Looking for some tent advice

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Looking for some tent advice

Post by The Raven »

Hi guys,

I'm starting to look for a lightweight tent (or swag) that can fit in/on my backpack for 'emergency' use. I've already got a good swag but it best suits those situations where you can drive to site rather than hike in.

Can anyone recommend a good tent/swag suitable for a backpack?

Obviously I want it to be waterproof and lightweight but, it's also important it can take a full grown Aussie sized bloke. I'm just over 6 foot 2 and 'undertall' for my weight (if you know what I mean) so anything designed for smaller people need not apply.
17hmr
.243 Winchester

Re: Looking for some tent advice

Post by 17hmr »

have a look at a 'black wolf bivy'. about 1kg worth, should be alright to carry around
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Have a look around the web for what the push bike guys use when touring. There are some outstanding single pole tents that are light and should have enough room for you. Lets face it you just need room to stay dry and keep the rifle warm right :D

Some thing like this macpac microlight think its less than 1.5kg
http://www.macpac.com.au/shop/en_au/gea ... light.html

There are other brands with similar tents. Just found blackwolf they have a few like the mantis or stealth mesh etc
http://www.blackwolf.com.au/products.php?category_id=22

Or how about these
http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock

Ryan
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Tarptent. I have the Contrail.....
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

stinkitup wrote:Lets face it you just need room to stay dry and keep the rifle warm right :D
I need room for more than one rifle... :roll:

Didn't know about the Bivy's. Damn expensive for high tech plastic sheet :shock:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

17hmr wrote:have a look at a 'black wolf bivy'. about 1kg worth, should be alright to carry around
I like the stealth model. Have you ever used one of these (black wolf or similar)?
Mulga
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .222 Rem

Post by Mulga »

If your'e looking for an 'emergency' shelter it realy requires more information :?: In an emergency the shelter will be vital to your survival and what that requires varies with the conditions :?:
17hmr
.243 Winchester

Post by 17hmr »

im a fan of all my blackwolf gear. backpacks, sleeping bags, a tent. good quality gear thats lasted me years. one of their backpacks ive had for over 15 years and still using it. havent used there smallest tent but used a mantis and it was nice and comfy, enough room for me and the missus, but probably a bit bigger than you would want to carry around.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still going through the brands and capabilities/reviews of various shelters but thought I should clarify what I'm after.

Whilst I said I was after an 'emergency' style shelter, I'm looking more at something suitable for my backpack that isn't going to add lots of bulk/weight (compromise I know).

My primary campsite shelter will be a swag or large tent but, there are situations where I'd like to have a shelter in my backpack (eg. Caught in a storm away from the campsite, or perhaps a hike/camp scenario).

Initial research suggests that I should be looking for a 2 man shelter rather than 1. A 2 man shelter gives me more options, such as being able to fit both myself and my gear inside out of any miserable weather *OR* even a second person.

Cost is also an issue. I'd find it hard to justify a $500 micro-shelter that is going to see limited use. My Minister of Finance wouldn't be happy. However, I could probably get away justifying a sub-$200 solution to the Minister...

Yes, I'm looking for the ultimate compromise: Fit a big bastard and his kit/rifle, be lightweight and small enough for a backpack, waterproof, comfortable, robust, easy to pitch/pack, fit a friend (if needed), be in a subdued colour that blends into the surrounds, and costs as little as possible. That shouldn't be too asking for too much! :roll:
Mulga
.222 Remington

Post by Mulga »

I will assume you are hunting the Victorian high country?

In winter above the snowline definatley a four season tent (go to http://bushwalk.com/forum/ for good information), I use a MacPac Minaret. If you are bellow the snowline in the cooler months and above the snowline in warmer months, a goretex (epic etc) bivy or with an optional snugpak bag would work well. You can also get plastic survival bags. Bellow the snowline in the warmer months an army hootchie or light weight Wilderness Equipment tarp will suffice. Very minimum a good quality space blanket added to your first aid kit can make a good makeshift shelter.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Mulga wrote:I will assume you are hunting the Victorian high country?

In winter above the snowline definatley a four season tent (go to http://bushwalk.com/forum/ for good information), I use a MacPac Minaret. If you are bellow the snowline in the cooler months and above the snowline in warmer months, a goretex (epic etc) bivy or with an optional snugpak bag would work well. You can also get plastic survival bags. Bellow the snowline in the warmer months an army hootchie or light weight Wilderness Equipment tarp will suffice. Very minimum a good quality space blanket added to your first aid kit can make a good makeshift shelter.
Vic High Country is a probability but most camping should be well below the snowline. I'll look at the MacPac, although the Tarptent Scarp 1 or 2 look great.

As for space blankets, already equipped with several but it's not my first choice for camping. :wink:
Mulga
.222 Remington

Post by Mulga »

The Raven wrote: As for space blankets, already equipped with several but it's not my first choice for camping. :wink:
[/quote]

No worries. Your backpack camping. I thought you wanted an 'emergency' shelter. Forget what I said then :oops:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Mulga wrote:No worries. Your backpack camping. I thought you wanted an 'emergency' shelter. Forget what I said then :oops:
My fault, I said 'emergency'.
Peacemaker
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by Peacemaker »

The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

That looks very nice. Do you have one of these?