Spotting scope specs

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
pugster1k
Favourite Cartridge: .22LR

Spotting scope specs

Post by pugster1k »

What are your thoughts on this spotting scope?

Magnification: 20-60x
Objective diameter: 70
Angular of view: 1.7-0.85 degrees
Field of view: (ft at 1000 yards/m at 1000m): 87-28 m/260-84ft
Exit pupil diameter: 3.5-1.2mm
Eye relief: 18mm-15mm
Min focus distance: 6m
Weight 1.2kg
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Spotting scope specs

Post by trevort »

if its a cheap brand you wont be able to focus on anything far away at top mag.

What do you want it for?
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

mate if your shooting targets with a 22,you wont need it out to 150 yrds.
dont waste your money.

if your using a bigger scoped rifle at a range,you wont need it out to 600.
and there will be someone there that can tell you whats happening from there out.

sean.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Specs on spotters don't really mean a real lot, better off looking for good honest revues on a particular model. Try hanging around a couple of bird watching forums, those folk are pretty well the geeks of the optic world :lol:

Cheers,
Waldo
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Waldo wrote:Specs on spotters don't really mean a real lot, better off looking for good honest revues on a particular model. Try hanging around a couple of bird watching forums, those folk are pretty well the geeks of the optic world :lol:

Cheers,
Waldo
+1 on the bird watching sites....(not that sort Camel!).

This link has a lot of info on higher end scopes......http://www.bestspottingscopereviews.com/

I have an Acuter that is very nice, but then I found an old "Kmart" Focal 22x scope in a second hand shop. A lot of the old Focal stuff is rubbish, but this scope is regularly the best on the range and I got it for $28! I don't know why the old scope works so well, but it's one of the old "made in Japan" jobs from the early 1970 and it's a ripper.

Keep an eye out on Gumtree and you might get lucky! I was told years ago that you don't wear out good glass by looking through it, so (carefully) buying secondhand can be a good option.
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

curan wrote:[
I have an Acuter that is very nice, .
Me too :D
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

+2 on the bird watching sites it's why i got this

http://www.vanguardworld.com.au/hunting ... d-82a.html
IMG_1859 (Medium).JPG
pugster1k

Post by pugster1k »

Thank you all. Is acuter good?
Endeavour I will also look into..
pugster1k

Post by pugster1k »

deye223 wrote:+2 on the bird watching sites it's why i got this

IMG_1859 (Medium).JPG
What rifle/scope you running?
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

pugster1k wrote:
deye223 wrote:+2 on the bird watching sites it's why i got this

IMG_1859 (Medium).JPG
What rifle/scope you running?
don't have it anymore sold it 2 weeks ago it was a howa 243 and a Leupold 6.5-20x50 LR varmint hunters rec , a good bit of kit i miss it already
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

pugster1k wrote:Thank you all. Is acuter good?
Endeavour I will also look into..
The acuter I have is a ST20-60x80A. it's good, but it's bulky. I wrote a quick review a few years back........

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12757&p=120211&hilit=acuter#p120211

cheers, curan
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

I use the same scope as curran and yes it's pretty good. I've used mine mainly for spotting deer (when they co-operate) and use it mostly on x20 for the wider field of view,some detail seems to get lost when you crank it up for little gain in viewability (yes, that's not even a word but I hope you know what I mean) so if I spot a creature I may crank it up till about x40 after that the gain seems negligible for loss of detail?

A couple of range trips and yes on a target you can crank it up a bit more, never used it past 100m on the range but those little .17 cal holes show pretty good at 100m.

Cheers,
Waldo
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

A couple of note for Pugster1K to consider for a range shooting spotting scope....

- Angled eye piece scopes are better from prone or the bench when by yourself, as the set up can be more versatile. See the photo in the post by deyeye223 and you can see the angled eyepiece lets him place it good and handy. The less you have to move to check the scope, the less you disturb a second shot, so this counts in competition. The angled eyepiece is still just as effective for a spotter to watch fall of shot for you if you are not self spotting.

- Larger objectives generally mean more light gathering, so they will be brighter in overcast or low light conditions. This comes at the cost of the scope being bulkier, and often more expensive.

- Ask others at the range to have a look through their scopes. There is a big difference between good and bad scopes, and I find that trying to see hits on a 200m target with .223 rounds is a good test for a scope. Especially if the rounds were not moly coated (can leave a darker ring). Try looking on hot still days, and you will see how the mirage (heat shimmer) makes life harder on scopes.

- There is nothing wrong with buying secondhand if it is in good condition. I got my Acuter for under $200, but it took a while to find it.

It is definitely worth checking out as many scopes as you can before you part with cash. This is a classic case of you being better off paying a bit more for better stuff the first time around. Some of the bird watching forums have reviews. if you find a scope you like, google it and see what real people on forums think of the brand and model. A big part of what you get will depend on what you need to do with the scope, and how much cash you are willing to part with. Rinso did a good review on a Vortex, but it was a bit beyond my budget for what I use a scope for. It is still a good read, though.....viewtopic.php?f=49&t=6379&p=63925&hilit=acuter#p63925

Good luck.

regards, curan
pugster1k

Post by pugster1k »

curan wrote:A couple of note for Pugster1K to consider for a range shooting spotting scope....

- Angled eye piece scopes are better from prone or the bench when by yourself, as the set up can be more versatile. See the photo in the post by deyeye223 and you can see the angled eyepiece lets him place it good and handy. The less you have to move to check the scope, the less you disturb a second shot, so this counts in competition. The angled eyepiece is still just as effective for a spotter to watch fall of shot for you if you are not self spotting.

- Larger objectives generally mean more light gathering, so they will be brighter in overcast or low light conditions. This comes at the cost of the scope being bulkier, and often more expensive.

- Ask others at the range to have a look through their scopes. There is a big difference between good and bad scopes, and I find that trying to see hits on a 200m target with .223 rounds is a good test for a scope. Especially if the rounds were not moly coated (can leave a darker ring). Try looking on hot still days, and you will see how the mirage (heat shimmer) makes life harder on scopes.

- There is nothing wrong with buying secondhand if it is in good condition. I got my Acuter for under $200, but it took a while to find it.

It is definitely worth checking out as many scopes as you can before you part with cash. This is a classic case of you being better off paying a bit more for better stuff the first time around. Some of the bird watching forums have reviews. if you find a scope you like, google it and see what real people on forums think of the brand and model. A big part of what you get will depend on what you need to do with the scope, and how much cash you are willing to part with. Rinso did a good review on a Vortex, but it was a bit beyond my budget for what I use a scope for. It is still a good read, though.....viewtopic.php?f=49&t=6379&p=63925&hilit=acuter#p63925

Good luck.

regards, curan
Thanks for the advice
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Mate have a look at the Celestron's,I have a 20x60x80 ,no it dont have ED glass in it,yes its most likely made in China but it aint half bad,I paid $430ish from a cutlery shop in WA of all places.If I compare it to my bustedarse Leupold piece of shit it makes the Leupold appear as if you are looking through the bottom of a schooner glass.

Regards Chris.