be the problem that a .250 case will give
Case stretching isn't an issue, as long as you're using bushing or collet dies, even with the 250 case.
Ned Kelly wrote:8. A quality built rifle will give you all the accuracy the 6BR can deliver
Same.

How does the 6BR handle being magazine fed. We're talking hunting rifles here, not single shot target rifles?
jb747

Post by jb747 »

kjd wrote:How do you reckon it will go John on Goats and NSW sized pigs? I have a 22-250 here in a short barrel that is crying for a new barrel and since I am getting rid of my 30-06 I need something that I can carry around and use on Medium sized game.
Using a twist around 1:10, the 6/250 would easily handle up to 90 gr bullets, and launch them at around 3000 fps. That would be adequate for goats, and probably ok for smaller pigs. Plus it's a great varmint round as well. We were shooting goats in NSW last week, and my wife used a 270 loaded to launch a 100 gr pill at 3100 fps, so not a great deal of difference, and it was very effective. Small pigs perhaps, but as you have a 7/08, that's really perfect for any size of pig.
kjd wrote:I dont know If I'm better off getting a 260rem or something a wee bit smaller as I already have a medium weight 7mm08 which I intend to keep as is. I dont do alot of pig/goat shooting and you look at the goats and pigs shot in the mags and alot are done with a 223 so I assume a 6/250 would be ALOT more authoritive than that.
It is a lot more emphatic than the 22/250. It isn't a 243, but it's not far behind. Perhaps you should be really different, and consider a 25 Souper (25/08 ).
kjd wrote:Is it easy to size the cases from 22-250 cases or is there certain processes that have to be done. I cant remember which way is the easier way ie: is going from a smaller cal to a bigger one easier or is there less work involved in going the other way???
Super easy to make. Just get a 6/250 bushing neck die from Redding (or a 22/250 with appropriate bushing), and a 6mm tapered expander. Run the brass through, and in one pass you have perfectly formed 6/250.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

25souper is even a better thought mate hmm now you got me thinking!!!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Wiz is in the process of making a 25souper so it might be worth contacting him for some details as well keithy.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Lowndsie wrote:Wiz is in the process of making a 25souper so it might be worth contacting him for some details as well keithy.
Yeah mate I might do that. The project will be a while off though! :(
Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

Mine will be the improved (40deg) version of the Souper and my second rifle in the same calibre. The first was on a Mohawk action and a Wilson tube. This one is a 700 action worked over by Shane Clancy and wear a Lilja tube. Idea, as with the first will be to duplicate 25/06 velocities up to a 100gr pill in as light a rifle as humanly possible.

Shane has the barrel (or it's still in customs) and has the action as we speak.

Stock ... I would really like a lightweight thumbhole but am having difficulty finding one I like.
Trigger... Likely the standard Remington worked over for now unless I trip over an aftermarket unit in Australia.
Optics... 2-7 Leupy.
Mounts... QD's of an undetermined make so far. I enjoyed great success with the early Hillver (now Lynx) mounts on the Mohawk and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

JB, why would there be such a velocity difference between the nosler and sierra in the same weight?
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »