BSA Hornet

Whitey
.17 HMR

BSA Hornet

Post by Whitey »

Picked up a new Hornet .22 today from Lewis. Thanks again Lewis. This is one nice rifle. The stock is a great shape with a nice feel to the grip, the finish is excellant and the trigger is very nice. The screws on the rifle are hex heads which I like.

Raced home and mounted a Weaver 4-12 AO on it in Sportmatch mounts. The mounts are a fraction on the high side, but makes for more space for loading, as I have big fingers. Set up the "Down hall" Range and sighted it in. Quite loud indoors. After a very few shots it was spot on taking out the bull on an Olympic 10 m target with no worries. My range is about 13 m. The pellet goes in place fairly easily and the front cocking takes a bit to get used to. Just cause it's different I guess.

Well I guess the next thing is to give it a go on some rats. Will update when I have.

If you are keen to get into PCP airgunning, but a couple of grand for highend rifles is a bit too much, then the Hornet may be just what you are looking for. And getting it from Lewis, you can rest easy in the knowledge that the rifle will be looked after properly and the warranty is safe.

Later
Predator

Post by Predator »

looks very nice! hows the cocking mechanism?
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Thanks for the plug Brendan!
Glad you're happy.That's what I like to hear.
Thank you!
Whitey
.17 HMR

Post by Whitey »

The cocking mechanism is fine. I think initially it is all a bit odd, but I think it's because it's different. It does take a reasonable effort to cock, but the more I shot it the more I liked it. I am a bit of a safety freak, so that adds to it also. Suppose it is just like a different type of safety. The other good thing about this rifle is it is a quick fill.
makrand
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by makrand »

That is a beauty.

Might have to be next on the list.
Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

Re: BSA Hornet

Post by Yrrah »

Whitey wrote:Picked up a new Hornet .22 today from Lewis. Thanks again Lewis. This is one nice rifle. The stock is a great shape with a nice feel to the grip, the finish is excellent and the trigger is very nice. The screws on the rifle are hex heads which I like.

Later
Feed it 15.9 gr JSB Exacts Whitey, they are the best for this rifle. It should shoot a number of the other "best" pellets well too including Kodiaks but if other's experience and my own count for anything, JSB Exacts will shade the others in the long run and their high ballistic coefficient keeps them going at the longer ranges. JMO.. ... Kind regards, Harry
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Hi Harry,
How do Exact Express perform?I'm nearly out of Exact 5.52's.
Have you tried Exact 5.50's?
Lewis
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

Lewis Reinhold wrote:Hi Harry,
How do Exact Express perform?I'm nearly out of Exact 5.52's.
Have you tried Exact 5.50's?
Lewis
Exact Express 14.3 gr JSBs are equal to the 15.9 gr pellets for accuracy from my BSA Hornet.
The very first 100 yard group I shot with them in the Hornet was sub inch and this trip it shot a 0.35" at 60 yards. They do not have as high BC but nothing that one would shoot with an air rifle would know the difference to 75 yards and further. The wind will deflect them a tad more. They are a beautiful little pellet and the ones I have are absolutely perfect in their skirts.

I cannot tell the difference between 5.52, 5.51 and 5.50 normal JSB Exacts from either the Excalibre or the BSA Hornet .... They all shoot the same for me. Now I cannot generalize to other rifles as I don't have any ....... Kind regards, Harry.
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

That's very interesting Harry.The Express have not been a strong seller which is somewhat of a mystery to me.
I've always thought the Exact's shot the same regardless of head diameter in everything I've tried them in.It's nice to have you agree!
Thanks as always,
Lewis
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

Yrrah, is your hornet S/S or multi shot??

if multi- do you shoot your wonderfull long range groups from the mag or single loaded
same question about shooting the LR groups with the Excaliber- Single loaded or from the magazine?

later
P
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

ogre6br wrote:Yrrah, is your hornet S/S or multi shot??

if multi- do you shoot your wonderfull long range groups from the mag or single loaded
same question about shooting the LR groups with the Excaliber- Single loaded or from the magazine?

later
P
My Hornet is single shot and the Excalibre is of course a repeater..... I love the single shot Hornet and do not hanker after a repeater Hornet. Also having the Excalibre of course gives me the best of both worlds in hunting options.

