Laminate wood

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
bobeager
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm Dasher

Re: Laminate wood

Post by bobeager »

Micrplanes are give more control and a better finish than a rasp. Be careful, the ones that are featured in cooking shows for grating cheese etc WILL NOT cut wood.

Also, I have found that it takes just as much effort and cost to make a stock out of crap wood, as it does with good timber...get the best wood you can and go SLOWLY. I also prefer a 40 to 60 grit disc sander/grinder to the Arbortech.

But it is OK to use a less expensive wood for first project ( I buggered my first job when slipped uding the Router)

Try laminating good quality AA marine ply with a quality expoxy marine glue like "RO 45"

A photo of my latest F Class stock. Blank imported from USA for $190 and worth every penny.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16 ... 629zn.jpg/

Cheers
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

I guess that means Im going to bunnings this arvo! I was told yesterday by mate that a 40 grit sanding disc would be better than the arbortech, maybe a little slower but alot safer.

So that means holesaws, microplanes, 40 grit discs, extra jigsaw blades...

Bob have you also tried the tungsten carbide burrs to do any quick removal in tight spots?
bobeager
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm Dasher

Post by bobeager »

For a thumbhole. I use a forstner bit to make a small hole, say 20mm. I then use a Wood carvers gouge and a mallet to enlarge and cut the area for the thumb/palm roughly to shape, then use the round microplane rasp to shape, then the round sanding bobbins in an electric drill ( slow speed) to refine, and finish with hand sanding from 120, 220, 360 grit.

when using the rasp, don't cut too deep, as you will remove another 1/2 to 1mm of material in the detail finishing.

Another tip, is before you start on the wood, make a cardboard template (side view) of your design, and mark all the measurements on it, including position of take down screws, trigger in relation to grip. Old carpenters saying, measure twice, cut once.

If you need a trigger guard, Jame Corbet at www.triplej.com.au has some.
Sneaky
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Sneaky »

Rabbitz wrote:Jesus H Christ!!!!

Why did you post that site Bob???

I could spend a fortune there and then the Mrs will cut the other nut off....

:P
I can almost throw a rock into their carpark from where I sit, it's a VERY dangerous place to visit.