Home made pellet trap designs please- quiet as possible

mitch

Re: Home made pellet trap designs please- quiet as possible

Post by mitch »

here are some pics of mine sorry for the crappy paint pic but it was the best i could do with out using cad key or one of those sort of programs that would show u a side view of it
Mitch :rifle:
Attachments
Picture 025.jpg
Picture 021.jpg
Picture 019.jpg
flmath
Favourite Cartridge: 22 hornet

Post by flmath »

I have a steel pellet trap. I am trying to stop the clanging and ricochets that happen at times. I have read about people using plumbers putty to line the rear of the trap to catch the pellets.

Easily available overseas but in in Oz. Went to Bunnings and have tried on line search to no avail. Anyone got Any ideas where to get this stuff. It stays flexiable to catch the pellets.
trapper
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by trapper »

A few years ago I tried to get plumber's putty without success. After a bit of research I decided lead would be a good substitute. On my todo list is to cast a 1" thick lead backplate in a 8" cake tin. I priced lead ingots at the time. Can't remember the price, but I recall it wasn't too expensive.
flmath

Post by flmath »

trapper wrote:A few years ago I tried to get plumber's putty without success. After a bit of research I decided lead would be a good substitute. On my todo list is to cast a 1" thick lead backplate in a 8" cake tin. I priced lead ingots at the time. Can't remember the price, but I recall it wasn't too expensive.
I have plenty of lead available. I might have a go at that, good idea.

daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

I used this one for years. I got leftover off cuts of new carpet from the local shop. Put as many layers in as you like and compress it as hard as you need to stop your pellets.
It always stopped pellets from my RWS Excalibur and Rapid M2 both in 22 cal.

stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I have the same as daisys made 2 now and i put a flat strip carpet over the back to catch any that might get through the layers. I have coreflute plastic over the front to pin target too. The sound of the pellet on the plastic is about the loudest part of each firing so on my second I have cut some out of the coreflute. Next is to add some side mounts to shoot swingers in front of the stop.
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

The carpet trap looks good. A couple of questions though:

How many FPE are your airguns?
How long does the carpet last before it needs replacing?

My 25cal 40ft.lb Rapid shreds phone books very quickly. I suspect it would make mince meat of the carpet too.
mattw975
.17 HMR

Post by mattw975 »

I use a lead back stop made from waste pellets, very quiet indeed :)
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

trapper wrote:The carpet trap looks good. A couple of questions though:

How many FPE are your airguns?
How long does the carpet last before it needs replacing?

My 25cal 40ft.lb Rapid shreds phone books very quickly. I suspect it would make mince meat of the carpet too.
I haven't tested my 22s in a while but they would be in the 28 to 30 range . I think you would get a fair run out of the carpet. Depends on the distance you want to shoot and if you are always shooting in the middle. You can rearrange the carpet layers .
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I have used min on sub 12 and about 13fpe tested it literally point blank and all good. Putting 2 layers of carpet over the back as a back stop pulls them up.

Ryan
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Phone books, assuming they still exist.
Youngy

Post by Youngy »

I know a guy that has packed a bucket with shredded rubber mulch and taped some dense foam on the top to hold it all in place. The bucket is the turned on its side and paper targets are then pinned to the foam. (The foam / tape needs to be replaced every so often.)

Benefits:-
- EXTREMELY QUIET
- No issue with "drilling" effect of pellets as the shredded rubber "self heals" (if that makes sense......it falls back onto itself).
- If you are keen, you can empty the contents on the floor, recover the lead, and repack the rubber and off you go again.
flmath

Post by flmath »

Youngy wrote:I know a guy that has packed a bucket with shredded rubber mulch and taped some dense foam on the top to hold it all in place. The bucket is the turned on its side and paper targets are then pinned to the foam. (The foam / tape needs to be replaced every so often.)

Benefits:-
- EXTREMELY QUIET
- No issue with "drilling" effect of pellets as the shredded rubber "self heals" (if that makes sense......it falls back onto itself).
- If you are keen, you can empty the contents on the floor, recover the lead, and repack the rubber and off you go again.
That sounds like another option to look at, thanks. :bang:
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

The problem I have found with phone books is that they "swell" after they have taken a few pellets. It doesn't take long with my airgun for the phone books to start bulging out of the metal box I place them in. You also end up with confetti everywhere and the pellets embedded in the phone book. It's very messy.

My research into the lead backstop leads me to believe they never need replacing or repairing. Even if they do, you just recast the lead and start again.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Another random thought....

What about the modern poly foams used for cool rooms and the like? I know there are some structural foams rated at 25lb per sqft, and probably higher would be available. As long as the foam is up against a backer it shouldn't resonate.