Varminting Or Small Game Hunting???

lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Varminting Or Small Game Hunting???

Post by lowndsie »

Well with the intro of the new airgun boards, I thought it'd be a good time to discuss whether or not air gunning is classed as varminting. Imo its not as I've always thought of varminting as long range shooting with high powered rifles.

???????
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Re: Varminting Or Small Game Hunting???

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Lowndsie wrote:Well with the intro of the new airgun boards, I thought it'd be a good time to discuss whether or not air gunning is classed as varminting. Imo its not as I've always thought of varminting as long range shooting with high powered rifles.

???????
What is a varmint???

defn: Varmint;
1. noxious, objectionable, or disgusting animals collectively, esp. those of small size that appear commonly and are difficult to control.
2. animals that prey upon game, as coyotes, bobcats or weasels.
3. an objectionable or obnoxious person, or such persons collectively.

Indian Mynahs and Starlings fall into the first category,... so I would say yes!
7mmmag

Post by 7mmmag »

3. an objectionable or obnoxious person, or such persons collectively.[/i]

Does that include politicians?
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

7mmmag wrote:3. an objectionable or obnoxious person, or such persons collectively.[/i]

Does that include politicians?
Yes but they are a protected species :lol: :lol:
Detritus
.22 WMR

Post by Detritus »

[What is a varmint???

1. noxious, objectionable, or disgusting animals collectively, esp. those of small size that appear commonly and are difficult to control.

Well going by the definition PIGEONS, my evil nemisis species falls right into it, so airguns are perhaps a form of "Urban" varmination tool.!?!

Ha ha... as for the pollys damn it, they would be protected species too hey.....(wonder if you can get tags/permits like for roos ..... jk :wink: )

Cheers
Det.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day all,
IMHO varminting is using accurate rifles to shoot vermin with pin point shot placement. Shooting Rabbits with an air rifle is exactly that.........
Cheerio Ned
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

So where do u draw the line and say small game hunting? I mean shot guning doesnt seem to be classed as varminting?? Most wld say small game hunting with a shotgun.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Lowndsie wrote:So where do u draw the line and say small game hunting? I mean shot guning doesnt seem to be classed as varminting?? Most wld say small game hunting with a shotgun.
Who gives a shit? LMAO!!!
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

WTF??? 80% of your posts could be replied to with that exact same quote!!
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Lowndsie wrote:
WTF??? 80% of your posts could be replied to with that exact same quote!!
Oh have a sook just because you got shut down by everyone :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

Lowndsie wrote:Well with the intro of the new airgun boards, I thought it'd be a good time to discuss whether or not air gunning is classed as varminting. Imo its not as I've always thought of varminting as long range shooting with high powered rifles.

???????
Hi Lowndsie,
I respect your opinion on the definition of varminting. But look at it this way.
It is the same principle but at a hell of a lot shorter ranges,and IMO just as challenging in putting the shot on the POA doing a barrel stretch with a high performance Air Rifle.
Good Shooting mate! RayG.
astro

Post by astro »

Drew Jaeger wrote:

???????
What is a varmint???

2. animals that prey upon game, as coyotes, bobcats or weasels.
3. an objectionable or obnoxious person, or such persons collectively.

Indian Mynahs and Starlings fall into the first category,... so I would say yes!
i was under the impression that varmiting was WHAT you shoot, not HOW you shoot it, just my 2cents worth :roll:

astro