Hunting rabbits with an air rifle .

swiftden

Hunting rabbits with an air rifle .

Post by swiftden »

Hello I am new to this forum and have come seeking advice. I currently do not own an air rife. I wish to purchase one to take care of rabbits on my 2 acre block. I live on the outskirts of a town so the 22 rimfire is not a real safe option.

I am looking to buy an airrifle that will kill rabbits cleanly. I do not want to morgage to house to get one tho. What is a reasonably priced and accurate airifle that will do the job.

Regards
Allan
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Welcome Allan... You will probably find that Lewis will have something to do what you want and fit your budget. With air rifles though all shots tend to have to be head shots for rabbits so keep that in mind :D
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Hi Allan,
May I suggest a new Beeman R9 ? This is the bargain of all time in top quality sporters.It will nail rabbits at 40M with head shots.
The R9 is superb German hand crafted quality,has the world's best sporting trigger and is built to last forever.Price $695.
You'll never have to buy another airgun if you look after it.
Check out http://www.beeman.com.au
Lewis
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Lewis Reinhold wrote:Hi Allan,
May I suggest a new Beeman R9 ? This is the bargain of all time in top quality sporters.It will nail rabbits at 40M with head shots.
The R9 is superb German hand crafted quality,has the world's best sporting trigger and is built to last forever.Price $695.
You'll never have to buy another airgun if you look after it.
Check out http://www.beeman.com.au
Lewis
Lewis what else is out there a bit lower in budget? One of your new entry level models perhaps?
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

I have one GS1050 .177 left at $295.It's a great airgun for the money with Beeman backing.It will drive a Silver Bear at 1000FPS.
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

I found that a webly & scott that i use in .177 the pellets went straight through no problems, with not much damage done. Pellet choice is a must, the ones i use had a sharp point, that really help with penetration but not with expasion.

Have to agree with kjd, head shots are almost a must, other shot placement will tend to need a second shot or rabbits will run away.

I managed to drop a 3kg+ hare with my gamo cfx .177 with 1 shot at 30 odd meters.
swiftden

Post by swiftden »

Lewis
what is that air rifle like for killing rabbits? "GS1050 .177 left at $295.".
I only shoot for the head it is the only humane way to kill a rabbit. I got 14 the other night at friends property with my 22lr when we went spot lighting :D
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

If you hit them properly in the head,it will take them out to 30M or more.I suggest a roundhead pellet especially Beeman FTS or JSB Exact for long range accuracy and energy.
swiftden

Post by swiftden »

What other suggestions does every one have ?
plantboy

Post by plantboy »

G'day Allan, I use a .20 Beeman R9 and agree with everything said about them as far as nailing rabbits goes.

However, you could try .22 long Zs in your rimmie. I have nailed crows with Winchester and RWS Zs out to about 30 metres. The bullet is about 32gr and has a mv of about 850fps, which would have no trouble with a bunny if your rimfire is accurate with them. The noise is similar to an air rifle, but you still would not want the bullet leaving your property. Never had any ricochets, but then have not used them a lot either.

Maybe worth a try, because if you buy just one airgun you you will end up up addicted like the rest of us. :wink:
swiftden

Post by swiftden »

Plantboy i have a whole brick of 22 zeds for me 22lr . they work great but not where i want to use them . I cant afford to buy more than one thats why i am seeking advice :)
samthedog

Post by samthedog »

swiftden wrote:What other suggestions does every one have ?
Mate you probably won't like my suggestion but I'll tell you anyway...

You get what you pay for. I have shot rimmies and centrefires but with air rifles it's different. The power plant for a powder burner is the bullet, but an air rifle has that on board. Not only does the quality of the barrel count but so does the internals (spring, guide, seals etc...). In my opinion the gun has to do more work. If you only have a small place to shoot, then you will use the air rifle alot more than a rimmie and therefore I feel if you have the dough, do yourself a favour and buy an R9 or R1. I just bought a HW80 which is the European version of the R! and it is fantastic. Beautiful to shoot, loads of power and will outlast tax. I baulked at the price initially but Lewis reassured me and I am glad I bought it because it's a cracking rifle.

there, my rant is done...
swiftden

Post by swiftden »

Thanks for your advice . i am open to all suggestions after all that is how you learn :)
astro

Post by astro »

swiftden: any of the guns you get through lewis will be quality, i am going through the process myself just bought a r7 for my sons (and me :wink: ) but want something more adult. the r7 is very light and easy to shoot but i would not hunt bunnies with it, personally i am tossing up between the r9 and r1 but am in no hurry since i have to accumulate the funds first.

cheers
carl
ant

Post by ant »

I use my R9 with JSBs, a perfect combo for rabbits.

I'm still grinning :twisted:

Have seen Native Hunters R1 in action beautiful!!