Cheap Torch/Spotlight

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Ron Goulding
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Cheap Torch/Spotlight

Post by Ron Goulding »

Hi all , i recently was at a Gunsmith here in Syd to get some work done on my 6mm ppc. Whilst i was there he was making up some torch mounts on his lathe. He showed me these torches he sell for approx $80, when he told me what these torches could do i Scoffed and said no way. He reckons he could see foxes out to 200 yards easily. He was that confident that he said put it in your pocket and if it dosent do as he claims then give it back next time i saw him. If it does then fix him up then. So i took his challenge and F%#k me dead if it doesnt do as he claims. I have a creek running out the back of my place and when all the street likes are off its pitch blk . There is a house with a fence across the other side of the creek with graffiti which would have to be close to 150mtrs , and blow me down i could see it as if it where in the daylight with the naked eye. I could see how it would work even better looking through a rifle scope with this on top. Il gladly pay him my $80 next weekend end when il see him at the Penrith gun show. It is marked EDI-T P4 and is proberly made in china , it uses 3 AAA batteries, Closed it works as a normal torch or if you extend the little shade it turns into a very good spotlight. Cheers Ron
Attachments
Picture 070.jpg
Picture 069.jpg
sixmill
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Re: Cheap Torch/Spotlight

Post by sixmill »

I carry the same torch on my belt for work, they are great. Mine needs tape wrapped around the battery carrier to tighten it up as it rattles a little.
I also have a couple of cheapies from dealsextreme which are the same brightness for only US $13, at that price they are hard to beat, i think they are a X2000 flood to throw light.
cruisey
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .303

Post by cruisey »

sixmill wrote:
I also have a couple of cheapies from dealsextreme
I have been looking there as well, but so many to choose from :? I have narrowed it down as far as a lithium battery powered one :wink: maybe a cree
500Nitro
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Yes they are good. The only problem I see if the 3 x AAA, if they used the one large rechargeable battery,
it would be so much better.
fenring

Post by fenring »

They get their long throw from the aspheric lens - which of course can also be focused to a flood making it rather versatile. The AAA batteries however suck and a light using a larger Li ion 18650 rechargeable has a lot more potential, will run longer and you won't be chucking money away on single use batteries.

$80 is a bit much for one of them IMO.
deadkelly
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by deadkelly »

wow haven't these led torches come along way !
i have just bought a led lenser h7 head lamp . it's tiny & weighs 117 grams ( band inclued )
it claims 140 lumens , & a range upto 160 m .

now i'd really like a good lil torch to mount on top of a scope for spot lighting rabbit's , foxes & hares . i have seen a few but don't like the bulky plastic mounts .
have you guy's got any recommendations ???? or good sites on the net to look at ???
CBorg
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by CBorg »

deadkelly

try the search function - plenty of discussions on this site about flashlights / torches / mounts

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8297

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8633

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9566

after reading fenring's Eagletac review I bought a couple of them and the dx rubber mount. For just over $2 it works very well

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000

I also bought an Eastward YJ R2 torch from DX. Not as handy or nice as the Eagletac, but man that thing is bright!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Give "Wolf Eyes' a try....
Glen & Terri are great to deal with, I bought a Sniper Hunter from them over 12 months ago.
Brilliant (pardon the pun) on the .22 Ruger 77...bunnies dont stand a chance.
Later I bought an Angel HO..little tiny thing that comes with a pocket clip but still out performs my old Maglite...!!
Latest purchase is a Sealion Hunter ..700 Lumens - just playing with it I am very impressed.
It will end up of the 22-250 but havent had time to give it a good work out yet.
All of them are Lithium rechargables and built to last..brass sleeves inside aircraft alloy bodies, pressure activated tape switches, upgradeable optics. They really make a nice unit.

Cheers
Rob
fenring

Post by fenring »

I have been trying a torch I put together that has a RED emitter - it makes varmint eyes light up like red hot coals. Side to side comparo with a regular LED, the red makes them light up much more.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Fen, I have 2 wolf eyes so dont need another torch but was on deal extreme last night thinking of retail therapy on another cheap one!!

What would you recommend with a focused beam?
fenring

Post by fenring »

Tight spot with longish throw, these work well. Not adjustable though. The spot is a square like the shape of the LED emitter. Uses an 18650 battery and runs for a good three hours.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22934

The one I got is a single mode, they seem to now just ship three mode ones (low, strobe, high)
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

fenring wrote:I have been trying a torch I put together that has a RED emitter - it makes varmint eyes light up like red hot coals. Side to side comparo with a regular LED, the red makes them light up much more.
Have you found anything suitable?
I think i might buy a Dereelight DBS soonish as my Fenix TK11 is getting dull (got some new batteries coming, to see if my current batteries are the problem). If i could get a ready made pill to screw in would be great. I have found a few red LED emitters but would need to rig up the pill with driver etc. I don't like my soldering skills that much either.
fenring

Post by fenring »

My first test, the light wasn't perfect, but it works OK with an aspheric lens to give it more range. With a regular reflector it hasn't quite got enough throw to see and shoot much past 50m. With the aspheric you can shoot to about 100m, but efficiency isn't that good due to losses into the lens and elsewhere. But it lights eyes up like nothing else.

Might change the driver and see if I can squeeze more out.

trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

fenring wrote:Tight spot with longish throw, these work well. Not adjustable though. The spot is a square like the shape of the LED emitter. Uses an 18650 battery and runs for a good three hours.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22934

The one I got is a single mode, they seem to now just ship three mode ones (low, strobe, high)

bought it, cheers