The price of US goods in Australia

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Plasmaboy_AU
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 Lapua

The price of US goods in Australia

Post by Plasmaboy_AU »

Hi all, I know it’s been said many times but holy crap! How can people justify the prices they charge for a product they import? I just had a look at the Competition Shooting Stuff stock for a Barnard, $850 USD, local importer in WA, $1800.00 AUD. Now I know there are import fees and shipping but if the US maker can sell them for $850 and turn a profit, and I'm sure dealers get a better price than the $850 retail, what’s the deal with the massive price difference especially when the local importer has his products sell in the USA for a huge amount less than what we are asked to pay
Mulga
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .222 Rem

Re: The price of US goods in Australia

Post by Mulga »

Were getting ripped off period. Don't be loyal to Aussie importers they arn't loyal to us. Buy where ever its cheepest.
Plasmaboy_AU
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 Lapua

Post by Plasmaboy_AU »

I also noticed that ADI powder shipped all the way to the USA and sold by Hogdon is HALF THE PRICE we pay for it here from what I saw on the Sinclair’s web site!

It would be nice if the local suppliers and manufacturers at least bought you dinner or flowers before they **** you :)
Mulga
.222 Remington

Post by Mulga »

LOL good one :lol:
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Plasmaboy_AU wrote:I also noticed that ADI powder shipped all the way to the USA and sold by Hogdon is HALF THE PRICE we pay for it here from what I saw on the Sinclair’s web site!

It would be nice if the local suppliers and manufacturers at least bought you dinner or flowers before they **** you :)
LOL and a card for your birthday :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

Plasmaboy_AU wrote:I'm sure dealers get a better price than the $850 retail,
Guess what your wrong :shock: some of the US retail prices are in fact cheaper than Aus wholesale prices.
Mulga wrote:Were getting ripped off period. Don't be loyal to Aussie importers they arn't loyal to us. Buy where ever its cheepest.
I'm importing Custom Reloading Tools direct from Brad in the US and our prices are on average about 30% above his retail US price or slightly cheaper than what they would cost you to personally import with freight etc taken into account.
I can tell you by the time import costs GST etc are taken into account there isn't much margin in them at that price. If I was wholesaling them to gunshops I would be charging very similar prices. Buy the time they put there markup on covered shipping costs etc the price could be close to double the US price without anyone along the line making anything but a small profit.
If you think your being ripped off there isn't much I can do to change your mind but as someone involved in the industry I can tell you that no one along the line is making a huge profit.
Of all the products we sell firearms accessories and ammo have one of the lowest markups, plenty of other products that have a far bigger margin.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

I say vote with your wallet,as for ADI powder well from what I can work out and been told it's a volume type price structure........
...............no surprizes there.Now if you want parity or close to it,have a look at how much they pay for a NF scope,I dont think Australia is much of a blip on the international firearms equip sales radar..........................................unfortunately.

Regards Chris.
Mulga
.222 Remington

Post by Mulga »

Yeh I have to admit this is a really contentious issue but quite a simple one.

I will generalize and am not pointing any fingers. I have had endless discussions with reps about this. Not just in shooting sports products. Aussie consumers are getting shafted and thats a fact. The game has changed (with the internet, free trade etc) and importers and retailers are slow to adapt. With the currency being so strong at the moment, consumers need to spend where they get better value. Importers and retailers need to step up to the plate and compete or go broke. I know of retailers that are now importing grey market items and avoiding the importers due to thier markups.

And btw I work part time at my local and am well and truly aware of what goes on in the industry, wholesale prices, markups etc.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

chris.tyne wrote:,as for ADI powder well from what I can work out and been told it's a volume type price structure........
...............no surprizes there..Regards Chris.
Chris if you believe that you would believe I have pixie`s in my garden

Have a look at Mulwex powder prices,then ADI and then Thales do it on a time line and then compare the price hike to when distributorship changed
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

Plasmaboy_AU,

We are getting ripped but not always by an much as you think or why you think. I have been importing products for my website for close to 5 years now and unless you are prepared to buy lots of them you wont get a price that is much better than the US price. On top of that you have to pay an exporter to get it here and then you have to make a profit on the money you have outlaid. The costs woudl be a lot less if you bought a container load but then you are outlaying more money with more risk. The best example is Dawson Precision sights. I approached them about becoming thait australian agent, they sad they dont export directly and gave me the details of the company that did it for them. After i got the price list i found out i woudl have had to pay almost retail price for them, then the exporting company had fees that worked out around $500 on the $5000 minimum order. Then whe it all gets here you are up for duty and gst. In the end i didnt go ahead with it as you can generaly buy the goods through a shipping company and get them here cheaper than i could. Now the flip side of that, i am in the middle of exporting 10 handguns from there and the costs work out very reasonable, so much so that i will be able to sell them 100-200 cheaper than you can buy them from here and i can get models that are not brought in at the moment.

Seddo
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

MISSED wrote:
chris.tyne wrote:,as for ADI powder well from what I can work out and been told it's a volume type price structure........
...............no surprizes there..Regards Chris.
Chris if you believe that you would believe I have pixie`s in my garden

Have a look at Mulwex powder prices,then ADI and then Thales do it on a time line and then compare the price hike to when distributorship changed

Missed I could be wrong and I may be oversimplifingy things but if say they sold 20 tonnes of the stuff here and then for arguments sake sold 500 tonnes into the US,which would get the better price break.
I realize that its not that simple and yes I agree that we get what I consider gouged on some items but what do you do?,I purchase as much as I can from the states as thats where most of the gear that I want comes from,I am lucky enough that I know people that will send certain items,I on principle try as hard as I can to not purchase from Nioa but it is unavoidable at times other than that what else can a bloke do?

Regards Chris.
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

On items that have competition and are imported in volume the price is pretty competitive at the shop front. On overseas items that are custom or one-off, different story, my rule of thumb is double the price and then consider the purchase. Always pays to do a little research to establish that the importer is the preferred importer otherwise you might find an extra middleman or two in the queue.

Note: my experience is that if you truly want the part/item the price is the last consideration :D
alex1
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by alex1 »

you might find an extra middleman or two in the queue.

Only if you are paying a lot in tax, lets say 30-50%. Our company has been exporting for years and only costs them around $600 for a 40ft container. Tax is the main issue for distribution in a particular country.
Marco
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 7.62x39

Post by Marco »

Question: why dont the shop owners deal with the importer, say in new zealand, the NZD is cheaper that the AUD..... and no exporter
needed from the USA :P :P and goods must cost less to ship from NZ than USA
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

Just out of curiosity I looked at UK & NZ HMR ammo prices,
converted to Aus dollars they are almost identical to Aus prices :lol: I guess thay must be being robbed as well.