gold plating

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Marco
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 7.62x39

gold plating

Post by Marco »

does anyone know of anywhere in nsw, where the will gold plate a whole gun or part of?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: gold plating

Post by Camel »

:wink: :wink: Dunno about gun parts, but you could try Macquarie street in Sydney, heard they pretty good at it there, they can even gold plate bullshit there in parliament house. :) :)
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

Most (proper) jewellers can do plating. By proper I mean manufacturing jewellers, rather than shop front jewellers.

Although now is probably a bad time to do it. Gold is currently trading at an all time high...

I hope this helps.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

There is a plating method that delivers a gold colour, but does not use gold.

There are also some paint systems that do the same thing.

Do you want gold plated, or gold colour plating?
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

Marco just remember he must take possession of your weapon and not many trades like jewellers ect. are licensed or can legally do that sort of stuff on firearms.

All the best
John
Marco
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 7.62x39

Post by Marco »

adamjp wrote:There is a plating method that delivers a gold colour, but does not use gold.

There are also some paint systems that do the same thing.

Do you want gold plated, or gold colour plating?
yeah i googled information on gun coating and found out in some discussions that gold plating
although it looks sweet, it doesn't wear very well and doesn't last on the bolt, but i also found two other products the one your talking about adamjp: Titanium nitride looks gold, is very hard, wear resistant and corrosion resistant its the gold looking plating that you see on high quality drill bits and its a plasma reaction, this is what im after and ive made some enquiries to a gun company in QLD that have an action coated in the stuff on their site, but im still waiting on their email reply and of coarse i will update this post when they do!

the other is Cerakote (Cerakote = ceramic coating) and they have a site with lots of pics of guns, this stuff is painted on and the do some of the sickest camo jobs on guns i have ever seen, they also do a gold but it looks like the gold that you get from spray painting with an aerosol can and as a result it doesnt look like real gold where the titanium stuff does!
anyway heres the site: http://www.nicindustries.com/ its in the USA but if your looking at the homepage, look at the bottom RHS for APPLICATOR SEARCH and in the search bar type
Australia and you will get various gun shops that do it here.

this is a vid that i found showing the durability of cerakote
tsAEkd09TiY

the pic below is what the titanium coating looks like.
Attachments
PSP1_500.jpg