Any recommendations for muzzle brake for 1000yd Light gun?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Any recommendations for muzzle brake for 1000yd Light gun?

Post by RDavies »

Ive decided to put a brake on my 7mm 284 barrel for 1000yd light gun. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what sort is the one to go for. I,m told Ozzie rules prohibit muzzle brakes from pointing back past 90 degrees, so I want one which will be allowed and preferably, one available in OZ so I dont have to worry about import/export etc.
Code4
Favourite Cartridge: .250-3000

Re: Any recommendations for muzzle brake for 1000yd Light gu

Post by Code4 »

I can't recommend one having never used one. I didn't know about the 90 deg rule either which seems to make using a brake worthless.

Tony Small of Nickal Traditional Gunsmiths near Armidale can make a Weatherby copy in C/M or S/S for about A$260 fitted but may need the rifle to fit it. It uses a step chamber inside and 360 deg holes angled rearward a few degrees. He won't do 180 deg designs that need indexing as there is too much chance of them not working. I am going to get him to put one on my .264WM once the Pac-Nor barrel arrives in Feb..

Worth a call. Tony: 0429358303
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

Code4. I have been sent photos of brakes made in OZ, could be from the same person. A 90 degree brake would be better than no brake at all, and maybe stop the reported problems of the push/pull recoil pulse from damaging scopes. I was after one which goes all the way around as it will only be shot from a bench. Shouldnt need indexing then.
Code4
Favourite Cartridge: .250-3000

Post by Code4 »

Well I would still suggest giveing Tony a ring and have a chat. I won't be able to test his version until after Feb next year.

I never thought I would use a muzzle break but I like to watch my shots impact and I lose the sight picture on my .264WM with the scope on 10x magnification.