Tikka 10 shot mag from cleavers......

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Tikka 10 shot mag from cleavers......

Post by Plowboy »

Well it's 9 shot and bloody hard to get the ninth in at that! It FINALLY turned up in Sept after I ordered in in June and was just about to call them to demeans my money back!

I will get photos but while not raving review of it, it does the job apart from being 9 shot. Did find that it is a little tricky to feed though as the spring is quite strong and is a little prone to pushing the case too high and it jams on the way into the chamber. A slight pull back of the bolt takes the pressure off the case and allows it to fall back into line with the chamber.

The magazine is a little tricky to fit as the mag is pretty tight fitting and to get it to click in requires more effort that the factory one.

I don't know if its possible but having a double stack narrowing into single stack feed would be better as the pressure required to fit 9 in is substantial. Maybe the spring will loosen up with work but the amount I am now shooting that will take a LONG time.......

But it works well enough to be usable, as long as your not in a hurry. I will not use it as night as the feeding issues might be more tricky in the dark. Unfortunately that's why I bought it, hoping to only load one magazine for a night as I rarely shoot more than 10 rounds in a night.

So strictly speaking, a waste of money but I will get use from it if I ever get to snipe at bunnies from afar during the day.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Re: Tikka 10 shot mag from cleavers......

Post by Seddo »

not a great start after a long wait :(

i have owned a few pistol mags over the years that wouldnt take 10 rounds, all i did was leaver it loaded (dummy of course :wink: ) for a few days at a time and they work into 10 rounds.
223 fanboy
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by 223 fanboy »

Plowboy,

If you decide to sell your original plastic mag, I'd be interested.

Cheers
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

Seddo wrote:not a great start after a long wait :(

i have owned a few pistol mags over the years that wouldnt take 10 rounds, all i did was leaver it loaded (dummy of course :wink: ) for a few days at a time and they work into 10 rounds.
Yep done that with my sti ten shot mags to soften them up. Works well
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Seddo wrote:not a great start after a long wait :(

Ok cheers might try that :D sorry .223 fanboy will not be selling my factory mag. At least I know it works all the time.

I think that in time it will be better but the extremely long wait for it made me a little more picky that maybe I should be but still.....
penguin
.17 HMR

Post by penguin »

My two 10 shot mags from Cleavers take 11 rounds of 243 and 308 easily, I can even fit a
12th round in them, but it is a little stiff trying to cycle that 12th round.

cheers
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Anyone with these mags know if the 223 version allows longer OAL over the standard mag? Be good for those 1:8 twist 223's!

Cheers
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

I've heard they're 2 mm longer
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Mine is no longer than the factory
siacci

Post by siacci »

Have these mags improved? Are they worth a buy?

Been thinking of swapping to a howa as you can change the box mag to a howa10 shot.
Love my tikka though, just more bullets would be nice.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day all,
FWIW, I was looking at a Tikka for a lefty repeater in .223 in 1:8t for general hunting with 75-80gn Amax's and F class. So off to the LGS to have a squiz. We tried the next longest mag in a RH 223 Tikka rifle (243 from memory) , it fitted and then we loaded a single factory .223 rounds into the mag (Don't panic: we did NOT load the rifle with a LOADED MAG! :roll: ) to see if it was possible to fit a with a 223/80gn would fit, heaps of room, then compared the two mags side by side and by all appearances (I was unable to accurately measure & compare the magazine dimensions) it "should" work.
Never got around to doing it and explored other options (thanks for the advice Seddo).
The only thing I didn't try was loading multiple .223 rounds into the larger mag and pushing them out by hand to see if there were problems.

I was definitely encouraged to do further research and bring some dummy rounds alone to try but the $$$ dried up before I could find a lefty Tikka .223 in 1:8T and I wasn't going to sell any of the rifles I did own to fund this one!

Hope this helps
Cheerio Ned
siacci

Post by siacci »

The opening at the top of the 243 mag is a bit wider than the 223 mag. The 223 will pop out at times.

The only difference with the genuine mags is the width at the opening and the block to the rear of the mag. There are 3 different length blocks, s,m,l. They are all interchangeable as the tikka actions are all the same length. Even the bolts are interchangable. So dont mix em up.

Dave
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day Siacci,
thanks for the info, yeah I thought it might be wider, without my dial calliper to check the opening size it was hard to tell, but nevertheless, the .223 round seemed to reasonably secure.
I suppose you could buy n try and if it didn't work you could sell it on..............or by a .243/260/308!
Another issue to resolve was the throat length; is the chamber in a 1:8T Tikka barrel optimised for a typical 75-80gn bullet seating depth?
Cheerio Ned
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

This is very interesting reading guy's,
Ive been looking to do the same as you Ned, head down the LGS with the calipers and some dummy rounds to see what i can see, the bottoms may be inter changeable i just need the time

I have been looking at my T3 204 mag to see if there is away to remove that block, Grind and cut it out with the dremel and relace it with a block of bushing hylon to try and be able to seat the projectiles out further, the problem with the idea sofar is the follower and spring will need to be longer , Im not sure if the sping from the larger mag and a follower would work. bloody expensive to buy a 30/06 one of the other mags, to try it out.

Probably need to do the bolt stop as well as discribed in the tread when i was asking about the 6.5 x 55.

Flip