HW97K 1st attempt

Predator

Re: HW97K 1st attempt

Post by Predator »

makrand wrote: I have read so much about artillery holds but this was shot with the rifle resting on a rice bag with me just holding the pistol grip to pull the trigger and butt light on shoulder.
0.16 group top left. Great rifle.
Couldn't be happier.
It's already keeping the critters off the veggie garden and absolutely murdering those cans.
I know Lewis has mentioned not to shoot them from a bench rest, so I also went and tried it (R9) off a bag.

In prone position, foregrip resting on my backpack, the accuracy/consistency is incredible. At 10 metres I'm getting 5 shot groups going into a single pellet hole... or badly missing the target, resulting in that single hole ;)

Trigger hand lightly working the trigger, left hand bent under the butt with fingers making precision adjustments at the bottom of the butt, stock barely touching the shoulder.

Give it a go! (if u haven't already)

Last edited by Predator on Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day makrand
how you going ? mate i am starting to like the jbs EXACTS , with my R9 seems to like the ram jets pellet , but only by a little bit ,nothing to make them special in hunting situtions , at the start it was quite a big differance between the two ,now i think it was more me settling in to the rifle , and not the pellet choice , keep trying the jbs, think you will be surprised , and they work well , will post pics when i get home of a cat i nailed , shot at a sleeping cat in the hay shed at 20 metres , and hit it right where i was aiming at , it did not even flinch ,just rolled over dead :D
Predator

Post by Predator »

sure it wasn't dead already? ;)
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day Predator
mate i was watching it for the last couple of days ,and seen it earlier slinking aroud the hay bales , and just seen it sleeping on the bales , i was not to sure myself that i killed it , till i picked it up ,still warm and limp , and that little leak in its head :D
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by Drew Jaeger »

HAIR BEAR wrote:G'day makrand
how you going ? mate i am starting to like the jbs EXACTS , with my R9 seems to like the ram jets pellet , but only by a little bit ,nothing to make them special in hunting situtions , at the start it was quite a big differance between the two ,now i think it was more me settling in to the rifle , and not the pellet choice , keep trying the jbs, think you will be surprised , and they work well , will post pics when i get home of a cat i nailed , shot at a sleeping cat in the hay shed at 20 metres , and hit it right where i was aiming at , it did not even flinch ,just rolled over dead :D
Good effort!!!
makrand
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by makrand »

HAIR BEAR wrote:G'day makrand
Nice work with the cat.
Now I'm up to speed I wish there were some around here.
I like the Exacts because I think they will make me a better shot. They group just as well as the FTS when I get it right, it is just so much easier with the FTS. The Exacts hit much harder too so if anything I am prepared to kill comes my way I will go with them. I can certainly get them in an inch at 30m so I think that is good enough for hunting.
I'm still not really started with the Ram Jets yet. I know they are quite loose in my bore. In fact everything except FTS and Exacts are a bit loose.
Do you have that?

I keep meaning to shoot some 12mm crossply to see if mine will shoot through. I was pretty impressed with that!

I have been messing with the Crow mags and Kodiak extra heavy today.
They seem to go really well up to 15 meters but start to spread at 20m. The Crows to a little more than an inch and the Kodiak to a little under.
I think I could do better with the Kodiaks.
I am curious how the time of day affects my shooting.
If I'm really on the ball I try to time my shots according to my pulse as i see the POA moving rhythmically with it.
But I do think that may be a little excessive! :?
Predator

Post by Predator »

HAIR BEAR wrote:G'day Predator
mate i was watching it for the last couple of days ,and seen it earlier slinking aroud the hay bales , and just seen it sleeping on the bales , i was not to sure myself that i killed it , till i picked it up ,still warm and limp , and that little leak in its head :D
Good shooting!

There is a cat round here that I only throw rocks and apples at to scare it off, I'm pretty sure its one of the neighbour's cats so I can't bring myself to popping its head...
makrand
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by makrand »

where do you live.

If the f***er is killing natives then your neighbours are being irresponsible.
Perhaps just taking out a leg would slow it down.

Can you tell how much I hate cats in Australia?

Update on crow mags and kodiak.

Tried again yesterday and found they group really well at 20m too!
This shooting lark is a mystery.

It probably depends on things like how much coffee I've drunk or how much wine the night before.

I'm guessing that variables need to be minimized to really test the pellets.