Pellet choice for Gamo CFX?

curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Pellet choice for Gamo CFX?

Post by curan »

A friend has a Gamo CFX in .177. He wants to use it for small birds amongst his fruit trees, sheds, etc, and the occasional rat, etc.

He told me he has tried a couple of different types of pellets, but they haven't been very accurate. He mentioned that one of these types were raptors, but they were not good.

I am going to give him some of the JSB Exacts (extra heavy) that Lewis kindly supplied me. Hopefully these are what he needs. I am assuming that the velocity of a lightweight pellet is what is throwing his accuracy over the 15 to 20m that he is shooting.

Does anyone out there shoot a .177 CFX? If so, what pellets work well for accuracy and knocking over small birds and rodents? :hunting:

thanks, curan.
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Re: Pellet choice for Gamo CFX?

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

curan wrote:A friend has a Gamo CFX in .177. He wants to use it for small birds amongst his fruit trees, sheds, etc, and the occasional rat, etc.

He told me he has tried a couple of different types of pellets, but they haven't been very accurate. He mentioned that one of these types were raptors, but they were not good.

I am going to give him some of the JSB Exacts (extra heavy) that Lewis kindly supplied me. Hopefully these are what he needs. I am assuming that the velocity of a lightweight pellet is what is throwing his accuracy over the 15 to 20m that he is shooting.

Does anyone out there shoot a .177 CFX? If so, what pellets work well for accuracy and knocking over small birds and rodents? :hunting:

thanks, curan.
He could try the Exact Heavy but I don't think the CFX has enough airflow to work them.I suggest Beeman FTS or maybe normal Exacts would be better and less load on the spring.
If it doesn't group with these pellets,look at the scope,mounts and technique.
Regards,
Lewis
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

Thanks Lewis.

Incidentally, he mentioned a "sabot" round he used to used. Metal core with plastic sabot. Are these still available, or were they a passing gimmick?
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

curan wrote:Thanks Lewis.

Incidentally, he mentioned a "sabot" round he used to used. Metal core with plastic sabot. Are these still available, or were they a passing gimmick?
I've heard of them,curan but I recommend sticking to quality lead pellets.His barrel will need a very good and careful cleaning no doubt.
ATN

Post by ATN »

Iv got a .177 gamo shadow 1000 and i have tryed so many, but the one that stands out from them all are the gamo pro mags i shoot birds and rabbits with them, there got good accuracy and good penetration, that would be my choice there about $7 for a pack of 500
fenring

Post by fenring »

Sounds like your mate has been using a a few of the gimmicky pellets - as Lewis said good quality ordinary lead pellets will do the job perfectly.

Good round head pellets are the way to go. Avoid pointed pellets in the .177 as you can "icepick" small birds with them - the pellet zips right through without transmitting much energy, thus the bird flies off apparently unharmed, only to drop out of the sky some time later... :lol:

Average weight pellets are best IMO - the extremes of weight (extra heavy or super light) don't achieve anything in springers and can do more harm than good. In .177 that means around 8 grains or thereabouts.

Best brands are Beeman, JSB and RWS.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

Tell you mate to go shopping at Lewis's

$25 spent with Lewis (plus freight) will give him what he needs

later
P
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

I use the pro magnums in my cfx, use them coz they go into the chamber easier than the EXP pointy things, that get caught up and are hard to get in the right way. The smooth gamo pro magnums just slide in. Taken a big hare and plenty of pest bird with them, test them on a dead goat from point blank and it didn't get through the hair, yet will pass through a rabbit with easy.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

Thanks for the replies fellas,

I've sent old mate a selection of 4 different pellets of a variety of shapes and sizes. From what I've provided, he should have a fair starting point. And I'll pass on the comment about the pro magnums ( thanks cam_mackps2)

regards, curan
fenring

Post by fenring »

cam_mackps2 wrote:I use the pro magnums in my cfx, use them coz they go into the chamber easier than the EXP pointy things, that get caught up and are hard to get in the right way. The smooth gamo pro magnums just slide in. Taken a big hare and plenty of pest bird with them, test them on a dead goat from point blank and it didn't get through the hair, yet will pass through a rabbit with easy.
The EXP's are as rough as guts - not even a half decent pellet at all. Skirts all crooked, points bent, etc etc.