Range finder recommendation please

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Re: Range finder recommendation please

Post by B4408 »

After seeing the Leica 1000 at my first Missathon that Missed, Kickinback and JasonF were using I thought they were a great simple to use rangefineder. I didn't really need one but kept an eye out for a used one and picked up an older Leica 900 on Ebay for $200, bloke had it described wrongly and no one else bid on it.
It has been a good educator of distance. Like Bimbo I take it to work and range cattle in the paddocks etc when there is some spare time or when hunting and having a break will get it out for a play.
The hardest thing is holding it steady on targets, the switch is just a bit to heavy and when it clicks you pull off target. Like a heavy trigger, so need to rest on something for over 400m for small things. I have ranged black cattle to 750m ok and will find a big tree or rock nearby the target to double check range. I think it will range at its max distance if you can hold it steady.

Also have a bit of fun with it when I am offsiding with the surveyors at work. When doing survey markers I carry it and range back to them when they're busy setting up, later we'll talk about how far things were and I'm always within a few meters, I round to the nearest 5. They haven't caught on yet. :lol:

Bruce
sooty_10
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Range finder recommendation please

Post by sooty_10 »

adamjp wrote:
sooty_10 wrote:
JasonF wrote:Save your money for a Leica 1000 Trevort. You won't regret it.
Curious to know what actual maximun range in metres you have achieved with this rangefinder? For trees / deer / roo etc.
Mine is the newer 1000R model, it is a tiny bit faster to compute and includes built-in angle compensation. I have used it to range against a bare grassy hillside at 982m.

There was a test done last year and the Leica was the only unit amongst the common 'hunting' LRFs to achieve what it said it would. The Bushnell 'Mile' LRFs crapped out at a much shorter range. Units like the Vectronix or G7 units will consistently range much further but are more than twice the size. The Leica fits in a shirt pocket with ease.

I've not bothered to run a test on maximum as it has consistently ranged 500 to 600m on deer without any issues. My old Leupold RX-IV could get just over 600m with a brand new battery, but fairly quickly settled in for a fur reading of 450m (it was top line in 2006 but technology has moved on).
Good to know. Ive got a leupold rx1200 the newish one. It is good no real complaints as it will do more than i can shoot. But it is a bit bright at night even in the lowest setting. Also max ive ranged it to was around the 750m to a big dead tree on a hillside. Hit and miss after about 650m i find. But does the job for me.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

I picked up a El Cheapo Simmonds from AHN a couple of years ago, have only used it when setting up my range in the quarry, have ranged things out to 400 odd metres just for practice, but Im always forgetting to stick it in the ute when going hunting. :roll:
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Post by Vermingone »

Has anyone got or used a G7 Finder ?
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

We did 1715y with my Leica1600 but it was a lucky read. I have no issues around 1500 yards so I'm sure the 1000 will be able to read to that distance as well.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

I've often thought a rangefinder would be kinda cool to have but always decide I have too much crap to carry as it is :roll:

I don't generally do any long range type stuff but if I "need" to know I use the GPS after the event :roll: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Waldo

Oh yeah, sorry I haven't helped.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Waldo that was complete useless. Thanks nevertheless
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

trevort wrote:Waldo that was complete useless. Thanks nevertheless
Yeh sorry, just thought I'd like to contribute my thoughts :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

If you're not sure what you want and don't want to drop a bunch of money, try hobbyking.com. It's a Hong Kong mob but they have basic range finders for around $80AUD delivered.

At least you can try one and see what you think...