If you have a bit of time to kill try this

Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

If you have a bit of time to kill try this

Post by Yrrah »

I stirred uo the poms the last few days. Some months ago I was asked by Nigel Allen the Editor of a British magazine that sells here in some places Air Gunner..... if I would give them some information to write an article featuring Long Range air gunnery ...

With some trepidation I did and Nigel wrote the article. It has just come out in Sept edition Air Gunner and the poms went off their rockers. well some did.
I got into it a little late but if you wade through the first bit until I joined the fray and then follow as best you can, you may get some insight into the whole gammut from some rational stuff to insults. It's entertaining.

I would be interested to hear how you think one Aussie did against the British Isles combined team. Had some help from the USA but think I made some friends; and one dopey bloke who is the resident god know all started out with pommy niceness but ultimately resorted to abuse when he was called to put up. ...and well you judge the outcome.............. It's a saga but it does show how far the poms have progressed since we were kicked out...............

I made one little mistake but fixed it quickly .
..............Kind regards Harry. click on the URL below:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212565
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Thanks Harry

I just spent the better part of an hour and a half reading that thread. Pretty bloody interesting.

I stand in awe of your patience, knowledge and ability. I am also glad that there are none of the shit flinging muppets that you put up with on that site to be found here.

It would be good if the Theoben airrifle manufacturer could either come and see the work ypou are doing or could get you over to the UK to give a masterclass. You obviously respect his rifles (maybe respect for the man may take some time) and IMHO it would be of benifet to them to look at what you have been doing.

despite only having a passing intrest in air rifles i think i learnt a hell of a lot from reading that post.

thanks for bringing it to my attention

Cheers

Dr G
Hilly
.17 HMR

Post by Hilly »

Well Harry, you certainly kicked the top off that Bullant nest didn't you? :wink:
Keep up the good work stirring the Poms, it seems that they don't like to be beaten at cricket OR long range air rifle shooting. :D
I must admit that more than a few benchrest shooters would shake their heads over some of your achievements. After all, air rifles only shoot 10M, don't they???? :wink:
Dennis.
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Hi Harry,
PHEW!!!That was a long thread!I started reading but soon realised it was heading way off course.Where did 42FP and .25 calibre come from?
I was a bit surprised about Ben chiming in with such a vengeance.He and I had many conversations about you and your Crow Magnum III .20 and I had no doubt whatsoever that he was absolutely elated about his airgun doing so well Down Under.For those who don't know, "Ben" Taylor is the "Ben" in "Theoben".
You certainly ruffled a few feathers Harry.
Keep up the good work and don't let the detractors dissuade you.
I know being the wordsmith you are,you'll be able to handle yourself!!
Your mate,
Lewis
chris thomas
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: na

Post by chris thomas »

Hi Harry.

Well done getting your efforts and amazing skill published in the biggest Air Gun book in the world. The thread was a great read but it was very annoying when the knockers chimed in.

Great shooting Harry. Your Skill with a Air rifle is world class and only a select few could ever compete with

Regards

Chris Thomas
makrand
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by makrand »

As an ex-pom (if that's possible) I feel I have to say that the whole thread was chokka with support from poms with just two people not believing it.
And those people already had a rep on the forum for being idiots and were shot down by other poms and given a hard time for being rude.

So what is all this about a hornets nest?
No-one except the two doubters were in any way stirred up. It was just a normal interesting discussion between consenting adults.
There will always be one or two idiots in any discussion.

Some comments here look more like the famous Aussie shoulder chip.
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

[quote="makrand"]As an ex-pom (if that's possible) I feel I have to say that the whole thread was chokka with support from poms with just two people not believing it.
And those people already had a rep on the forum for being idiots and were shot down by other poms and given a hard time for being rude.

Yes, I did receive and am still receiving support and this I have acknowledged in a new post now at the top of the page in that forum.

I had never visited the forum before, from memory, and it was a bit of a shock to be immediately confronted by the resident troll who along with others, it turns out from private messages that started to flow in to me, have turned many well meaning shooters away. The younger enthusiastic ones soon fold under that treatment. It is a strategy that is as old as the hills....... There are some great shooters over there who have great rifles but somewhat limited opportunities.

However already today one of them has turned his talents to testing the water and shot not one but two one inch 100 yard groups from about twenty that he shot.... that's 1 in 10 and that is about the norm when things are going OK. Under best conditions my stats show 1 in 6.

