Baikal IZH 61

Predator

Baikal IZH 61

Post by Predator »

I've been looking at various air rifles on the internet to use as a cheap short range plinker and came across the Baikal IZH 61.

Its a low budget springer with 5 shot magazine, side cocking lever and adjustable stock and trigger... according to some reviews, its meant to be quite precise (accurate) too.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have had the chance to use one and confirm the accuracy?

cheers
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

What are they worth Predator?
Predator

Post by Predator »

$350 new, at vic city arms

They won't have any in stock for another month so I'm gonna take the time to do some research and get a PTA.

Either way, I'll get one and give it a thorough testing!
astro

Post by astro »

predator: heres a review i found

http://my.tbaytel.net/~coopers@tbaytel. ... IZHReview/

and heres a few more

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews1868.html

might look at one for my son, looks fun

cheers
Chris L
.22 WMR

Post by Chris L »

My wife and I owned one each when we lived in the States, and used them for paper-punching in the cellar.

They cost us less than $100 each, and were a lot of fun, and quite accurate.

The length of draw is too short for an adult, which was one reason that we eventually sold them.

IIRC, we could not import them as they did not have safety-catches, so they must have changed the design if they are now allowed to be imported.

They are very low powered, so are only good for paper-punching.

HTH - Chris
Predator

Post by Predator »

Excellent work guys!

Chris, do you think it would be possible to jury rig some sort of extension to the stock or is it all too flimsy? hmm.. maybe even just add a big fat butt pad...
Chris L
.22 WMR

Post by Chris L »

I tried the butt pad, but it rocked too much :(

An R7 sounds indicated :D

Chris
Predator

Post by Predator »

Another question Chris:

Was it the old model with a steel breech and front sight or the new one which uses more plastic?

I can't find much comparison info between the 2 versions... altho I suppose it doesn't matter as the old models aren't available here...
Chris L
.22 WMR

Post by Chris L »

Greg,

I sold it 7 years ago, so don't recall.

I discussed it with my wife (she claimed it the first time she fired it, as she has now claimed my FWB124!), and she also recalls that it had no safety, which is why we did not bring it in with us.

It was fun for punching paper in the basement (as long as you kept count of your shots and did not dry-fire it!), but pellets just bounced off squirrels.

Chris
ChrisPer

Post by ChrisPer »

'Cheap short range plinker'...

I have a Gamo Expo Model 26. It was $250 five or six years ago, and I chose it because my kids were small, and it had a plastic barrel shroud that greatly reduced the forward weight compared with other ordinary break barrel types. The butt is not too small, and its fine for garage shooting and tin cans to 10-15 m. I added a Beeman peep sight and that was a big help in accuracy.

But I want something better and will get an R9 - for me - when I can. The kids are bigger now too, and have each bagged their first rabbit with a .22LR so they will be able to use it.

But I like that Russki's 'black rifle' futuristic look.
Predator

Post by Predator »

I must admit, the black look and 5 shot mag are the 2 main reasons I'm going with this thing over the small Gamos or R7. Already have an R9 and saving for the hw100 so this black Russian should fill the lower end gap nicely :)
Predator

Post by Predator »

Finally went into the shop and put down a deposit for one of these while I wait for the PTA to get sorted :)

Pictures don't do it any justice, it looks cool and its TINY! Very light too. But I haven't shot it yet, so I'll get back to you guys when its in my hands and done a few tests...

Now all I need is for Lewis to find some spring upgrades for these things cus I tihnk they only do about 400fps ;)