HW97K 1st attempt

RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

Howdy Woob,
You guys mention Mynah birds quite often,obviously they are in pest numbers from Vic to Queensland. How long have they been around? I have never seen a bird like it in South Oz. I assume they like the more northern type of climate. They are quite distinct in their colors etc but no sign of them
down here yet.
Interesting!
Ray.
makrand
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by makrand »

Hey Woob,

if you can find a way to make it legal I would highly recommend the HW97K from Lewis. They are really quiet (especially if the pellet is hitting something soft :wink:). Or he has a second hand .22 HW77 which sounds like a really nice rifle and is really good value.
They are a bit heavy but if you aren't going to be carrying it around too much not a problem.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

RayG wrote:Howdy Woob,
You guys mention Mynah birds quite often,obviously they are in pest numbers from Vic to Queensland. How long have they been around? I have never seen a bird like it in South Oz. I assume they like the more northern type of climate. They are quite distinct in their colors etc but no sign of them
down here yet.
Interesting!
Ray.
G'day RayG

dont mean to cut Woob's lunch but...

The common mynah has been rarely reported appearing in Adelaide though not in any great numbers. They are superficially similar to Noisy Miners (native species hence different spelling) but belong to a different genus. Thy have black to dark brown heads with yellow bill and eye patches, sortof a chocolate brown body and white lower belly and outer wing patches. Thy can be pretty noisy and are mainly concentrated around Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and from Rockhampton to Cairns

they are introduced species and very detremental to local urban dwelling birds. This is because they are typically aggressive bastards that will harry and stress out other birds, even bigger ones.

East coast citys would be better places if they were controlled (along with pigeons, starlings and sparrows).

This species would do well in Adelaide and its just a matter of time before they colonise there
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Again Dr G I am glad you are a member here your posts are insightful and I think I learn something new every time you do post!

Indian Mynah's are bastards and I love to shoot the little buggers as the damage they do to native birds is huge and they are ugly! They are smart though you cannot use shooting as a main method of control. However you can keep them off your property by shooting them! I find after a couple of days shooting a couple each day they soon learn that your property is a dangerous one and wont return for months!

As an interesting tidbit in the States and UK they are available as pets and can actually speak very well.
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Post by RayG »

Howdy Dr.G.
Yes mate I am very familiar with our local species of miners they can be right little twerps. The little SOB,s have even killed my neighbours cage birds through the wire netting on her long flight aviary. So I don,t think we need another pest bird here either.Although there is an air driven way of sorting them. :roll: :wink: :wink:
Cheers Ray.
Chris L
.22 WMR

Post by Chris L »

I come from Melbourne, so remember Indian mynahs very well.

The local noisy miners are quite different - I even find them quite amusing.

Chris
pest bird

Post by pest bird »

Chris, do you mean, quite amusing with lead in them?

p b
fenring

Post by fenring »

kjd wrote:As an interesting tidbit in the States and UK they are available as pets and can actually speak very well.
Well enough to say "Don't shoot!" ?? :lol:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

fenring wrote:
kjd wrote:As an interesting tidbit in the States and UK they are available as pets and can actually speak very well.
Well enough to say "Don't shoot!" ?? :lol:
Not In Australia!!!
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

I remember one of those dodgy "Carry on" movies where the mynah used to shout show us yer knickers.

I think the Mynah in Cheech and Chongs up in smoke was used to do the "daves not home" gag as well.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

I also love my Beeman HW97K in .177 ... though the sparrows, starlings and Mynas don't appreciate it much. My only slight regret is not getting a 20cal. I don't personally believe they (or the HW77) have the horsepower for a 22cal pellet ... they're a laser beam in .177 ... but a 20cal would have also been so sweet!!
Indian Myna's ... the Sambar deer of the airgun world ... smart, alert, learn fast and so much fun to hunt.
Cheers...
Con
makrand
.17 HMR

Post by makrand »

It's certainly fantastic in .20, but I wouldn't regret the .177. I don't think it makes such a huge difference and you can buy some pretty heavy pellets in .177 can't you?
If you have the same weight in .177 or.20 it isn't going to make much of a difference for hitting power surely?

I have shot a tin of Beeman FTS and they are fantastic. Now I'm on the JSB exacts and they are much harder to shoot with but group just as well when I get it right. They are tighter in the barrel and shoot a couple of inches lower.
I have to use a proper artillery hold whereas with the FTS I could just lie the stock on the bag filled with rice that I use.

At the moment I think I will eventually end up just shooting FTS.
Tried some crow magnums @ 30m and they were awful. A 2 inch group.
pest bird

Post by pest bird »

Try the Crow Mag's at 10 meters.
I use them for close pest work and thay work well.
I have never depended on them for long shots, the wind will take them off the target as oposed to the FTS's, you will still get a hit with a side wind.

p b
:shock:
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by Drew Jaeger »

pest bird wrote:Try the Crow Mag's at 10 meters.
I use them for close pest work and thay work well.
I have never depended on them for long shots, the wind will take them off the target as oposed to the FTS's, you will still get a hit with a side wind.
The Crow Magnums certainly punch nice holes through Urban Raiders, but drop off fast after 20m. I love the FTS – they’re lethal to 50m!!!

Recovered pellets from wet newsprint; RWS, Crow Mag and FTS
makrand
.17 HMR

Post by makrand »

Thanks for that Drew and Pest Bird.

I will try the crow m's at shorter ranges. They certainly look like good killers.

I agree that FTS seem to be the best pellet out there, at least for my HW97K. A good fit but not too tight which I think the Exacts are. I have only tried one tin of Exacts so perhaps another might be better. I have six more tins so I hope so!

Do you guys find them tight?