rifle mounted torch

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
johnty
Favourite Cartridge: 223 & 6.5x47L

rifle mounted torch

Post by johnty »

hi guys

need some help o deciding for a rifle mounted torch... i want a torch that shines 200 yards... there are heaps out the and its getting more confusing the more i search... i want one that uses rechargeble batteries 18650's...

do foxes, cats etc eyes still shine in the led light?

so far some ones that look good are:
* JetBeam 3m r5
* olight m20
* wolf eyes night hunter
and many more...

want something thats not too heavy or greatly bulky...
not too worried about pressure switch (or should i be)...
will still use spotlight when shooting to find things but then switch to torch for shot... (not enough hands)

what torch recommend and where are best prices....

Thanks Johnty
fenring

Re: rifle mounted torch

Post by fenring »

Out of those, the Wolf Eyes Night Hunter will throw the furthest, no contest. It has an adjustable aspheric (like a fish eye) lens that you can use to focus the beam down to a very tight spot. This makes it extremely versatile.

The other reason is, the Night Hunter uses a Cree XR-E R2 LED emitter which gives a tighter beam than the Cree XP-G R5 emitters in the other two lights. The XP-G can have a higher output in terms of lumens but the design of the LED emitter itself tends towards a floodier beam than the XR-E.

The Night Hunter also comes with the option of the latest Cree XM-L which puts out a lot more light than either of the above emitters, giving a larger hotspot. It tends to throw a little less, but the sheer amount of light that comes out makes up for that to some extent.

Animal eyes shine in an LED beam just like they do with a halogen light.

I don't bother with a tailswitch - with the light mounted atop the scope it's within easy reach to flick on and off.
17hmr
.243 Winchester

Post by 17hmr »

ive been using a $40 led from jaycar, throws out 170lumens. adjustable spot. good to try and see if u like the idea of a small led.
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

If you want a smallish torch go Night Hunter or if you want a much longer throw its got to be a Sea Lion Hunter. :D
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

I use the Sea Lion Hunter with the Aspheric Lens system on my hummer. I got inspired by Fenring's fox sessions just using a torch :D .

I had originally mounted it on the catkiller but that rifle is just not suitable for walking around or shooting off the shoulder.

As for 200yrds you will get eyeshine and you can see movement in cat sized animals but with my scope setup its getting a little dim for good shot placement. It is perfect for out to 150m which is still a long shot when spotlighting and more than ideal for the HMR which I restrict to around 100m anyway.

Before anyone arcs up I am not saying it cant be done its just IMO you should be using a bigger spotlight for 200m shots, especially if you dont want to be educating any cats and foxes.

Wolf eyes have excellent product service and backup as well. I would recommend them to anyone thinking of a hunting/spotlighting torch.

Dr G
SW-Hunter
Favourite Cartridge: .204

Post by SW-Hunter »

G'day i have the warrior m20 r5 which i use on my hmr and .204. They come with a picatinny mount and pressure switch which i highly recommend, makes shooting and scanning for targets easier. At 100m i can easily see a fox through my scope (vx1 4-12x40) and at the 200m you get plenty of eye colour but probably not enough to make absolute sure of what your shooting. Best used on foot so you can usually get close unlike in a vehicle. I got the smooth reflector as well, tightens the hotspot right up, but still has good spread i use mine as a spotlight as well chasing bunny with my staghound. Super tough torch mil-spec.
Like you say though the options are endless.
fenring

Post by fenring »

I've just ordered the Solarforce Pro-1 which is known in torch-geek circles as the "King of Throw". I've already had a play with a mate's and yes, this thing throws a long way but also has some useful spill. It will out throw my Ultrafire recoil thrower by about 1/3 more or better.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Still interested in the tiablo A9 with collamitor head, some impressive pics of that and the dereelight at the bottom of this page
http://docs.torchworld.com.au/bsc2010/index.html
fenring

Post by fenring »

Yeah, they throw a long way with the aspheric lenses. Pretty sure the Pro-1 out throws any other LED torch with a conventional lens.
johnty

Post by johnty »

thanks very much for the great replies... i think i will get a night hunter... seems that it will do 150 well which is probably all i need...

hope to have it soon...

cheers Johnty
johnty

Post by johnty »

hi fellas

got a sea lion hunter in the mail.... is bloody bright... the normal flood bulb is impressive enough.... the asperical lense on though has some good through but no spill at all...
might get a chance this evening to try it out on my 223

took me ages to get the dual switch end cap to work but i still cant get the pressure switch to work..... anyone had a problem with them before.... i dont think is made wrong... its just not contacting right where it screws in (i think)

reckon its shines a good seeing 250 metres... i am real impressed...

:) cheers johnty
DPV2010
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by DPV2010 »

I ended up getting the Sniper II - your right about the pressure switch thing., I couldnt figure out how to change brightness - even had to ring up and ask haha :lol:
RayG
22-250 Remington

Post by RayG »

What makes me like the Aspherical head in the Sea lion is that the light intensity at 231 yards,(One of my best fox shots with my Savage 99 250-3000 & Torch) is still concentrated enough to light up the dust cloud from a fox fur seen when the slug hits home through my Simmons 4-16 Prairiemaster scope. "Brilliant"
The ongoing development of these LED lights never ceases to amaze me. I have been using my 3 Wolf Eyes torches exclusively on my powder and air guns over the last few years & haven,t touched the old 12 volt spotty in that time.
Keep em coming Glen!
223ackley

Post by 223ackley »

Dont realy use torches over here my fave lamp is the lightforce rifle mounted and hand held very light and gives good illumination of your quarry even with filters fitted
RayG
22-250 Remington

Post by RayG »

223ackley wrote:Dont realy use torches over here my fave lamp is the lightforce rifle mounted and hand held very light and gives good illumination of your quarry even with filters fitted
I do agree with you sticking to the Lightforce gear mate. For years before the torches took my interest,I used nothing but a 140 Lance gun mounted and will still swear by them.