When I am deadly serious with the Excalibre I single load it ..... BUT... with JSB Exacts I would have to say that I have yet to definitively prove it to shoot better when single loaded. I do cycle it gently and don't just slam the bolt home. It has shot many sub inch 100 yard groups when using the magazine. Perhaps the very best have been single loaded. ... Kind regards, Harry.
Whitey
.17 HMR

Post by Whitey »

Thanks Harry. I've been using F & T Trophys so far but will take your advice. I am a fan of the single shot also. Having said that, my HW100 is also very handy. The only plus for me for a multishot is when ratting where the action is fast and furious, and also in the dark. No fumbling for pellets and good quick shots. Other than that I don't think it is worth people getting too caught up in multishots. I think the BSA multishot is a fair bit more expensive also. The other thing is at the rifle range, they do not use mags and as a result I have been chipped about it. I explained it doesn't work any other way and got the OK. I guess it comes down to your preferance or use.

Later
Predator

Post by Predator »

Whitey wrote:Thanks Harry. I've been using F & T Trophys so far but will take your advice. I am a fan of the single shot also. Having said that, my HW100 is also very handy. The only plus for me for a multishot is when ratting where the action is fast and furious, and also in the dark. No fumbling for pellets and good quick shots. Other than that I don't think it is worth people getting too caught up in multishots. I think the BSA multishot is a fair bit more expensive also. The other thing is at the rifle range, they do not use mags and as a result I have been chipped about it. I explained it doesn't work any other way and got the OK. I guess it comes down to your preferance or use.

Later
Whitey, hows the Hornet compare to your HW100? When it comes to accuracy, feel and cocking. If you could choose one only, which would you keep?
Whitey
.17 HMR

Post by Whitey »

Oooh. I'd have to pick the HW100 I think. The reality is there is probably very little difference in accuracy, maybe there would be a distinction if you where into Yarah type long range shooting. The BSA feels very nice. The stock is a great shape, nice and short and has a very sporty feel to it. I expected the BSA to feel feather weight lite, but it feels really solid which I like for stability. I havn't had a chance to go ratting yet, but I think the single shot will be a little more hassle in the dark for loading, but only compared to the HW100's awsome mag set up which is reliable and quick. Being 14 shots, it is an easy way to count the kills. Just count how many mags you go through. I think the BSA wll be good for the rabbit warren stake out type shooting. The HW100 has the air guage which I like but on the other hand the BSA has a quickfill. If we could mate the HW100 with the Hornet then maybe we would have the perfect air rifle??? I think the HW100 would be the dog and the Hornet the biiaarch!! Need to try I guess and then buy what suits. Lewis might have to start putting on a few demo models!!!
Whitey
.17 HMR

Post by Whitey »

Took the Hornet ratting last night. Did a swap round of scopes and put a Simmons variable with the target turrets on it. Looks better and is better. Took it into the field. The rifle is very handy as it is not too heavey and fairly short. Nailed about 35 rats from distances of 3 metres to 25-30 metres. Accuracy is excellant which is no new news, but I think the gun feels so good it helps you shoot well. Power is similar to the HW100, with the pellets passing right through. The only problem I had was loading the gun in the dark. I found I had to put my torch under my chin so I could see to ensure the pellet was around the right way. I will remedy that with a small bendable LED light attached to my shirt. The rifle performed great. No problems getting 40 shots. Once I went to cock it and my finger slipped off the cocking plunger half way in. This seemed to let a part charge in and the rifle fired spitting the pellet out and into the side of a shed at what sounded like low velocity. The quick fill is just so easy. What were Weihrauch thinking when they made the HW100 without it.
Anyway, I am very happy with the Hornet. It's powerfull, accurate, reliable, looks great and is reasonably priced. I am looking forward to a few Tenterfield bunnies with it.