Our Chris Thomas, another, Scott in Colorado and myself at least , have shot up to three in a row ......... Your UK compatriots will be reporting it often from now on I suspect as there are at least a significant number of them have FAC PCP rifles. My guess is it will not be too long before one of them does it with a sub 12 fpe rifle.... Thank you for chipping in with a sound observation. But when the fur was flying I had my hands full and that Aussie shoulder chip was growing to be more like a block of wood. :-)

Kind regards, Harry....
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

Lewis Reinhold wrote:Hi Harry,
PHEW!!!That was a long thread!I started reading but soon realized it was heading way off course.Where did 42FP and .25 calibre come from?
I was a bit surprised about Ben chiming in with such a vengeance.He and I had many conversations about you and your Crow Magnum III .20 and I had no doubt whatsoever that he was absolutely elated about his airgun doing so well Down Under.For those who don't know, "Ben" Taylor is the "Ben" in "Theoben".
You certainly ruffled a few feathers Harry.
Keep up the good work and don't let the detractors dissuade you.
I know being the wordsmith you are,you'll be able to handle yourself!!
Your mate,
Lewis
The 42 fpe and other errors were in the conflab before I entered the ring and continued to sidetrack things for some time. That's how it goes! Anyway Ben Taylor now knows who he is relating to now and things will settle there too. I'll keep you posted.

Lewis it is also surprising that Ben was not positive when the FX Excalibre was mentioned in the precision stakes...... Did you know that he is now the UK representative for FX rifles, Cyclones etc? Yep I've been told, by those who informed me of to whom I was having exchanges, that he has an association with FX and is putting his regulators into the FX ...... To be confirmed...... Possibilities??? ...... Kind regards and thanks for the pump :D , which arrived safely on Friday with the other little bits.. Ever grateful, Harry
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

chris thomas wrote:Hi Harry.

Well done getting your efforts and amazing skill published in the biggest Air Gun book in the world. The thread was a great read but it was very annoying when the knockers chimed in.

Great shooting Harry. Your Skill with a Air rifle is world class and only a select few could ever compete with

Regards

Chris Thomas
Thanks Chris, but I will never forget that you were the first anywhere to shoot sub inch and at 100 metres ... That was the milestone. .. Kind regards, Harry.
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

Thanks Dr G.

Already, today, a UK shooter has been out and shot MOA twice at 100 yd....... another chap in Scotland was sooo close. With all the good field shooters and equipment over there they will soon expand their horizons I feel.

Kind regards, Harry.
Chris L
.22 WMR

Post by Chris L »

14 pages!

Is that a record there?

Chris
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

Hi Harry

Re mind's a bit of when you first posted something similar on the Yellow Forum years ago and Dale had a go at you. Bit I think he was having some other issues as well at the time.

Wish I had your way with words.

daisy
Chris L
.22 WMR

Post by Chris L »

Wish I had his shooting skills :shock:

Mind you, I have competed with Chris T, and that is a humbling experience.....

Chris
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

Chris L wrote:Wish I had his shooting skills :shock:

Mind you, I have competed with Chris T, and that is a humbling experience.....

Chris
Ya those as well, but I have some understanding shooting, but little of writing.

daisy
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

Chris L wrote:14 pages!

Is that a record there?

Chris
7,300 odd hits in just a few days at the last count Chris .. I don't know if it's a record as I have never been there before but certainly topped the poll presently and is closing on some of the Stickies .... No matter, but some of the gurus have displayed their ignorance and now would you believe Steve NC has appeared to challenge Ben Taylor's maths :( Ben is in for a bad sad time if he doesn't own up very fast :P . Ben is about to find out how little his understanding really is of pellet flight behaviour too. This goes back to tables on the old Theoben flier page advertisement blurb the data of which his current argument is based upon. I just have to establish for sure that that data was collected by him with Terry Doe in warehouse. The latter has been implied but I just need it from the horses' mouth .... :twisted: .......

Hey, you are a real handful on that YF trash page...... you must have been taught by your Daddy not to let anyone up once you've gottem down. I might offer, as a compliment, that I learned a little from your simple strategy ... stick to logic and watch the confusion turn to chaos. 8)
I think we Aussies are a bit different sometimes.

Best wishes and kind regards, Harry
Last edited by Yrrah on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.