spotting scopes ?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
deadkelly
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

spotting scopes ?

Post by deadkelly »

g'day all ! i'm wanting a spotting scope mainly for range use . i'll be using a 243 win for long range practice & target work . i know it will be a hard feat seeing 6mm holes in paper at 500 m & beyond . can it be done for under $500 ? i almost spend $300 today on a redfield 20-60x60 but thought i'd ask on here first .
btw i need a target / varmint scope for starters ( i'm using a cheap 3x9x40 for now ) i'm on a very tight budget for now . i have seen some scopes on line i think they were called muller or something similar , they seemed very reasonably priced . $500 would be my limit .
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

spotting scopes ?

Post by chappo555 »

IMHO you wont buy a sub $500 spotter that will resolve 6mm holes at 500+ yards. I tried it with a leupold 20-60 power and it was useless. I ended up selling it. Saw them better through the NF scope.
I now use my mates vortex 20-60x80 that is as good as another mates zeiss in the same power but both are worth big bucks.
I reckon u will waste 500 bucks if u buy a spotter in that range. Put the money towards a NF scope instead.
Just my two cents.
Chappo
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Re: spotting scopes ?

Post by deadkelly »

yeah i kinda thought that . i'm glad i didn't spend that $300 today :wink: mmm well that's why i'm asking you guy's . what is everybody using ?
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

deadkelly wrote:yeah i kinda thought that . i'm glad i didn't spend that $300 today :wink: mmm well that's why i'm asking you guy's . what is everybody using ?
Sorry had to add it in.... Im using an electronic target that tells you exactly where the bullet landed! :lol: :lol: :lol:
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

are you on xbox or ps3 brad :roll: :D .
500Nitro
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Brad Y wrote:
deadkelly wrote:yeah i kinda thought that . i'm glad i didn't spend that $300 today :wink: mmm well that's why i'm asking you guy's . what is everybody using ?
Sorry had to add it in.... Im using an electronic target that tells you exactly where the bullet landed! :lol: :lol: :lol:

REAL SHOOTERS shoot things that bleed, the thing falls over dead when the bullet hits
so no need for electronic targets :D
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

I have a Vortex 20-60 Spotting scope that is excess to my needs I would take $500 plus post
cj7hawk
Favourite Cartridge: Air

Post by cj7hawk »

What about a small transmitting camera that is affixed close to the target so you can watch your impacts on a small screen? 500m is a long way, but there are some that will make it OK. and you can fix a shielded loupe over a small screen for daylight use.

I bought such a sample unit while I was at SHOT show and while I haven't tried it here yet, the demonstration unit looked pretty good. I'm sure you can find one on Ebay cheap enough to use ?

Otherwise, perhaps you can use an astronomical telescopes with an erecting lens? They are pretty cheap now at Dick Smith and the likes.

Regards
David
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

spotting scopes ?

Post by GriMo »

500Nitro wrote:
Brad Y wrote:

REAL SHOOTERS shoot things that bleed, the thing falls over dead when the bullet hits
so no need for electronic targets :D

I suspect you mean hunters?
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

used to have a yukon that cost 380 landed that would resolve 223 holes at 500 regularly but just like the big boys yes eventually conditions dictate that no spotting scope will see any size hole. As chappo said though the nightforce would be a better choice for my mind. buy better quality the first time and you will not outgrow it as quickly
aam
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22 Hornet

Post by aam »

juzz338 wrote:used to have a yukon that cost 380 landed that would resolve 223 holes at 500 regularly but just like the big boys yes eventually conditions dictate that no spotting scope will see any size hole. As chappo said though the nightforce would be a better choice for my mind. buy better quality the first time and you will not outgrow it as quickly
+1 What juzz338 and chappo said.

I have a Leica 20-60 spotting scope. Once mirage kicks in forget about seeing you're holes. Conditions will dictate.
Having said that. If you use shoot n C targets, you can see the splash of colour at 300m in heavy mirage no problems on 20 power.

Don't be in a rush to spend you're hard earned cash. Save the money and get something decent. You will be glad you did wait and save. This is from experience.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

Rinso wrote:I have a Vortex 20-60 Spotting scope that is excess to my needs I would take $500 plus post
Which model? Nomad, viper or viper HD?
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Peacemaker wrote:
Rinso wrote:I have a Vortex 20-60 Spotting scope that is excess to my needs I would take $500 plus post
Which model? Nomad, viper or viper HD?
Skyline