What equipment do you use for sighting in?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
lamanna

What equipment do you use for sighting in?

Post by lamanna »

Hey guys,
I'm heading to the range on Saturday and wanted to get my .22 dead on. After sighting it in I want to test various amounts of ammo to see which my rifle likes best. I've got myself a bi-pod and was thinking of either making my own sand bags or buying a proper rear rest.... like one with bunny ears. Is this a decent setup for sighting in? I plan to zero it at 75m then test ammo at 100m.

This is my first rifle and will only be the third time at the range so any advice for a newbie would be great. :)

Thanks.
jb747

Post by jb747 »

Bunny ear bags are good, but a couple of sandbags will probably do what you want, and cheaply too. As long as the rifle is stable and will 'sit' on the target, without you having to hold the rear.

Bipods, especially on centrefires, tend to jump on the hard base of the benchrests at the rifle ranges, so I always take something to put under the legs. A rubber floor tile does a good job.

Is you rifle zeroed? If not make sure you start at 25 metres. Its a bit of a pain if you put the target at 50 metres, and the hits aren't on the paper.

If it isn't zeroed, set the rifle up, so that you can look through the bore and see the 25 metre target. Make sure the scope is pointing in the same place. Fire a couple of shots at 25, basically to make sure you're within an inch or so of the target, then move to 50 metres. At 50, you want to set it up so that the bullets hit about 1.5 inches above the point you aim at.

If you move now to a target at 75, you should find that the bullets will be hitting pretty much on the aim point.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

And once you have done all the above the fun job of finding which round works best begins, always good fun especially seen as a heap of boxes of .22lr ammo dosent make the wallet scream in pain!
lamanna

Post by lamanna »

Thanks for the help guys.

Went and bought a set of el-cheapo bunny ear sand bags. Front and Back were in a pack for $50. Testing them out(plus my first rifle :D) this Saturday at Little River.

Here's a pic... it's a BRNO Model 5.
Juniorhunter

Post by Juniorhunter »

Looks like a nice bit of kit man :wink:
lamanna

Post by lamanna »

Thanks Juniorhunter. :)

I forgot to add one thing, the bi-pod is on backwards. :D You can probably see why it is on backwards, with that lip on the forend of the stock, you can't connect the bipod. I have to put a big rubber packer between the stock and bipod mount if I want to put it on properly. Only problem is, with it on properly, you need to use your left hand to adjust the tension screws which is a pain in the ass.... rather do it with my right.
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

A word of advice,

If you shoot with the bipod keep the pressure you apply to the rifle very consistant, especially with a Brno as the front take down screw is mounted on the barrel so differing pressure on the stock is applied straight to the barrel.

This applies to the sandbags too but the bipod more so.

Also check your sight in between shooting off bags and shooting with the bipod as the point of impact can be different for the same reason.

Quiet often i have people wanting to improve their Brno's so i fit another take down screw to the rear of the action then fully bed the action and fully float the barrel and leave the front barrel take down screw out.

cheers,
Shane
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

whats that bipod like? Will it take the weight and the recoil of my 6/250 when its done? The harris ones seem to get all the thumbs up, but no one ever seems to have lots to say about the other ones.

Looks like a nice setup, my cz 17hmr would look good on the bipod too.

-Arch
lamanna

Post by lamanna »

Thanks for the advice shane. I wasn't aware of any of that, didn't know it's so complicated.

Arch, I'm Giunta on AHN btw. :D The bi-pod weighs quite a bit. The website says 1.58lbs for the bipod and the adapter. Mine is the Versa-Pod Model 51 Bipod(150-051). I bought 2 from snipercentral.com and they came to about $115 with shipping. Most gun stores sell the Harris non-swivel for like $130. I think I might buy a harris for the hell of it, but these versa pods have cant and pan which is pretty sweet.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

see, another thing i never would have thought about in a million years.

always learning new things. cheers shane.