HEY WHERE IS EVERY ONE ?

HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day all
these supressors , the same as the ones on .22lr with the washers ...ect ? or more to the point they are basicaly silencers if i am not mistaken ?

G'day astro
how is that hk97 going mate ?
makrand
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by makrand »

What is the argument against suppressors?
Does anyone know?
Is there one?
Hair Bear... hope you are still enjoying the R9. Lewis has really taken care of me for passing "mine" on.
Not long now.
Predator

Post by Predator »

HAIR BEAR wrote:G'day all
these supressors , the same as the ones on .22lr with the washers ...ect ? or more to the point they are basicaly silencers if i am not mistaken ?

G'day astro
silencer
Hilly
.17 HMR

Post by Hilly »

Like most things that are frowned upon by the firearms registry sound moderators, silencers, whatever you want to call them are a no-no. But, like all things the law is slightly flexible. If you have a good enough reason, and don't ask me what that would be 'çause I don't really know, you may be able to obtain a "Commisioner's Permit" to posess and use such a device. One possible reason may be the control of vermin and /or Vertibrate pests......
You never know until you ask.
Dennis.
astro

Post by astro »

HAIR BEAR wrote:G'day astro
g'day HB

very well thanks, will have to locktite the trigger guard screws since they come loose every 250 shots or so, no big deal. however the last time they came loose and were retightened the POI shifted dramatically usually it was only a couple of cms this time it was about 15 cm....

overall it is a great gun, shoots nice and smooth and now after some practice i am getting 5cm groups at 65 metres

how is the r9?

cheers
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day astro
good to hear you are still having a ball with your HW97 :D
strange how the trigger guard screw can change the point of impact that much ???
mate the R9 is just a joy to shoot :D it has claimed alot of sparrows right now , and just setting up a speaker on a 10 metre cable to starttrying this indian mynah call out :D
Gavin NZ

Post by Gavin NZ »

Hilly wrote:Like most things that are frowned upon by the firearms registry sound moderators, silencers, whatever you want to call them are a no-no. But, like all things the law is slightly flexible. If you have a good enough reason, and don't ask me what that would be 'çause I don't really know, you may be able to obtain a "Commisioner's Permit" to posess and use such a device. One possible reason may be the control of vermin and /or Vertibrate pests......
Dennis.
thats really interesting!

Here in NZ its almost the otherway around, we have our fair share of polititions that would happily ban guns for sure..... but suppressors haven't (yet) become a target and infact are becomming more and more popular as many companies take full advantage of the "save your hearing" angle as they manufacture and market their units.
the idea if "whisper"cartridges (silenced and subsonic 308s etc) get often promoted also on and off.

Actually I spent today working out a subsonic load for my ruger 96 lever action .44 rem mag that i have just had a supressor fitted to and its fantastic! - 7.6gns of ADI AP70N pushing a 300gn hornady slug @ 1024fps,..... quiet as a .22 subsonic round yet will drill straight thru 6inches of marcrocarpa timber with virtually nil recoil.

Shot three possums with it as soon as it got dark tonight (they are not protected here) and man did it add a new dimension to "spotlighting"!! hehe

Will primarily be used on goats though and perhaps the odd poached deer.

if any of you guys want a decent supressors (or what ever you guys call them to keep your polys happy) just let me know, theres quite a few really good manufactures here and I'm glad to either put you in contact and do any sending required for you.
makrand
.17 HMR

Post by makrand »

Hilly wrote:you may be able to obtain a "Commisioner's Permit" to posess and use such a device. One possible reason may be the control of vermin and /or Vertibrate pests......
Dennis.
I will phone next week and let you know what they say.
Hilly
.17 HMR

Post by Hilly »

Like all things, Makka, you may well have to be persistant about this. You will need to speak to someone that knows what they are talking about and this may, or may not, be the person that you first speak to. The staff situation at Lismore is not good and the turn-over is high. Some of the people you will talk to are little more than data entry operators who are filling in for someone that has called in sick. You need to be patient and understanding, some of these people get some really wierd and agro calls and they have to put up with abuse that you and I would not tolerate for more than about 10 seconds!
Be calm, be polite, be understanding and be persistant. Ask to speak with a supervisor or someone in the "Dealers Section" if you think you are getting the wrong answers.
Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.
Dennis.
makrand
.17 HMR

Post by makrand »

thanks for that Hilly,
I will give it a go.
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

G'day
Hilly- whats this place you speak of in lismore.
Regards
Damien Webb.
Hilly
.17 HMR

Post by Hilly »

Damien,
NSW Police Firearms Registry,
Locked Bag 1,
Lismore.

That's where it all happens.
Dennis.
ant