M17 Trigger Assembly

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

M17 Trigger Assembly

Post by Rabbitz »

I am on the lookout for an after market trigger for an M17 (Eddystone). The current trigger was set up for competition about 20 years ago so its pull is about 300lbs :)

Any ideas on suppliers and availability?
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Re: M17 Trigger Assembly

Post by adamjp »

There is only one I would recommend.

Dayton Traister.

Buy their trigger and their cocking piece. It will make the rifle a cock on opening model AND give you a great trigger pull.
Marco
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 7.62x39

Post by Marco »

i do have 2 original firing pins for an M17
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rabbitz »

Adamjp
Thanks for the suggestion. I have had a look at their website and they are definitely on the list.

The question is, why make it cock on open? Why is this advantageous? I can't see any real upside, and I can see that cock on close will have the advantage of decocking the spring between uses...

Marco
How much are you asking for them?
Marco
.204 Ruger

Post by Marco »

I don't know , how much are they, I bought them in the early 80's and they cost me $20 each
but I will only part with 1 cause I may need the other as i too own an M17 :D
they are both MINT! condition
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rabbitz »

Ahhh seems I have run into a complication.

I decide to disassemble the bolt, I've had the thing 25+ years and never had to do it previously.

So I found the disassembly instructions, and no go. Can't separate the cocking piece from the firing pin. A closer look shows the cocking piece is riveted to the firing pin.

A bit of research shows that Numrich put together a 'cock on open' speed kit assembly for the M1917, which comes as one piece. Apparently it doesn't like after market triggers.

So now I have work out if I want to get all the bits to make it more like the original, go the DT path (and add a FP, spring and Collar or live with it. The thing shoots well enough for what it is, just has a H E A V Y trigger.

Why is it never easy with these things?
Marco
.204 Ruger

Post by Marco »

Rabbitz wrote:Ahhh seems I have run into a complication.

I decide to disassemble the bolt, I've had the thing 25+ years and never had to do it previously.

So I found the disassembly instructions, and no go. Can't separate the cocking piece from the firing pin. A closer look shows the cocking piece is riveted to the firing pin.

A bit of research shows that Numrich put together a 'cock on open' speed kit assembly for the M1917, which comes as one piece. Apparently it doesn't like after market triggers.

So now I have work out if I want to get all the bits to make it more like the original, go the DT path (and add a FP, spring and Collar or live with it. The thing shoots well enough for what it is, just has a H E A V Y trigger.

Why is it never easy with these things?
why not track down another original M17 bolt and change the bolt handle if needed!
Last edited by Marco on Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rabbitz »

Marco wrote: why not track down another original M17 bolt and change the bolt handle if needed!

there a youtube clip that explains how to disassemble an M17 bolt ...... see if i can find it
Disassembly is easy enough... If the Numrich assembly wasn't riveted.

I really just need the FP, FP Spring, Collar and Cocking Piece if I want to change it. I've cleaned it out now, so I'll see if that solves the cratering.