Illuminated Reticle

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Illuminated Reticle

Post by CZ550 »

G'day All,

My dad is still :roll: looking for a scope to put on his .223 to replace the old 8x56 Tikka he has resting on top of it (needs more magnification with his eyes).

He wanted me to ask all of the learned folks on here a few questions to guide his selection process.

1) Are illuminated reticles a worthwhile addition to a scope?
2) What would scope would you suggest (assume money not an issue)?
3) Reticle choice?

My suggestions were to get a 4.5-14x50 Zeiss, with the standard V-Plex reticle. However, he thinks he needs something a little more exotic :roll:

Any input really appreciated.

Regards,

cz550
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: Illuminated Reticle

Post by Plowboy »

I have had two scopes with illuminated reticles and have not used either one. I would suggest if you dad's eyesight is needing more magnification, the only time they might come in handy, he wouldn't be able to see the target!

Just my 2c
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

I've shot enough of a night time with a night force to say the illuminated reticle is neither here nor there , doesn't make any differance to my hit miss ratio and is just another thing to play with , So really comes down to how bad he wants to try it ( admittedly the first 100 times you use it it has a bit of a wow factor but that wears off )
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I think a big objective, good quality glass and decent magnification are all better than an illuminated reticle.

The Nightforce SHV 4-14x56 would fit the bill if you ask me. In fact I have one set aside for my 223
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

I have two scopes that are illuminated.

A cheap-ass Mark optics chinese scope I picked up for $80 in the secondhand bin of a now closed gunshop. The whole thing lights up and whilst I have not used it, I reckon it would be rubbish.

A brand new Sightron S-Tac 2.5-17.5x56 which has a simple dot in the middle light up when turned on. This looks to be more useful and I would commend the scope to someone looking for a spotlighting/varmiting scope. The magnification is pretty much spot on, the optics are very good (better than the SHV) and the price is very competitive ($1150 retail here in Australia - with deals to be squeezed if you try hard enough).
3potscreamer
Favourite Cartridge: 223wssm

Post by 3potscreamer »

kjd wrote:I think a big objective, good quality glass and decent magnification are all better than an illuminated reticle.

The Nightforce SHV 4-14x56 would fit the bill if you ask me. In fact I have one set aside for my 223
Gotta agree with Keith. That's why I put a Z5 swaro 5-25x52 on my .222 for spotlighting/varminting.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Adam have you used both side by side? In low light? What's the reasons you say the Stac has better optics than the SHV?
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

kjd wrote:Adam have you used both side by side? In low light? What's the reasons you say the Stac has better optics than the SHV?
Sorry mate you have just made my ears prick up and having a look at that scope it seems very good. I just wanted to know how you came to that conclusion.

The reviews seem quite good on the STAC
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

I had a play and a look at the SHV the other week.

Big scope, clear as I've seen during the day. The only other upper end scope I've looked through or had much to do with is a Khales 8 x 56 all my other scopes are loonies so

I would love to have a look under the light though.

It's a lot of cash on a punt to some degree but I'm keen to get one. The IHR reticle is rather fine but I like it.

It would be great to try before you buy particularly for night use.to see if it suits you. How many scopes do you see for sale that just did not suit the owner or intended purpose.

Basically your relying on the brand name and others experience before you take the plunge

Would a hire system possibly be worth some one setting up. Complicated lots of variables to it mounts ect I know but maybe possible.

Flip
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

kjd wrote:
kjd wrote:Adam have you used both side by side? In low light? What's the reasons you say the Stac has better optics than the SHV?
Sorry mate you have just made my ears prick up and having a look at that scope it seems very good. I just wanted to know how you came to that conclusion.

The reviews seem quite good on the STAC
I had a look through the SHV at the Shot Show before going back to the Hunters Element stuff across the way and whilst it is good, it is clearly built to a price to compete with the Bushnell pseudo tacticool scopes in the $1000 price bracket for the US market.

I didn't rate the glass as being of the same quality as the Sightron S-TAC which is one of two scopes sold by Sightron that have HD glass. Before you think the S-TAC is a tactical scope, think again. It is a butch target scope, slightly better turret feel than the regular SIII, but still with the tall turrets and still without a hard bottom (ie. Zero Stop).

Try this logic? If people hold the regular SIII image quality to be the equal of a Nightforce NXS (which does seem to be a matter of consensus across the shooting community). And according to Sightron the S-TAC has better glass than the SIII, and according to Nighforce the SHV is aimed at a budget that is not up to the performance of the NXS. Then logically the S-TAC is going to offer a better image than the SHV.

To be sure I would want to put one beside the other and have a good solid look, but I will place my money on the Sightron (as I did).

download/file.php?id=12603&mode=view
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Mate I think you have swayed me and this review:
http://youtu.be/xCmNI5OeQCE
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

kjd wrote:Mate I think you have swayed me and this review:
Interesting review (how many bubble levels can you fit on a rifle?), mirrors my observations of the scope.

I was going to shoot it again today (still getting used to it) but with 40km/h winds and sub-zero temperatures I wimped out and stayed home.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

adamjp wrote:
kjd wrote:Mate I think you have swayed me and this review:
Interesting review (how many bubble levels can you fit on a rifle?), mirrors my observations of the scope.

I was going to shoot it again today (still getting used to it) but with 40km/h winds and sub-zero temperatures I wimped out and stayed home.
Yeah well it's gotta be level you know!

I wouldn't have been caught dead out there today mate.
I think I might put an order in for one tomorrow and put the SHV back on the shelf.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Illuminated Reticle

Post by kickinback »

Edited
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

My 223 wears a kahles 2.5-10x50 with a simple no4 reticle, I find its a good spotlighting scope mate.