max box vs big iron

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Re: max box vs big iron

Post by jeffk »

Brad Y wrote:Jeff these sit on the window so you sit inside the car and shoot out. No bipod needed but they are much better than wobbling on the window edge. We wont be shooting off the top of the ute as there is a fiberglass canopy in the way...
I know that mate, just meant I prefer shooting off the back than out the door!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Well you can shoot off the back if you want but it will be farken cold and probably raining! Knee is feeling better today so looking good I reckon.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

I have both, if you want my max box you could have had it (I binned it 2 weeks ago). It was crap.

First off the magnets were not properly glued into the foam and kept pulling out

No worries I will get a new one, but then you notice the fine print on the paperwork inside the box no refunds, wankers. But I can't be arsed going through consumer affairs so I fix it my self.

2nd it's to low

3rd the top magnets are not powerful enough to keep the rest part in place. I looked at this and they had been glued to deep from the factory. I replaced them with better magnets and this was sorted.

4th I prefer my rest to be a bit further out, these are just to close to the door.

Finally the box was in the back of the cruiser and my range bag or big iron slid over on it and the shitty metal plate became dented in one corner.

Waste of time and money, I pulled my good magnets and ditched the bitch

I have had a big iron since 2005/6 and haven't had to change anything. A mate up here just built me a second one for the other door

Dr G
windknot

Post by windknot »

Well you can't get a much more honest and straight forward review than that :D Thanks for that,

Cheers
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Dr G wrote:I have both, if you want my max box you could have had it (I binned it 2 weeks ago). It was crap.

First off the magnets were not properly glued into the foam and kept pulling out

No worries I will get a new one, but then you notice the fine print on the paperwork inside the box no refunds, wankers. But I can't be arsed going through consumer affairs so I fix it my self.

2nd it's to low

3rd the top magnets are not powerful enough to keep the rest part in place. I looked at this and they had been glued to deep from the factory. I replaced them with better magnets and this was sorted.

4th I prefer my rest to be a bit further out, these are just to close to the door.

Finally the box was in the back of the cruiser and my range bag or big iron slid over on it and the shitty metal plate became dented in one corner.

Waste of time and money, I pulled my good magnets and ditched the bitch

I have had a big iron since 2005/6 and haven't had to change anything. A mate up here just built me a second one for the other door

Dr G
1. I've not handled the max box but the pics made me wonder about the magnets.

Here's a hint: You can get the stronger 'rare earth' magnets from craft and RC hobby shops, glue them in with epoxy and then stick a piece of cloth over the magnet to stop it scratching whatever it's supposed to be holding on to. They probably fitted the magnets deep to avoid scratching the door... which is counter intuitive to making it stay in place.

As for no refunds, that must have been printed outside of Australia. You can't state that in Australia (for most products). I suggest they contact the ACCC and read the TPA.

3. Too low

Suggest product improvement....

4. Not deep enough

Sounds like you need to slide over into the furtherest seat... :lol:
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

G'day Raven. I am aware of the whole refund thing here in Aust, I just couldn't be arsed chasing it. I also replaced the magnets with quality ones. This at least had them work. Regarding the original magnets they are inserted into a plastic plug that then sits in a hole in the foam. Most either fell out or just were to weak to do jack with.

Anyway hopefully my $70 odd dollar lesson will help others if thinking about buying one
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I bought one of the ordinary max boxes as bipod wouldnt work on the 17m4 flat bottomed stock.

As soon as my bipod adapter came I gave the max box to Aussie Steve
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Dr G wrote:G'day Raven. I am aware of the whole refund thing here in Aust, I just couldn't be arsed chasing it. I also replaced the magnets with quality ones. This at least had them work. Regarding the original magnets they are inserted into a plastic plug that then sits in a hole in the foam. Most either fell out or just were to weak to do jack with.

Anyway hopefully my $70 odd dollar lesson will help others if thinking about buying one
Fully understand the not chasing it bit etc. However, a quick phone call to politelty point out the questionable legality of their statement can often yield a happy result
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

Your probably right raven and I have also probably done them a dis-service by slagging their product here without raising it with them in the first place. But I was pretty pissed when I read the crap about no warranties along with the shoddy build, so I guess fuckem really :D
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Camel wrote:Jeff, if you keep saying things like this

"Off the roof in a ute (Assuming it isn't a nice new one with good paint) my preference is still a bipod."

Kickenback is gunna have a heart attack. :lol:
only if its his ute!!!