Aldi night vision

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Marco
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 7.62x39

Aldi night vision

Post by Marco »

thats right Night vision in Aldi 25/8/11 (on sale next thursday) $199.00
but what they dont say is what generation it is?

http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_ ... 8-18-04-22
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Re: Aldi night vision

Post by adamjp »

1st GEN, Russian tube.

Should be able to spot a rabbit at around 15m.

Trust me, I've got one very similar. They do work well for boating, etc., but they just don't have the resolution to be useful when hunting.
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

Can buy a pair of night vision goggles from Toys R Us that are of about the same quality for 49.99 and have the advantage of both hands free....
cj7hawk
Favourite Cartridge: Air

Post by cj7hawk »

+1 - Gen1 just doesn't have the gain necessary, even in the city where there's always lots of light.

This is a bit old, but it does make a good Gen1/Gen2 comparison chart.

When it gets dark, Gen1 doesn't really have the gain to provide an image.

All of those images are taken in a relatively high light environment too... In the country, under starlight, that Gen2 scope would struggle as well.

Regards
David
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

my brother had a look at them [in the catalogue] wouldnt touch em either.
he will get a good look soon.his gf works for aldi.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

What's the legality of these for hunting? No, I'm not trying to party poop but I'm sure I saw something in the Vic firearm legislation that prohibited night vision for hunting. From memory this was some how associated with spotlighting.

I'll try to hunt up the reference again, but perhaps someone here already knows the answer.
Marco
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 7.62x39

Post by Marco »

cj7hawk wrote:+1 - Gen1 just doesn't have the gain necessary, even in the city where there's always lots of light.

This is a bit old, but it does make a good Gen1/Gen2 comparison chart.
When it gets dark, Gen1 doesn't really have the gain to provide an image.

All of those images are taken in a relatively high light environment too... In the country, under starlight, that Gen2 scope would struggle as well.

Regards
David
i would like to effing know how the hell soldiers used gen 1 starlight in nam?
and why the hell we cant have better than gen 2 here in oz especially when gen4 exists and possibly even gen5

any good to you guys with night sights? ebay item number:190568141019

Gp-cC0EGTYc
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

Marco wrote:and why the hell we cant have better than gen 2 here in oz especially when gen4 exists and possibly even gen5[/youtube]
We can have better. We can basically have whatever we like. The problem is getting it out of the US. Anything better than Gen 2+ is heavily restricted for export.
cj7hawk
Favourite Cartridge: Air

Post by cj7hawk »

Marco wrote: i would like to effing know how the hell soldiers used gen 1 starlight in nam?
They used some Gen0, but mostly they used something called a "Starlight Scope" since Gen2 wasn't invented in time for Vietnam... A Starlight scope was a 3-tube cascade - ie, three tubes in a row, all coupled by fiber plate.

Each tube was capable of around 50x intensification after losses, but each multiplied the last. This gave a final gain of over 100,000 in some cases. ( 50x50x50 ) - I have run projects on other forums to show people how to make these spotters and could run one here if anyone is interested. The cheapest tubes are gone now, but reasonably priced good tubes are still obtainable. These are big spotters, but will work under starlight just fine.

I've probably made about half a dozen of them in the past. They outperform most Gen2.
Marco wrote: and why the hell we cant have better than gen 2 here in oz especially when gen4 exists and possibly even gen5
We can... We can have super second gen and an XR5 performs as well as a top-level US Gen3.

Some comparisons I took between US Gen3 Omni V, Gen 3 Omni VII and a DEP Photonis XR5.

The XR5 is very good and even in this dark environment, works really well. They are used by the Aussie military and are exceptional tubes... The cost is a bit high though.

However if you get a good Gen2 SHP in something like a MUM-14, they are very close. ( The XR5 is in a MUM-14 in this picture )

Gen4 doesn't exist anymore. Officially. The Gen4 saga is a long and complicated one, but basically the tubes were too fragile at the time they came out. So the US military canned them and revoked the Gen4 label. If anyone really wants to hear it, I can recount it, but unless you have a military history interest, it's really not worth hearing. It took me a few years of research to get to the bottom of that story.

Gen5 does not and has never existed.

Current leading edge US development is around digital NV, but way better than can be bought commercially... And also around higher resolution, wider FOV devices. The best currently in deployment is US made Gen3 Omni VIII and it really is very good. But as you can see, not all that much better than XR5. If I gave you both to compare, you'd notice the difference, but otherwise it's pretty slight and a top-quality aviation-grade XR5 is still more than capable compared to the US Gen3 scopes.

Regards
David