Buying optics

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
spooler
Favourite Cartridge: 243

Buying optics

Post by spooler »

Does anyone know of a reliable place to buy a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 with BDC Reticle?? Normally like to support Aussie shops but not at $400+ the price of oversea's. I have tried to email a few places and either get 'out of stock', no we wont send O/S due to CC fraud or just no response.
If anyone has any suggestions can they please let me know? PM if you would rather avoid public scruitiny re: O/S purchases :)
dangaff
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .204

Re: Buying optics

Post by dangaff »

spooler

Post by spooler »

Yep..... one of the sites that hasn't contacted me back.
I saw the posts on here saying that they weren't accepting orders over the net and to email them so I did..... still haven't heard anything :-(
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Talk to TrevorT, he has a Vortex scope he is trying to sell. Not sure if it's what you are after model wise, but it is right magnification wise.
spooler

Post by spooler »

Yeah Adam, saw (and commented on) TrevorT's scope on another forum but I was after the the BDC reticle rather than the v-plex so I can use it to judge ranges and holdover easier. If I was going to use this at the range predominantly it would be great. Also, I was after the 50 obj model :evil:

So close though and if I still have no luck soon it may be ok....
dangaff
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .204

Post by dangaff »

spooler

Post by spooler »

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I have ordered what I need now with the exception of the Leupold QRW rings and bases since, apparently, some whiney Australian Importer kicked up a stink and stopped them being exported :evil: I mean, when you can get rings from the states for $50 yet its $150 here, what do they expect?? Bloody hell, they don't weigh a lot so importing them at bulk, discounted 'shop' prices shouldn't increase the price by 300% even with import taxes and mark up!! Bloody shit importers....
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

spooler wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I have ordered what I need now with the exception of the Leupold QRW rings and bases since, apparently, some whiney Australian Importer kicked up a stink and stopped them being exported :evil: I mean, when you can get rings from the states for $50 yet its $150 here, what do they expect?? Bloody hell, they don't weigh a lot so importing them at bulk, discounted 'shop' prices shouldn't increase the price by 300% even with import taxes and mark up!! Bloody shit importers....
Spooler,
Give Natchez shooters supplies (http://WWW.natchez.com) in the states,do a search for "Leupold QRW Rings" Prices start at US $53 a pair, I reckon you will find what you need there. I deal with them quite often and have always got what I need no hassles.
Ray.
Last edited by RayG on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

spooler wrote:Hey guys,

Could it be the same importer we all love so much????????
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

trevort wrote:Could it be the same importer we all love so much????????
Anyone care to PM me the name of this importer??
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

Plowboy wrote:
trevort wrote:Could it be the same importer we all love so much????????
Anyone care to PM me the name of this importer??
There may have been bit of a write up of a tour of said importer recently. :wink:
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Yeah got a PM... grrrr :evil:
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

I doubt the import is making a killing out of it for the sake of it.
They could have imported a heap of them ages ago while the $US was strong and the $AU was weak.

For imports you have 10% GST & 5% from Customs.
Then the company has their cut of say 15% (some will be higher).
Then your deal has a cut of say 15% (some will be higher).

Working in $US.
$50 a set. $57.75 after GST & 5% customs duty.
$66.41 after their cut.
$76.37 after your dealers cut.
That would work out to be $80.55AU without counting shipping from the US & shipping domestically. That is at the current rate of $1AU = $0.9481US.
If they bought at our 12month low of $1AU= $0.8115US. It would be around $94au
If they were bought at the 60c mark it would be $127

So my point is, the prices may be doubled but no where along the line would anyone company be making heaps.
GJS
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 30-06/.204

Post by GJS »

cam_mackps2 wrote: $50 a set. $57.75 after GST & 5% customs duty.
$66.41 after their cut.
$76.37 after your dealers cut.
That would work out to be $80.55AU without counting shipping from the US & shipping domestically. That is at the current rate of $1AU = $0.9481US.
If they bought at our 12month low of $1AU= $0.8115US. It would be around $94au
If they were bought at the 60c mark it would be $127

So my point is, the prices may be doubled but no where along the line would anyone company be making heaps.
That may be true except that the " $50 a set" is the retail price not the wholesale price, the Aussie importers should be pushing for a better price from their supplyers not screwing us.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Importing them direct cuts out only 2 middle men. Postage would be less for them because they would be buying several at once. And the price they would be getting would be substantially better than retail for US customers. After all these guys in the US are probably going through at least one middle man themselves!