Night vision or infared scope?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
PsePete
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Night vision or infared scope?

Post by PsePete »

G'day Everyone. What is better. night vision or infa red for a rifle scope?
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Re: Night vision or infared scope?

Post by Seddo »

How deep are your pockets? IR and Thermal scopes are not cheap.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Manic Industries make a night vision kit that attatches to your existing scope. There is a thread on AHN and Diesel is the man behind it.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

I have never looked through an IR scope, i had a play with digital NV and WPT but never shot anything with either. The WPT is nice to look through, its black and white.
BP72
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by BP72 »

PsePete wrote:G'day Everyone. What is better. night vision or infa red for a rifle scope?
Interesting question , I'm having trouble with this myself , either way you'd want to go the full goggles and scope to get the most from it . No spotlight , no lights nothing , just a sneaky bastard with a rifle !
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Elmer Fudd and I use night vision occasionally for problem cats and rabbits when they get in the reserve. Unfortunately what we can get legally here in Aust is shit compared to what is available in th US.

It has its uses but not really worth the money imo.

We got to play with some high end thermal cameras that were being used to monitor birds at night on the tailings dam. These were amazing for spotting cats but at over $30K just a bit out of my league.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Dr G!

Welcome back!
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Powabeam works well for me.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

curan wrote:Dr G!

Welcome back!
Thanks mate

Well what do you know, there are two rabbits in the reserve and we are going ninja with the NV and shotties tonight. Odds are we won't see anything (196sq kms and 2 rabbits :roll: ) but I will let you know how we get on
image.jpg
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Don`t forget the Camo.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Do yourselves a favor and checkout the UK night vision forums. Plenty of homemade digital NV systems and they are doing great stuff with them. I have all of the gear to make my own but I don't have the time to put it all together again nor the time to use it!

I reckon that after I see a few reviews on the atn x sight and if it lives up to the hype I would be looking down that road. Especially if you can get them from the states direct. There is a bloke in Sydney who made a digital scope at home machined from billet with a Chinese CCTV camera and viewer. It is a thing of beauty! They might not be your scope of choice, especially during the day but there are options.

But as others have said what we can get here over the counter does not justify the price. However animals can hardly see the IR lights these blokes are using and with the cameras they use, the area is flooded with IR light so it makes the shooting easy. There has also been spotting devices made where an IR spotlight and camera are used together. The operator looks at the screen so just like a conventional spotlighting session but you don't look outside.

I think most bloke are setting up bait stations for foxes so they just lure them in.

There is a bit of a silent argument going on within the forums about which is the best way to go with digital NV. One camp uses large amounts of IR light with an add on NV device on the back of the scope. The other uses a larger lens to gather more ambient light and only requires a small amount of light on the darkest of nights or long distance shooting. These setups are called "scopeless" because they don't use a normal scope. Downside of this means either a dedicated rifle or removing the scope to fit these ones. Downsides of the add on systems are having to use more light which animals can just see. So ones who have been shot at and missed will get wise to. Plus the shooter must use a different hold of the rifle. Because they must look through a screen rather than the eyepiece of the scope. Some of these systems are "inline" which means the shooter has a more natural hold but must have their eye fighter back(15cm or so). I reckon. This would be quite difficult for longer distance shots unless shooting from a hide or bench where the rifle is sitting steady. The other drawback is light cast out from the screen can light up the shooters face to the animal. So it may not see the light but may very well see a face in the middle of the paddock!

Anyway there are some very clever people doing some bloody impressive stuff over there(and all over the world) one bloke even uses video goggles and a mini control board to switch between his spotter(mounted on a headband) and his scopeless setup. It means he can shoot ramble style off the hip! From memory his best night was 1400starlings and 60 pigeons!

Well worth a look.