The little things

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

The little things

Post by Buffy »

After spending a few nights out shooting foxes under the light a few things came to my attention that could make life so much easier.

1. Why haven't any scope manufacturers made their Parallax and magnification settings glow in the dark like analog watch hands and numbers?

2. With today's technology there should be an option for an auto parallax focus system.

These two simple things on a spotlighting scope would make life so much easier I think.

Your Thoughts??

Buffy
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: The little things

Post by Camel »

Yeah it might make it easier in a few situations, but I find that if I leave it set on 200m that covers all my spotlighting situations, I hardly ever touch it.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

The glowing numbers a great idea Buff!

I'm always using a torch, interior light or spotlight to check the power!

Auto focus would be spectacular!

I like the way you think Buff!

Glenn
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

With the availability of glow in the dark paints etc it couldn't be that hard. I know there are companies that can print custom stickers for range that go over your vertical turret. I wonder if you could do something similar for power and parallax?

I just set my scope same as camel -200 parallex and around 8x depending on what we are shooting and it stays there all night.
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Auto focus would be great, but you bet your ass the battery will go flat and be stuck at 25m . . . . . . . JUST when your about to take that 180m shot at a "Buck of a lifetime".

Yeah yeah I know, you would change the battery before going on a big hunt. . . BUT. . . would you really remember?

As for the glow in the dark adjustments, now that is easily doable, just a fine paintbrush and paint from Bunnings/reputable craft store.
GJS
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 30-06/.204

Post by GJS »

I stole self adhesive raised dots from my daughter, put 1 on at 100, 2 at 200 etc. and just go by feel.
aaronraad
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: Solid head brass :)

Post by aaronraad »

GJS wrote:I stole self adhesive raised dots from my daughter, put 1 on at 100, 2 at 200 etc. and just go by feel.
ahh Tactilecool

I'm still waiting for the traditionalist to turn up some scope knobs out of walnut...with ebony inlayed markings of course. :wink:
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

Just get a 8 x 40 fixed power with no whistles and bells. :wink:
But yes excellent idea with the glow in the dark stuff. :idea:
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

Paralax just adjusts with a quick focus euro type on all my scopes so that is easy enough, and i don't seem to bother changing the magnification much from about 7 to be honest, if I can't shoot it properly at that range, chances are the 223 doesn't have the power left when it gets there, for what I am generally shooting.