.177 OR .22 A/Rs WHAT CAL WOULD YOU CHOOSE ?

HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

.177 OR .22 A/Rs WHAT CAL WOULD YOU CHOOSE ?

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day All
how are you all going ? been reading and surfing the net , which has sort of got me confussed , iam thinking of buying a PCP , but still stuck on calibre selection , .177 fast , flat and pin point acurate ,loose power quick heaps of varity of pellets , price of pellets ,easy to get pellets
.22 slower , hard hitting , bit of the rainbow trajectory , not to bad selection of pellets ,
will be used for hunting out to say 50 metres

WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE AND WHY ????

THANKS FOLKS
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Hi HB,
I hate to burst your bubble but...there is not a huge variety of suitable pellets for high power 177 PCP's nor are they are they readily available.Any .177 PCP with more than 14FP ME eg FWB P70FT,Anschutz 2025 etc needs either Kodiaks 10.6 gns or JSB EXact Heavy 10.33.Nothing else will hold up.
In .22.the Exact 16gns shoots like a dream in most and pretty flat too.
PCP's are different to springers.
Lewis
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day Lewis
better to burst my bubble ,then me making the wrong choice :shock: which i would guess you won't let me :D just want something that would stay with in a inch an half (40mm) out to the 50 metre mark , i have the R9 sighted for 20 metres and notice it really drops off at 30 metres (50-70mm low) so i try to keep my shot to max 25 metres ,
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

PCP Sporters are much more powerful than your R9.They shoot as flat as a tack.
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

will they be flat to the 50 metre mark ? say could i hold dead on from say 10 metre to the 50 metre and still dust sparrows ? that flat or will need hold over /under at the range i am thinking of
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

HAIR BEAR wrote:will they be flat to the 50 metre mark ? say could i hold dead on from say 10 metre to the 50 metre and still dust sparrows ? that flat or will need hold over /under at the range i am thinking of
You would probably find that be the case mate or close to it! I know when I was shooting silhouette I could shoot Chickens out to turkeys with only 2 clicks adjustment or so with my Rapier! But in saying that even the turkey's are smaller then ya sparrows!

You will love a PCP mate but get one in 22 as a .177 one will not do a hunting PCP justice!
makrand
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by makrand »

10 meters to 50 flat.
No way mate.
To get it up to spot on at ten with a telescopic sight would have it climbing so fast it would probably be way high beyond 50m, if you get a powerful one anyway. My guesstimate would be if you get it spot on at 20m it would be within the kill zone most of the way to 50m. And not much below it at 10m.
At least that is my understanding. I'm amazed that kjd's rapier could do what he describes. I don't know the distances for the targets but would guess the closest must be further than ten meters away.

Totally agree with Lewis and kjd. Forget .177 in PCP. They are too powerful and any light pellet would go supersonic and therefore be very inaccurate.

How's the R9 going? It seems we have ended up with very similar power guns. Mine would be 1 inch low at 30m from dead on at 20m.
So much for that guy who said that it would be flat all the way out to 35m! Maybe with a .177 but not our .20's eh?
I'm still playing with mine to see where I'm going to end up sighting it in for minimum hold under/over from 20m to 50m.
What have you done?
pest bird

Post by pest bird »

GO the mighty 20 cal. It can not be beaten.

p b
:shock:
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day makrand
mate have not tryed mine past the 30 metre mark (on paper) i know its low would be closer to 2 inch at 30 with 20 metre zero ,

G'day pestbird
have not consider the .20 cal , even though i own one , thanks for that ,was think that my R9 would be good out to the 25 metre mark , and would like the PCP to work from the 20 - 50 metre area (flat ) i am not that good with range finding , so my hold over/under skill is not that good :oops:
some one also sugest not to get a PCP in a .20 ,as he found them notto good , but i should have asked if he was using it for hunting or target work , mate if it could get 1 to1.5 inch grouping(at 50 m) ,it would be good for hunting
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

makrand wrote:10 meters to 50 flat.
I'm amazed that kjd's rapier could do what he describes. I don't know the distances for the targets but would guess the closest must be further than ten meters away.
I disagree my Rapier 22 cal doing 930fps with JSB Exacts ballsitic table looks like this with a 40 yard zero:
POI (Inch):

Code: Select all

10yards  -0.435"
20 yards +0.194" 
30 yards +0.352"
40 yards 0.00"
50 yards -0.903"
55 yards  -1.575" 
If you were to have a 50 yard zero its highest point in the trajectory would be 0.902" which still lands it to have a max PBR of 58 yards so it wont rise or fall above or below the 1 inch kill zone until it is past 58 yards.
So as you can see whilst from 10 yards to 50 yards (yes im aware metres and yards are different) you have a quite flat trajectory considering it is an airgun!
So after looking at the data again with a 40yard zero you should be able to shoot a sparrow easily from 10-45m with just aiming for centre of mass!
makrand
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by makrand »

very impressive trajectory kjd.

I just tried my 97 at 80 m with a 30m zero just to see. The drop off at that distance was only about 30 cm, which I was quite impressed with.

Group not too shabby for a not really serious attempt either (about 10cm).

I like this rifle!