Air rifle speed?

Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Air rifle speed?

Post by Knackers »

G'day fellas, I dont come down this end of the forum much, cause I'm mostly into CF target/hunting. But I do own a BSA Meteor in .22 cal, and was wondering if anyone knows what velocity theses rifles were rated at?
Also the forend screws in the side of the stock, one comes loose regulary and the other has been threaded and the rear screw under the trigger guard comes loose all to often, throwing accuracy to the crap house. Any hinds please.
Hilly
.17 HMR

Post by Hilly »

Arrrrr, young Lewis is the chap to answer these technical questions and he should be wandering in sooner or later. Some of us just can't stay away for long.
Dennis.
fenring

Post by fenring »

The Meteor was claimed to produce around 500 fps in .22 with average 14 grain pellets. That was what the factory claimed - what yours is actually doing is anyone's guess.

Blue Loctite might be worth considering for those screws - or just check them after each session.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

Thanks Fen. Heres another question, do serious air gunners bedd their rifles,or more to the point do/can air rifles benefit from bedding, and other tricks that CF's benefit from. I've seen many AR's that are worth more than very good CF's, and are wondering if the serious among you then do accurising work aswell? :wink:
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

A tuned Meteor .22 typically does 550 to 570FPS with Silver Bears which weigh 12.65 gns.
Fenring is right.Make sure the washers are under all those screws and put a little drop of Blue Loctite on clean and dgreased threads.
If they perpetually loosen,it is nearly the sign that all is not well inside eg breech seal,piston ring etc.It needs an overhaul by an airgunsmith.
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

PS It is an 'airarm' not a 'firearm'.Just about nothing is the same.
Forget the bedding idea!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Knackers,

Mate when it comes to PCP's they are mostly all extremely accurate! The match rifles are insanely accurate from the factory.

some guys size their pellets for more accuracy and thats about all they do really. Its a different would the airgun world and Matchgrade PCP's are the Bench rest rifles of the Airgun world and capable of equally as good accuracy.

Springs are another story I guess and one that I dont have the knowledge of how to accurise.

Lewis what is the worst shooting beeman springer you have seen? What is the best?
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

Thanks Lewis, I had a new spring and plunger? and rubber seal around the breach, fitted by a gunsmith about two years ago, and he said that it would be a frag qiucker than before. I should of asked if that is because the spring is stronger than the last or because the old one had become weak and the new spring would bring it back to its original factory rating?
He also suggested to store it cracked open to save the rubber from being compressed flat again.

Keith, thats the sort of answer that I was seeking.
I have too much time, money and effort tied up in CF shooting to travel the AR path.

BTW I have no plans what soever to bedd a Meteor, it gets used for rats, mice and sparrows around the sheds and chook yard.

After seeing ads for AR's that cost upwards of $2500, I wondered if the owner then had to/or if it makes a diff, to ie, bedd, recrown, torque stocks, work triggers, change stocks, ad vibration surpressors,etc? As you mentioned its a whole different world, and I was just curious.

If anyone else can ad to my questions please go for it. :wink:
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Unless your Meteor is one of the very first ones,it won't have a "plunger".The old ones ran with a leather piston seal.After that,all Meteors except the current GAMO hybrid,use a black O ring for the piston seal and a synthetic buffer between the piston and piston head.Both these items expire very quickly when they come in contact with any sort of mineral oil.Only proper airgun lubes should be used and this does not include a product on just about every gunshop's shelves called "Airgun Oil".Please do not use this stuff if you want your airgun to live!
You can leave the barrel open a bit but I wouldn't worry and never suggest it to customers.It's only a breech seal,They die anyway and are cheap and easy to replace.
Keep oil away from it and never dry fire it.
I once had am FWB Sport that some imbecile had 'bedded'.OMG!What a mess and what a job to get the action out.I nearly gave up.
Karve

Post by Karve »

Lewis Reinhold wrote:Only proper airgun lubes should be used and this does not include a product on just about every gunshop's shelves called "Airgun Oil".Please do not use this stuff if you want your airgun to live!
What is the name of a proper lubricant and how much will it cost me to get some posted down to sunny Vic? I was eying off the silicone "Airgun Oil" :? :? :?

Regards,

Karve. :D :D :D
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

A proper airgun lubricant should be applied at rebuild time when the airgun is apart.There is no magical elixir you can squirt into the chamber without causing damage.
Silicon oil is the worst possible metal to metal lubricant!! It will cause serious galling that cannot be removed.It is absolutely dreadful stuff that cannot be removed.
If the gun was properly lubricated,it should go for 5 years plus without attention.
Karve

Post by Karve »

Great to hear Lewis and once again, thank you for the advice. I am proud of my firearms and air-arms and try to take care of them as best I can. I will steer well clear of the airgun oil and leave things well alone :D

Regards,

Karve. :D :wink: :D
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Wise move Karve.Thanks for listening and taking my advice.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Knackers wrote:Thanks Lewis, I had a new spring and plunger? and rubber seal around the breach, fitted by a gunsmith about two years ago, and he said that it would be a frag qiucker than before. I should of asked if that is because the spring is stronger than the last or because the old one had become weak and the new spring would bring it back to its original factory rating?
He also suggested to store it cracked open to save the rubber from being compressed flat again.

Keith, thats the sort of answer that I was seeking.
I have too much time, money and effort tied up in CF shooting to travel the AR path.

BTW I have no plans what soever to bedd a Meteor, it gets used for rats, mice and sparrows around the sheds and chook yard.

After seeing ads for AR's that cost upwards of $2500, I wondered if the owner then had to/or if it makes a diff, to ie, bedd, recrown, torque stocks, work triggers, change stocks, ad vibration surpressors,etc? As you mentioned its a whole different world, and I was just curious.

If anyone else can ad to my questions please go for it. :wink:
Knackers,
When I get down your way mate I will gladly bring my PCP for you to have a play with. After that I will bet $10 that you will atleast be considering buying one!!!
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The price of consumables for Air rifles interests me :wink: