BSA Meteor Scope Mounting

trapper
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: BSA Meteor Scope Mounting

Post by trapper »

fenring wrote: The arrestor stud is very important on a gun like the Meteor with those short and shallow grooves. It appears to have a hole for one but maybe it's not in the right spot for most generic mounts?
Correct. The hole is too far aft to be useful. I think the hole is actually for screwing the rear iron sight to. I guess I could always drill a new hole in the correct spot? As long as the hole is aft of the piston head when the gun is cocked it shouldn't matter.
JWD
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .177

Post by JWD »

You could also silver solder a very small bead onto the cylinder top to act as an arrestor stud. Since youre going to reblue the cylinder, the finish will end up uniform
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

I have finished my restoration of the Meteor. Will post pics later. After much research I reckon this is the scope mount I need:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SPORTSMATCH- ... XQL99SclBL

It is one piece, fits 11mm dovetails and has barrel droop compensation. $75 delivered to Oz. The only thing stopping me buying it is that it's 120mm long. The Meteor dovetail is only 105mm long. Sportsmatch don't seem to make a 100mm long one piece mount.

I think I can make this one fit by milling 15mm off the dovetail on the mount. Before I commit, can anyone see a problem with my plan?
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

I found a USA made mount that is 4" long. More expensive though. $115 delivered. Sheesh!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371503844568 ... EBIDX%3AIT
flmath
Favourite Cartridge: 22 hornet

Post by flmath »

Had a BSA Meteor fitted with two piece Sportsmatch mounts for many a year. Never had a problem with movement. I think the mounts you had were just poor quality.

NIOA Australia are the importers of Sportsmatch mounts ask them for a local dealer name.
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Post by dashooter »

flmath wrote:Had a BSA Meteor fitted with two piece Sportsmatch mounts for many a year. Never had a problem with movement. I think the mounts you had were just poor quality.

NIOA Australia are the importers of Sportsmatch mounts ask them for a local dealer name.
Just call ACME firearms. Klaus will sort you out.
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

You're right, the mounts I had were poor quality. That said, I think you may have been lucky. I've read posts on other forums from people who were never able to keep their 2 piece mounts secure on a springer.

BSA recommend 1 piece mounts on the Meteor. The sports match aren't cheap and I'm loathe to buy a 2 piece mount and have it come loose.

But I may have to use 2 piece so it's good to know of your experience.

Cheers.
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

dashooter wrote: Just call ACME firearms. Klaus will sort you out.
Thanks ACME are only 15 minutes from me. I'll give him a call.