Range finder recommendation please

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Range finder recommendation please

Post by trevort »

Not the best longest range one but reliable and accurate. Even if I know it's 600 m away I'll still miss. Rather know it was 350 when I was guessing 425 and gonna have a guess point to miss at
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Re: Range finder recommendation please

Post by bimbo »

I have the vortex one and it is OK. I often take it to work with me and when I have a few spare minutes I pick various objects at various ranges and guess what range they are an then get an actual range with the vortex - i reckon it has helped my range estimations a heap
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

Save your money for a Leica 1000 Trevort. You won't regret it.
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

i bought a 1600B and i regret it .... from what i hear go the 'sig sauer kilo 2000 rangefinder'
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

JasonF wrote:Save your money for a Leica 1000 Trevort. You won't regret it.
How much Jason
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag

Post by JasonF »

trevort wrote:
How much Jason
About $800. You might be able to get one on sale somewhere though. I got mine for a lot less at the Deer Expo in Bendigo four years ago.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

This.
sooty_10
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: RE: Re: Range finder recommendation please

Post by sooty_10 »

Curious to know what actual maximun range in metres you have achieved with this rangefinder? For trees / deer / roo etc.
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag

Post by JasonF »

It works reliably out to 900m on trees or shrubs. On deer I have used it to 600m or so.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

I have a Leica and love it.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Re: RE: Re: Range finder recommendation please

Post by adamjp »

sooty_10 wrote:
Curious to know what actual maximun range in metres you have achieved with this rangefinder? For trees / deer / roo etc.
Mine is the newer 1000R model, it is a tiny bit faster to compute and includes built-in angle compensation. I have used it to range against a bare grassy hillside at 982m.

There was a test done last year and the Leica was the only unit amongst the common 'hunting' LRFs to achieve what it said it would. The Bushnell 'Mile' LRFs crapped out at a much shorter range. Units like the Vectronix or G7 units will consistently range much further but are more than twice the size. The Leica fits in a shirt pocket with ease.

I've not bothered to run a test on maximum as it has consistently ranged 500 to 600m on deer without any issues. My old Leupold RX-IV could get just over 600m with a brand new battery, but fairly quickly settled in for a fur reading of 450m (it was top line in 2006 but technology has moved on).
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

Ive had a leupold tbr 600 ,ok for general use but hit and miss as to what it will range ,there was no way i could range a pig reliably past 250 ish ,had a bushnell 1600 and used a 1500 quite a bit ,the 1500 was excellent and the 1600 was good but as the light became dimmer you could see the entire led display in the unit which was off putting ;under a spotlight if and when i tried it ,it was useless you couldnt see a thing due to everything lighting up in the range finder ,the differance i was told is that the 1500 was made in japan and the 1600 china.then i bought a lieca 1600 off Glenn , this unit is very compact and works well enough to range anything the size of foxes out to 450 ,pigs out to 550 ,emues out to 700 and ive ranged farm houses to 1680 yds but conditions have to be perfect ,and you may get 2 out of 6 readings at that distance .However for varminting its the best ive had ,i can range crows reliably to 450 in dead trees by bouncing off the branch they are sitting on ,tree lines are no problem ever to 600 yds no matter what conditions are like ,the main thing is the further you range the more important holding still becomes ,buy once and cry once ,cheapish range finders are just that ,cheap :D PS ive also used a ziess not sure what size but about the 1500 size i think and found it excellent for the minamal time i tried it
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

Not the best longest range one but reliable and accurate........Rather know it was 350 when I was guessing 425 ..........
I bought the very first range finder Leupold bought out which suits my aspirations and a rifle that is set up for 450m max. It measures slope distance only, which is ok around here, still works fine and has no trouble out to 500m on the local landmarks. It still maintains excellent battery life, there is no drain in the "off" position unlike a lot of electronic gadgets.

But as adamjp says "technology has moved on".
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

I've got the Vortex 1000 Rangefinder and find it fine for my shooting needs - I was ranging trees out to 730+m the other day (just working out how far the Torch was reaching out, cost me around $350 at the time and what I really liked about it was the no questions asked warranty even if I drop it off a cliff they will replace it free of charge, can't get any better than that I reckon and it has better glass than my mates Leupold rangefinder (not sure what model it was) which was a surprise considering the $$$ diff between em (the Vortex had a brighter image) not dull looking like the Leupy.

She's about the size of a cigarette packet so fits in the shirt pocket nicely, comes with lanyard, belt pouch, cloth etc, is illuminated so can be used at night, does all angle compensation etc like most do I guess, all in all not a bad little piece of kit for helping range things quickly.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/ran ... angefinder
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I got this one during the Ivy's Army fundraiser.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17579&p=161960&hili ... er#p161960

It's turned out to be quite a good unit for me. For the longer ranges it needs a good target to range off (I've measured 450+ m), but I'm unlikely to be shooting much beyond 300ish meters.