Summary of best groups to date and how group size may be

Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

Summary of best groups to date and how group size may be

Post by Yrrah »

Summary of best groups to date and how group size may be affected with increasing range under best possible conditions.

What precision is possible at long range with an air rifle .. How does group size degrade with increasind distance?

Below are the current best figures I have for c-t-c 5 shot groups at the indicated ranges. They have been shot with ( Edit ) RWS Excalibre at 50 yd, and BSA Hornet ( 100, 150, 183 yd ) using JSB Exact 0.22 cal 15.9 gr pellets, MV 870 fps ( Excalibre ) fps 26.7 fpe; MV 900 fps ( BSA Hornet ) 28.6 fpe :

Data to date ( Edit: upgraded March '08 ) for the best 5 shot groups at each range:
50 yards - 0.344 MOA ( 0.18 inch / 4.57 mm ) Edit: 0.286 MOA, ( 0.15 inch, 3.70 mm )
100 yards - 0.525 MOA ( 0.55 inch / 13.97 mm ) Edit: 0.429 MOA, ( 0.45 inch, 11.43 mm )
150 yards - 0.764 MOA ( 1.20 inches / 30.48 mm )
183 yards - 1.148 MOA ( 2.20 inches / 55.88 mm ) Edit: 0.756 MOA, ( 1.45 inch, 36.83 mm )

Graphs: Data points are those actually shot with the above mentioned rifles and pellets:

# 1. Minute of angle for C-T-C 5 shot groups versus range in yards. Sorry my programme won't insert a least squares interpolation line, but you may guess any MOA / range correlation by eyeballing. For example, what is the furthest range that a 5 shot group of 1 MOA may be shot? Find 1 MOA in the vertical axis and go across and down to the horizontal axis to intersect at predicted approximately 175 yards. ( 1 MOA is 0.5235" at 50 yd; 1.047" at 100 yd; 1.57" at 150 yd; 2.094" at 200 yd. )
Edit March '08 -- Note that the most recent benchmarks for 50, 100 and 183 yards have not yet been inserted in this graph.

# 2. C-T-C 5 shot groups in inches versus range in yards.
# 3. C-T-C 5 shot groups in millimeters versus range in yards.

Discussion:
The relevance is that it is a window into the possible extreme of probability for the small .22 cal PCPs and best matching pellets based on best groups to date with the above rifles.

It may also give some estimate as to the relative degrading of precision over the bracketed ranges. The question is often asked as to what a group of a certain size at say 50 yards may have expanded to at longer range, say at 100 yards. In the above actual best case scenario it may be that the answer in this case would be approximately 3 times as big ( 0.55 / 0.18 = 3.055 ).

When graphed, it may allow for comparison of best possible group size at any intermediate range. ( 1.0" at 140 yards in the example graph above ).

Wendy and I have recently returned from 2 1/2 months in the Top End fishing and the rest spent in the Red Centre. We drove the Strzelecki Track from Lyndhurst to Cameron Corner and came home via Tibooburra, Broken Hill, Bourke, The Warrumbungles and the farm at Kentucky South out of Uralla .... Great trip in the new VW T5 Diesel Kombi AWD campervan. Fuel consumption averaged 8 L /100 km or 12.5 km / L .

Hope some of you find this of interest and please feel free to comment and to ask questions..... Kind regards, Yrrah.
Last edited by Yrrah on Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Mate great write up! It is an absolute pleasure to read your posts mate they are so interesting!!!

Thanks again for posting Harry and I hope you had a great trip up the top end!!!
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

We caught some good Barra and

Post by Yrrah »

We caught some good Barra and saw some massive crocs. The bird life at the ebb of the wet was unbelievable. But I think I have lost my heart to The Centre... The silent nights, the night sky full of jewels and the desert and mountain ranges carried me away .... Can't wait until we can get out there again ....... Thanks Keith, keep that Rapier warm ...... Kind regards, Harry.......... That's his rifle you clowns!
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Great stuf as always Harry.
I have a mate who just bought a T5 Diesel.He's very happy too.
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Then you have

Post by Yrrah »

Then you have two mates with T5s Lewis!!!!!

Thanks for the 300 bar connection Lewis, all is working nicely. It was a marathon for sure.

Is there such a thing as an "O" ring kit for the FX pumps ( the ones I like to use for exercise :-) ). I would like to get the original back working as it is a pain changing adapters when using the two different rifles.

Thank you and Best wishes ...... Harry.
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

I sure do Harry!
Glad the adaptor is working fine.
I have ordered some kits and will send you one when I receive.
Best Regards,
Lewis
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Thank you Lewis. How glad I am that you are ten or so years

Post by Yrrah »

Thank you Lewis. How glad I am that you are twenty or so years younger than me :D ........ H.
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Thank you Harry.
I'm the big 50 next year so I'm catching up!
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

That's a fact ....... 30 years ago

Post by Yrrah »

That's a fact ....... 30 years ago you were just half my age. Now you are five sevenths! :roll: ....... 30 years from now when I am 100, you will be 8/10s. I wonder if I will still be using the old FX pump then, maybe not :(

Here's to 50 Lewis. Happy Birthday shortly............ Kind regards, Harry.
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Precisely correct as always Harry.
Three little kids keep me on the boil!
Predator

Post by Predator »

You're twice my age Lewis!

I wish more people my age got into air rifles down here. I've got a few mates that were all talk about getting their licenses but so far I'm the only one serious enough to go through with it...

Its funny cus another mate brought a few of his bangsticks to a 4x4 camping trip last year and the only thing that got used was his air rifle. Great fun with a cheap Gamo, open sights and a few cans :)

Got me hooked.

p.s. Great thread Yrrah
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day all
how are you all ? well i think i am betwwen Lewis's age and predator's age
Hey predator which side of melbounre are ya?
Predator

Post by Predator »

hey mate, south eastern suburbs, just a short drive from the ssaa range on princess highway... not many hunting properties round here :(