Scopes variable magnification

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Scopes variable magnification

Post by Camel »

The Raven wrote:
DSD wrote:How long is a piece of string.
about this long.

Yeah, I know it was a vague question... :)

Ive got a 4.5 to 14 x 50 on my 22 work rifle and I don't shoot more than about 50 mts with it, leave it set on 8 power except when Im shooting one on the ground beside me.
Best I can say mate, is if you like the scope, it doesn't matter if the top end is what may be considered by the main stream to be too high, it what you like and want that counts.
TexNAss
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by TexNAss »

The Raven wrote:
about this long.

It's as long as I cut it.

Crank a scope up to 16x.
Can you live with the haze/field of view? Turn it down to where its nice for you.
Cool- now choose a caliber that suits the distance at your "liveable" magnification for your target animal.

Or just whack on anything bigger than a air rifle.

Most of us used 4x/6x fixed or 3-9/4-12x scopes on the .222 with them stuck on low settings. The higher magnification is handy during the day but not normally needed when spotlighting (fixed power scopes win for light gathering/speed of use).

I reckon 4-16x would be a perfect choice on the usual on a 204, 220, 22-250 or even a 25/06- where the 16x is nice for that 300yard+ shot without extreme trajectory drop.

But that's just me- I find cats get pretty small at 300yards.

Tex.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

TexNAss wrote:
The Raven wrote:
about this long.

It's as long as I cut it.

Tex.
That is exactly my point! It is up to the individual use.
lucky though I think raven understood.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Thanks guys for helping answer the vaguest set of questions ever. It did help me in making a decision, although I'm yet to plonk any cash down on a new scope. I've decided that a 3-12 is likely to be more than adequate even though 4-16 sounds very tempting.
CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by CZ550 »

All of the scopes that I have get left on their highest power setting (12x .30-06, 14x .243 and 20x .204) when I shoot. Have only wished they were on a lower power setting once or twice. You get used to the more limited field of view and target aquisition too.

You need to look at the most likely ranges that you will be shooting at (realistic ranges too :wink: ) and have a power setting that you feel comfortable with at that range. I really like the higher magnification as it allows you to really pin-point shot placement - as Vasily Zaytsev's grandfather says in Enemy at the Gates "aim small, miss small" - plus my eyes are shit so more mag helps!

Raven - I think that you wouldn't regret going for a scope in the higher magnification range, it's always handy to zoom right in for that long range shot when it presents.

Good Luck,

CZ550
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Raven mine do get adjusted.

When I was actually fit enough to "hunt" the 3 -9 was on 9 in open areas and on 3 in scrub or trees.

My high mag scopes are set at 12 for spotlighting but get wound up during the day.

My favorite scope is a 4x16 btw
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Ahh, now I'm tempted to go 4-16. I guess I'll let the Minister for Finance decide...
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

I have wound the scope (6-20 whitetail classic) up over the years, as my eyes get weaker while my shooting has got better. I normally shoot offhand at 10 or 12x, kneeling at 10 to 15x and any "rested position" such as standing post, bench or bipod will normally be between 16 and 20x.

So I would go a 4-16x personally.

As previously stated, horses for courses.

cheers, curan