*Newbie* need some help

Goretex

*Newbie* need some help

Post by Goretex »

Hey all,

I want to perchase an air rifle and get in to hunting (Feral rabbits etc) and need some help.

1) How do I go about getting my firearms license and how long does it take to arrive and become active?

2)What do I need to produce to be granted a firearms license (Only want 1 or 2 Air rifles for now)

3)What are the laws regarding shooting locations?

4)What is a good first air rifle? Im not looking to spend too much money on my first

All comments and suggestions appreciated
astro

Post by astro »

google search nsw gun licences and you will find what you need, i don't know about nsw but in qld it took me a long time before i received my licence. i think it is more expense in nsw for a licence as well.

good luck but be prepared for a long drawn out process

cheers
ant

Post by ant »

Do yourself a favour and ring Lewis at Beeman. Why waste time looking around. :twisted:
Detritus
.22 WMR

First things first...

Post by Detritus »

Well,
that would waste both their time at this point :lol: Lewis cant help him out till he has jumped through all the licencing hoops... Goretex, take Astro's advice and google NSW Gun Licence etc or ring your Firearms Branch for your state (should be in the phone book somewhere). All you can do is put ur application in then hurry up and wait! :wink:
Last edited by Detritus on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Re: First things first...

Post by RayG »

Detritus wrote:Well,
that would waste both their time at this point :lol: Lewis cant help him out till he has jumped through all the licencing hoops... Goretex, take Astro's advice and google NSW Gun Licence etc or ring tour Firearms Branch for your state (should be in the phone book somewhere). All you can do is put ur application in then hurry up and wait! :wink:
Oh Yeah,and wait and wait! I put in my application for license renewal on 21st Nov last year,I received my "you are not a terrorist" letter from police fire arms sect. on Feb 3, 07,on Feb 25th I did required TAFE Firearms Safety Course. Since then because I put "purpose of use 1", "Club use",on my application,I then had to do a further 2 tests at the SSAA club to which I belong,1 test being for club Range safety/Gun handling etc,and another police 30 question test.This test must be done when you join a club under police regulations pertaining to gun clubs. Now I must wait on the club secretary to send me my PD314 certificate that I must send to Police Firearms section to complete my application for the license.
And Hurry up and WAIT!!! I will definitely enjoy shooting with my own Irons when I finally get them. PATIENCE COMES HARD AT TIMES, SO HANG IN THERE GORETEX. :roll: :roll: :roll:
fenring

Post by fenring »

So, for those in NSW, what's involved in becoming licensed in NSW - someone help the lad out.
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

G"Day All
When I obtained my licence I had to do a safety awareness course ,which was a written test that was basically commonsense, nowadays they tell me it has a hands on component as well, you have to be able to identify a type of rifle and know its basic function & characteristics.,-IE lever action ,bolt action, shotgun.
Once you get this certificate you must then post it with a application that you have previously obtained from the firearms registry, you must also include any other relevent documents that are pertaining to your application-IE letter from property holder stating types of vermin on property.
Membership from a rifle club ,if you wish to target shoot as well, Maybe a copy of your R-licence & SSAA membership.
These all go to making the process a bit quicker.
Most of all you have to have a clean criminal record as the police will check this as it is one of the questions on your application.
Send all that off and hopefully you will see something in 6-8 weeks ,then take this paperwork to the RTA and get a photo licence- all done .
Then put your PTA in and wait another 6-8 weeks.Or you can put it in with your licence application.
If you go the property way and also target shoot at a club it will allow you to be able to have a genuine reason for multiple calibres for target distance and different size game.
I think thats about it.
Regards
Damien Webb
ant

Post by ant »

You need to ring firearms registry on 1300362562. Speak to one of the clerks and give the reason for your application be it target or vermin control as being a genuine reason. You need to know what type of firearm category you want. A= rimfire, air rifle & shotgun. B= centre fire. H= pistol. You also need to either join a target club or have a letter supporting your application from the club or a land owner for vermin control.
Once you have your application you need to participate in a firearms safety awareness course either provided by your club or an official accredited with the firearms safety awarness council. Costs around $100.00.
Upon successful completion, forward all of your paperwork to the firearms registry. (Safety traing, membership or permission from a land owner & firearms registry forms.)
After the mandatory 28 day cooing period you will be sent a form to take to the RTA for your photo licence unless for some reason it has not been granted.
Once you have that you can apply for a permit to acquire.
You will need a firearms dealer for Lewis or any out of state dealer to send your firearm to.
Realistically you are looking 4+ months away perhaps more. Some times there are delays processing your paperwork.Make sure you complete all forms, if possible have someone check them.
Hope this helps
Goretex

Post by Goretex »

Thanks for all the replies,

I am only looking at target shooting at the moment as I don't know anyone with a rural property.

My forms arrived today so Im going to look them over and give the registry another call to make a few more inquiries so I don't have any delays

Cheers
Adam