ANY YOU FOLKS A/R ONLY ?

HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

ANY YOU FOLKS A/R ONLY ?

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'DAY ALL
Have a question , thinking of going to A/R only , thinking of selling my rifles ,and using only A/Rs , any of you folks out there . only use A/Rs , and how do you find it ???
Also why do you enjoy A/R hunting only ?
I have come from a bow hunting back ground , and due to a injury, had to give up the bow hunting , and turn to rifles , but don't find it satifiying to knock so critter over at 100 metres !!
Till some fine gentleman sold me a R9 (THANK YOU LEWIS) ,and now i am infected , and seriously thinking of A/R only ??
thanks all
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

I'm only airgun .Don't know anything about powder guns.
You would not be alone Andree!
astro

Post by astro »

me too.....for now....wouldlike to get into pig shooting but am happy with the AR's around my property

cheers
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

A 22 lr and 12 guage and a really accurate powder burner (something like a 6.5x55) and then go for as many air rifles as you want.

Then you will have the lot covered- except maybe buff.

I admit if I had the $$ I would go shopping at Lewis' like a madman.

I'd love to have: a garage AG, a back yard AG, a small "teach the kids shooting" AG, a 14 FPE multishot PCP, a 24 FPE multishot PCP and a 40+ FPE gas ram- prolly a .25 cal.

If my tatts numbers came in Lewis would have a very good week that week.
If the Tatts numbers did come in I would build a 20 or 25M range under my house for AG shooting- then I'd prolly have to buy pellets by the pallet load.
So I understand the way you are thinking.
But
as I seem to be the unluckiest part irishman there is it's only a pipe dream.

Later
p
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

You are not alone on that one Ogre. I have started on my collection again after a long break from shooting. My line up so far is a CZ.22 Varminter,a very nice 12Ga Beretta 687u/o scattergun (have always like feather & Clay busting),and my renewed intense interest in air rifles. So far I have a very nice TX200.22,and a PCP will be the next in line, a gas ram definitely is in the picture and whatever else in an ag that catches my eye over time.
The bug has bitten deep again!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: ANY YOU FOLKS A/R ONLY ?

Post by kjd »

HAIR BEAR wrote:G'DAY ALL
Have a question , thinking of going to A/R only , thinking of selling my rifles ,and using only A/Rs , any of you folks out there . only use A/Rs , and how do you find it ???
Also why do you enjoy A/R hunting only ?
I have come from a bow hunting back ground , and due to a injury, had to give up the bow hunting , and turn to rifles , but don't find it satifiying to knock so critter over at 100 metres !!
Till some fine gentleman sold me a R9 (THANK YOU LEWIS) ,and now i am infected , and seriously thinking of A/R only ??
thanks all
Mate it is possible google Quakenbush and see what comes up for bigger critters. I'd love to get my hands on some of those puppies! They shoot deer and pigs and everything with them!! Extreme precision though!
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day all
well i have a brno.22lr , .204r and a .300wsm , but thinking of selling these and just buying air rifles , last couple of trips the powder burners , did not come out of the cases ????

G'day lewis
know i won't be alone , just would like to know if there is a down side ??so what type of A/R user are you , you more target , or hunter ?
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

I'm not much of a hunter any more or really a target shooter.I now like working on them more than anything else.
Hilly
.17 HMR

Post by Hilly »

What about some of these big-bore air rifles we read about in some of the US mags? I have no idea as to how practical these things may be but they would make air powered larger animal hunting possible if they worked.
Next thing you know, Lewis will say he has one for sale and that will be another toy I just HAVE to have! :)
Denis
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

yeah taught about that , but how would they go on samber , (reg's even state no cartridge to be less than 2 inch) not interested in pigs an goats ,side of hunting , but have been chasing the samber , but then again have not been to the high country this season, been hard to go with my 6 month old son taking my attenion :D
the .204r has not fired a shot at a live target for a good six months , mostly paper :(
so most of my hunting would invole from fox down , yes the .204 and the .22lr would work on these target well , but i can't see why a ,25 PCP would do the job at close range
chris thomas
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: na

Post by chris thomas »

I know what your talking about . My CF rifle's hardly see the light of day.I'm thinking about moving a couple as well.

CF Rifle's are tikka M55 .17 and .222. Tikka T3 6.5 x 55. Custom built 6mm BR.

Rimfires. Krico 340 S.22, Custom Brno .22, CZ .17 HMR

Air Rifles

R7 .177, R1 .20 commemorative, SLR .22 , HW100 .177 , MFR CS800 .20, Rapid .25, Cyclone .22 FWB P70 .177 and Excalibre .22.

All i seem to ever use is the CZ 17 and Cyclone .22.

CF's are fun but can be a pain. Loading,Cleaning places to use them noise etc and Expense.

The 6mm BR and Tikka .17 might be on the Market soon.

Regards

Chris Thomas
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

Chris any chance of the SLR 22 coming on the market??

If yes can I please have first dibs???

I have been bugging Lewis to get me one for 2 years now.......

Whats the specs on the custom 6 BR I might know a bloke whos interested?

thanks

later
p
chris thomas
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: na

Post by chris thomas »

Hi Pat.

I don't think i would ever sell my SLR.

The BR details are.

Rem 700, shilen sleeve, Shilen 2-8oz trigger, 20 MOA Rail, Thumbhole stock with tracking plates. Stock painted a two pak red. Mab 28 inch 1in 8 twist. Weaver 36 X scope and Burris rings.
Chris L
.22 WMR

Post by Chris L »

My only powder-burner is my 1931 Lithgow that I had when I was a kid.

However Lesley and I have discovered a local club that shoots .22 over 20m and 50m, so it looks like we will be looking for some second-hand match .22LR rifles soon.

Chris
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Hi Chris,
Rob Potter is my recommendation for 22LR and any other powder burners.
Lewis